Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Around The World

• 11-08-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by this thread. I thought I'd start a new one where each poster picks a country and posts up some information about a metal band from that country. Some links to their music would also be good. Obviously some countries are going to be a lot easier than others :).

Countries Done So Far:
    • Japan
    • Poland
    • Sweden
    • Taiwan
    • Finland
    • Denmark
    • Israel
    • USA
    • Ireland
    • France
    • Romania
    • Germany
    • Russia
    • Ukraine
    • Argentina
    • Norway
    • Greece
    • England
    • Hungary
    • Scotland
    • Serbia
    • Chile
    • Switzerland
    • Portugal
    • Slovakia
    • Iran
    • Brazil
    • Mexico
    • New Zealand
    • Italy
    • Spain
    • Australia
    • Canada
    • The Netherlands
    • Switzerland
    • Turkey

First up I'm going to jump out of Europe over to Tokyo, Japan for a band called Heavens Dust. They were formed in 2000 and combine Japanese instruments with more familiar electric guitar melodies to create a very interesting sound.

dust.png

Check out their Myspace page here and their official website here.

Here's one video I found on a quick Youtube search:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Poland is definitely a country I would love to visit. The Black Metal scene there is awesome, one of the best in Europe that's for sure.The best I believe would be Behemoth which are out of this world. They have been active since 1991. Last year they were banned from performing in their home country as they promoted Satanism and murder. Eventually the ban was lifted as it was in violation of free speech, and tearing up the bible on stage did not go down well with a lot of the Polish officials and the church especially. An excellent style incorporating brilliant drumming into their work.

behemoth.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Sweden - Meshuggah (before anyone else mentions them)
    meshuggah.jpg

/thread, I win mwahahahahahahahah! :D

From wiki
    ............They are known for their technical, complex and innovative musicianship, polyrhythmic song structures and mathematical songwriting. Meshuggah have been labelled as one of the ten most important hard and heavy bands by Rolling Stone and as the most important band in metal by Alternative Press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Chthonic - Symphonic Metal from Taiwan. Their corpsepaint designs incorporate elements of traditional Chinese opera costume.

Here's one song in particular I quite like:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

DENMAN wrote:
    Poland and Behemoth

Good choice. Although not BM, I like Frontside (metalcore/ deathcore), who were in Ireland in 2006:

http://www.frontsiderocks.com/main.php?zm_j=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Apocalyptica.

Wiki entry:

Apocalyptica is a Finnish cello metal band, composed of classically trained cellists and, since 2005, a drummer. Three of the cellists are graduates of the Sibelius Academy in Helsinki, Finland. Their music features elements from classical music, neo-classical metal, thrash metal, and symphonic metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Keeping the Scandinavian theme going, I'm putting forward Mnemic from Denmark. The first I heard of these guys was Rhys Fulber of Front Line Assembly fame's remix of Blood Stained off their 2003 album Mechanical Spin Phenomena. They play a mix of industrial and progressive metal. I would say if you are a fan of Meshuggah or Fear Factory you'll like these guys (if you haven't already heard of them of course :) ).

IMG_7739.jpg
    Check out their Myspace page here

Some videos:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nice thread! :D

A little more far afield are Melechesh from Israel:

Terrific band, and give a nice middle eastern twist to their music, like so:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'm not sure if you're looking for more obscure bands, if so Karl can delete this. If not I'm gonna take the easy road and stick in Tool for USA.

What can I say about them that you guys don't already know, simply an excellent band.

Each album they release is something different yet still keeping that individual Tool vibe that seems to influence so many other bands.

Admittedly they don't always hit the mark but when they do, they really do.

Not only noted for their music but their 'arty' videos.

No prizes for guessing my favourite song :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

How about closer to home?
    People often overlook the Irish scene.

Here are Primordial:
    http://www.myspace.com/fallentoruin

Fallen Empire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHvuXdhnieA

Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primordial_(band)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Was going to do Taiwan until Undergod beat me to it, Chthonic are an absolutely fantastic band.

Surprised no-one has done Ireland yet :)
    Going to put forth Darkest Era:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=182406207

Excellent band from about Fermanagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

France
    Gojira
    http://www.myspace.com/gojira

Death metal band with some enviromental themes as well. ****ing Epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Pugsley wrote: »
    Surprised no-one has done Ireland yet :)

ireland was mentioned AGES ago!
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Germany, the home of power metal :D I'll go with Blind Guardian

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Russian folk pagan metal band Arkona is my contribution.

http://www.myspace.com/arkonarussia

Damn, I had bands lined up for both Germany and Russia :(. I guess I'll have to monitor the thread more closely :). I've updated the first post with countries that have already been done to make it easier to track.

This morning I present Tol from Kiev in Ukraine.The singer raps, sings and screams so they have quite a versatile sound. If I was to compare them to more well-known bands I suppose they sound a bit like Korn and the guitarist likes to produce strange sounds from his guitar which is slightly reminiscent of Rage Against The Machine.

_DSC0702t.jpg

Their homepage is here. There doesn't seem to be any English translation provided so the simplest way to navigate is to watch the URLs as you hover the mouse cursor over the various links.

Their MySpace page is here.

Some YouTube videos:

Today's contribution is Bruthal 6 from Argentina.
    611376.gif
    They wear masks so if you dislike bands like Slipknot or Mushroom head then you probably won't like these guys either :). Their MySpace page contains a link to their home page which doesn't work and the text on that page is all in Spanish so I don't know very much about the band.

Probably the most interesting thing they did was a cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

Norway

Who can exclude Norway from this wonderful list. The home of black metal and some very good death metal bands as well.

And in western norway (home to Vrangsinn, Ghaal, Nattefrost, Hoest) here you can find some really good gems.

