Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound dampening material

• 11-08-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Anyone knows where I could find some sound dampening material? Not looking to pay €40-50 for two tiny Akasa sheets, I prefer the DIY way, from a cost and flexibility point of view.
    An actual shop in Dublin where I could walk in and find what I need, would be preferred, but an online shop would also be fine, if you have tried it before.
    Thanks for your replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I looked into this before, one of the best things you can do is find a sheet of thin neoprene around 1.5 mill. Cut it out to fit, glue it to the insides of the case. Helps with vibration too. There will be a slight insulation effect, but its nominal assuming you have good airflow through the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

I've done this before (back in Greece) and I know which materials are the best. My question was more about "where to find?" than "what to use?" ;)

You rock. I was looking at their clearance area and saw this:
    DESCRIPTION: Y37 packing foam 54x76 1/8" thick sheets and assorted scrap. These sheets and pieces are falloff from cutting our acoustic foam. They are great for packing furniture for moving, light sound blocking or anything else you can think of! The thickness of these sheets may not be consistent throughout. Original retail price $4.50
    PRICE EACH: $3.50
    NUMBER AVAILABLE: 21

I believe 1/8" is about 3mm, would that do?

Sounds good, I think I used a similar product before sound proofing a room. Should work fine for low noise levels at that thickness. Have you got the clearance inside the case for it?

• Advertisement

They also have

"Packing Foam 3002CH .05"x9.375"x12.375"

Lots of 10 for 7 Dollars. Its moderately soundproof(according to them) and also antistatic. I think you could get custom sheets of it done up for quite cheap too.

Have you got the clearance inside the case for it?

Aluminium and steel do not stop me, you think foam is going to be a problem? [Satanic laugh]

I ended up ordering one of this (7mm) and one of this (10mm).
    Will let you know if/how it works.

Advertisement