Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Around The World

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Back to theme, Austrian death metal band Lost Dreams have supported the likes of Motorhead and Sepultura in Europe.

www.lost-dreams.com

Track: "Evil unleashed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

djScarey wrote: »
    Anna Murphy has an Irish pa.
    She has an Irish personal assistant? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I felt this had to go into this thread, not metal but certainly global rock at its best:

malice_ wrote: »
    She has an Irish personal assistant? :P

Access all areas would definitely appeal on the job description.

PS thanks for Slania's Song link, malice..best version online yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

More Japanese stuff - Dir en Grey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

John wrote: »
    I felt this had to go into this thread, not metal but certainly global rock at its best:

Lull us into a false sense of security, and then BAM, hit us with Status Quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Quo > All

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

A very unique combination here. From Wales, Skindred. Classified as Ragga-metal. Lead singer is a Rastafarian. Were reviewed on last months edition of Hammer. Currently touring at the moment.

http://www.myspace.com/skindred

Oh, man, I saw Skindred on TV a few weeks ago, the ragga vocals mixed really well with the metal I thought. Crazy stuff :D Those two videos are good fun.

It was the best two I could find. They are quite good. Wasn't sure I would like them first but they are pretty good. Good mix they have going on there.

Been around since '99 but only took off around 03.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    A very unique combination here. From Wales, Skindred.
    Nice find! The only bands I could think of from Wales were Bullet For My Valentine and Lost Prophets, neither of which I wanted to post up :).

As for other countries that aren't done yet, here is a Progressive Metal band called Mystica who hail from Sofia in Bulgaria.

mystica.jpg

The songs on their MySpace page are well worth a listen if you like Progressive Metal. There are also some MP3s available for download from their home page.

Oh man no-one has mentioned The Berzerker yet! They kind of come across as a mix of grindcore and breakcore- really heavy industrial electro. They're from Melbourne, Australia.

Also worth mentioning are Cauterized- from South Africa, or Denmark, depending on what era you look at, and the drum programmer is based in Finland, and has never met the lead guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

Wow keel, that post must have taken you ages to type out :). Do you have any links to that band? A quick search only turned up references to the movie and a band starring members from The Verve.

Wikipedia says their Swedish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_(Swedish_band)
    Saw them at Fellfest. The singer is a crazy f**ker, blood-letting and bottle-into-crowd throwing. There were rumours he was shouting some racist sh!t on stage too, but I wasn't sure about that. Regardless, I thought they were bloody amazing, must pick up some of their albums. Playing here in January.

Quote from Wikipedia: "Razorblades were handed to members of the audience, and one person was kicked in the chest after grabbing Kvarforth's [the vocalist] genitals"

At Hellfest. By the way, that red on his arms, that ain't paint.

Anyway, for today's band I'm going to go for Nemesea from The Netherlands. There are some excellent female-fronted metal bands from The Netherlands like Within Temptation, After Forever and Imperia but I decided to pick a band that's probably not as well known.

I can't believe you were talking about female fronted bands from the Netherlands and omitted The Gathering.

Delorian wrote: »
    I can't believe you were talking about female fronted bands from the Netherlands and omitted The Gathering.
    I just listed off three from the top of my head and they weren't on the list. I'm not that much of a fan of theirs to be honest. I picked up their album Mandylion on an impulse a couple of years ago (I think it was reduced in price on Amazon) and I wasn't all that impressed with it. I should probably give it another listen though :).

Purgatory-the Indonesian version. Yes, they do remind.....

http://purgatorymogsaw.multiply.com/

"Pathetic"

"Oblivius Insanity"

djScarey wrote: »
    Purgatory-the Indonesian version. Yes, they do remind.....
    They do remind what?

I was hoping nobody had mentioned these guys these yet. From Sweden, Amon Amarth. The name of band means "Mount Doom" in Sindarin (J.R.R. Tolkien universe) Fall into the category of Melodic Death Metal/Viking Metal. Awesome band. Back in Europe touring end of Oct/all of Nov.

http://www.amonamarth.com/

picture.php?albumid=77&pictureid=727

aapic1.jpg

Jesus DenMan is that first picture from your last post big enough? :)

Moving on, here's a Christian Metal band called Sacrom from Trujillo, Peru. The music on their MySpace page features some wailing from the lead singer that might well hurt your ear drums if listened to at too high a volume!

42614_photo.JPG

Jesus DenMan is that first picture from your last post big enough? :)

Meant to scale it down but laziness got in the way. Let me work on it now. :)

Scaled down ok. Not bad after drinking a lot and using wi-fi at Manchester Academy. Break in the gig.