But i pick some other band. TÖXIK DEATH a return to good old days of thrash metal. Their album can be found at http://toxik.death.misantrof.net.
    These are maybe not known but an up and coming band all the same, with a vinyl release planned for the end of the year.

Of course i could have mention amok (http://amok.misantrof.net) but I am for the little people and the less well known bands.

As with all the other great bands on this little label all the music released is available for free.

Going to make a second contribution if that is ok. This time, going with Norway metallers Tristania. Been listening to them for a while and they are brilliant. Went through a change in vocalist last year as the lead singer went on to become a singer instructor and she was replaced with an Italian girl, Mariangela Demurtas. She definitely brings out a darker side to the band. She deserves a chance to shine in the band. Not just Gothic Metal but with a lot of Doom elements to the band aswell. Awesome. Any one else out there a fan of them?

Gracious thanks to Dave Mustaine for his unwitting worldwide Christian plugging of Greek Black Metal band Rotting Christ in 2005:

http://www.rotting-christ.com

http://www.myspace.com/rottingchristabyss

Athanati Este (You are immortal) 2004

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hasn't been much mention of England, and it does have an incredible amount of great bands. Here's a couple I like:

Akercocke:

Biomechanical:

DenMan wrote: »
    Going to make a second contribution if that is ok. This time, going with Norway metallers Tristania. Been listening to them for a while and they are brilliant. Went through a change in vocalist last year as the lead singer went on to become a singer instructor and she was replaced with an Italian girl, Mariangela Demurtas. She definitely brings out a darker side to the band. She deserves a chance to shine in the band. Not just Gothic Metal but with a lot of Doom elements to the band aswell. Awesome. Any one else out there a fan of them?
    I saw them in London when they supported Nightwish in 2005. I hated the death grunt vocals but liked pretty much everything else :).
    DenMan wrote: »
    Poland is definitely a country I would love to visit. The Black Metal scene there is awesome, one of the best in Europe that's for sure.The best I believe would be Behemoth which are out of this world. They have been active since 1991. Last year they were banned from performing in their home country as they promoted Satanism and murder. Eventually the ban was lifted as it was in violation of free speech, and tearing up the bible on stage did not go down well with a lot of the Polish officials and the church especially. An excellent style incorporating brilliant drumming into their work.
    Having been there, I can wholeheartedly recommend Poland, especially if you're a metal fan :).

Here is Alhana from Budapest in Hungary.
    27839_photo.jpg

They remind me of Nightwish in some ways:
    • Female singer.
    • Lots of synths used.
    • Drummer wears a bandanna.
    • Bass player has a beard.

Anyway, I'll stop clutching at straws for the comparison :). Suffice to say that if you like Nightwish, you'll probably like this band too. Their homepage is here but it's in Hungarian. Their MySpace page has a few songs on it that are well worth a listen.

Some Youtube videos:
    Doing a cover of Bye Bye Beautiful by Nightwish (Terrible sound quality).

A song called Az Ördög Csókja

Drummer wearing bandanna :)

Thanks for that Malice. Yep, huge metal fan here and Poland is on my "to do list". Definitely going to take a listen to Alhana. Only got into Tristania a few months ago and because they supported Nightwish in 2005 they must have been headhunted. That must have been a terrific gig. I love Nightwish as I am still itching to finally see them live, in the new year hopefully I can see them, plus I want to get my hands on their book before Christmas as then I can get the writers opinion as to what exactly happened in 2005 and the chain of events which led up to it. Suffice to say Tarja has been pretty quiet recently and as for Marcelo....I'd rather not say. When the band were flying in for gigs and promos separately there was something definitely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Scotland

Alestorm
    pirate power metal

myspace: http://www.myspace.com/alestorm

Over the seas

captain morgans revenge(album title track)

i know germany was already posted but heres an a cappella metal band called Van Canto

myspace: http://www.myspace.com/vancanto

metallica cover battery

Today's band is Abonos from Belgrade in Serbia.

band_up.jpg

They feature both male and female vocals, describing themselves on their MySpace page as "a complex opera metal with female and male vocal". Their genre is given as gothic metal which I think fits them quite well. Happily their homepage has plenty of English on it so if you want to read more about them you can :).

I find some of the harmonies between the vocals can sound a little strange but I would still highly recommend listening to them!

Some YouTube videos:

U Krošnjama Abonosa

Recollection Gallery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Here are Magica from Constanţa in Romania.

13291_photo.jpg

They are another Power Metal band. I think singer Ana Mladinovici has a fantastic voice. Check out their MySpace page here. Their homepage is also worth a visit as you can download some MP3s and videos for free from there.

Some YouTube videos:

Moving away from Power Metal to Industrial Metal today with Sybreed from Switzerland.
    3.jpg
    They remind me quite a bit of a less harsh version of Demanufacture-era Fear Factory or Spineshank. Have a listen to the songs on their MySpace page and make up your own mind I suppose :).

Here are some videos:

Like Cristiano Ronaldo, not exactly my cup of tea but arguably Portugals best. At the very least they're the only native metal band to go No. 1 with album: Memorial. Goth colour video.

www.moonspell.com

www.myspace.com/moonspell

And speaking of Nightwish (sorry, can't resist), if Smirnoff did Heineken, then Alkonost would be the best Nightwish in the world:

• Advertisement

Today's addition is Gloom from Slovakia.

promo01.jpg

Their singer has a very distinctive and deep voice which I think is well worth a listen. My favourite track of theirs is probably Dead Romance which can be heard on their MySpace page. Unfortunately they only seem to have released one album (in 2006) and according to their home page haven't gigged since then either.

Advertisement