• Advertisement

Scaled down ok. Not bad after drinking a lot and using wi-fi at Manchester Academy. Break in the gig.
    Ah, you didn't have to change it :). I was getting used to the mad staring Viking eyes! What gig are you at?

Back on topic, here's Dantesco from Puerto Rico.

26525_photo.jpg

They describe themselves as a mixture of Candlemass and Mercyful Fate on their MySpace page. The Spanish lyrics certainly add an unusual touch to their sound.

About 18 seconds into this video, the singer produces a scream of a pitch that I never thought I'd hear from a grown man without genital surgery or helium being involved ;).

Hey malice

I was at the Backyard Babies gig at Academy 3 (Manchester), Sunday night. Have a few mates who are into Punk and got asked to go. Not hugely into Punk but it was a very good gig I have to say, good band live. Be back with some 'around the world' metal band in a bit, gonna do a search. :)

Ok right now currently lovin' Stream of Passion. Just got into them via last.fm.(How did the hell did I not get into them before....:o) From the Netherlands (lead singer is Mexican) and under the category of Symphonic/Progressive Metal. Brill deal for them as they have been recently signed to Napalm Records (August 2008) Definitely on my to do list for gigs. Anybody familar with them?, or see them perform live?

http://www.streamofpassion.com/

http://www.myspace.com/streamofpassionband

Ok right now currently lovin' Stream of Passion. Just got into them via last.fm.(How did the hell did I not get into them before....:o)
    Stream of Passion reminds me a lot of Angtoria. That's a good thing as I really like Angtoria ;).

If you like Marcela Bovio's voice then you should also check out Elfonia who are another band that she sings with.

Stream of Passion reminds me a lot of Angtoria. That's a good thing as I really like Angtoria ;).

If you like Marcela Bovio's voice then you should also check out Elfonia who are another band that she sings with.

Your right there man. My recently acquired last.fm account agrees with you, as indeed do I. :)

I also just recently bought God Has A Plan For Us All from Angtoria, and love the album. Sarah Jessica has an amazing voice. Give me a bit of time as I will put up another wonderful band from around the world very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Diablo Swing Orchestra from Sweden. They f***ckin' rule!!!

535220__diabloswingorchestra.jpg

They play avant garde metal. Lots of swing and jazz influences.

They've yet to make any video's but here's a listen at my favourite song Balrog Boogie

Nightwish wrote: »

535220__diabloswingorchestra.jpg

They play avant garde metal. Lots of swing and jazz influences.

They've yet to make any video's but here's a listen at my favourite song Balrog Boogie

Wow, it's like stepping back in time. Thanks for that. Had a look at their website. Be awesome if they tour over here. I'm all for Swedish bands. Nice one.Gonna play some more of their stuff (as loud as I possibly can)

Nightwish wrote: »
    Ah yes, they definitely score points for originality :). Their MySpace page has a bunch of tracks that are well worth listening too. The story of the origins of the Diablo Swing Orchestra on there is well worth a read too.
    DenMan wrote:
    I'm all for Swedish bands.
    In that case, here's another Swedish band - Decadence from Stockholm in Sweden.

Promo_2007.jpg

This band blew me away when I heard them first. I had a " :eek: What the fuck, that's a female singer?" moment similar to the first time I heard Angela Gossow singing with Arch Enemy :). Their sound is probably best described as melodic thrash metal. The growled vocals and the unrelenting drums provide quite an abrasive sound in places but the two guitarists regularly pull seriously infectious melodies seemingly out of nowhere. I am eagerly awaiting their new album which they are apparently in the process of recording.

Their homepage has a few tracks available for free download and there are also a bunch of others on their MySpace page.

The historical background of the band really fascinates me. The many forms of Protestanism are huge in Scandinavia and Lutherism is the main denomination. They went into hiding from the church and in the end were martyred.

Thanks for the Decadence link. After the Arch Enemy gig in Dec 2005 I spoke to Angela Gossow backstage. She is a lovely woman, very friendly and doesn't speak at all like when she is performing on stage. She is a huge fan of Decadence, Coroner and Celtic Frost.

• Advertisement

Estatic Fear, from Austria and around since 1994. Just got linked to them from Tristania via last.fm, so I thought I'd put them up. I like the sound of them actually. Put down as Symphonic/Doom metal with elements of folk music added for good measure, blends really well.

http://ccpcom.window.hl-users.com/ccprecords/ef.htm

estatic_fear_01.jpg

Advertisement