Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Around The World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Lykathea Aflame, Czech Republic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySF_eXKzz2A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DenMan wrote: »
    The historical background of the band really fascinates me. The many forms of Protestanism are huge in Scandinavia and Lutherism is the main denomination. They went into hiding from the church and in the end were martyred.
    Well I know I can't comment on the impact of religion on Scandinavia, I'm just into the music ;).
    DenMan wrote:
    Thanks for the Decadence link. After the Arch Enemy gig in Dec 2005 I spoke to Angela Gossow backstage. She is a lovely woman, very friendly and doesn't speak at all like when she is performing on stage. She is a huge fan of Decadence, Coroner and Celtic Frost.
    Yeah, she comes across as very friendly in any interviews I've ever seen with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

malice_ wrote: »
    Well I know I can't comment on the impact of religion on Scandinavia, I'm just into the music ;).

Yeah, she comes across as very friendly in any interviews I've ever seen with her.

Nice one. I am hardly an expert on religion, but I enjoy reading all forms of history and that one really caught my attention. What can I say, I love reading (nerdish I know, but who cares) I love the music, I also love backgrounds and history, nice combination if I may say so myself. :)

Angela. Yes she is a very friendly person. Be great if they come here.

Anyway back with the music. Going to go with Lunatica. These guys are from Switzerland and are Symphonic Metal. Been around since 1998. I really like them.

http://www.lunatica.ch/
    http://www.myspace.com/lunaticametal

76e9b2acdebe7a399ab0a1e8822fc19e_full.jpg

Anyway back with the music. Going to go with Lunatica.
    Good choice there! I picked up their album Fables & Dreams not long after it came out in 2004 and loved it. Their next album, Edge of Infinity, didn't grab my attention half as much but I can't really explain why.

This is probably my favourite song off Fables & Dreams - The Spell:

My new course has seen me neglect this thread. Must rectify that now. From the Netherlands and under the category of Symphonic Metal. This is Delain. I really like these guys very much.

http://www.delain.nl/
    http://www.myspace.com/delainmusic

delain.jpg

• Advertisement

I was tempted to post another Japanese band to bring Karl Hungus back to the thread but instead I'll continue the female vocalist theme :P. Here are Deadlock from Leipzig in Germany.

5413_photo.jpg

Check out their home page here and their MySpace page here.
    They have been around since 1997 but, in my opinion at least, their early releases weren't all that interesting. While the growled vocals from Johannes Prem were interesting, the songs seemed to lack melody. That started to change with their 2005 release, Earth.Revolt when Sabine Weniger sang on a couple of tracks. I think her voice provides a fabulous contrast to the relentless assault of the rest of the band. The two guitarists provide often quite intricate melodic lines on top of the solid foundation provided by the drums, bass and synths. Their 2007 album Wolves was even better, continuing the more melodic direction that their sound has taken. I am eagerly awaiting their new album this winter, titled Manifesto.

Awakened By Sirens (Live)

Code of Honour

Earth.Revolt

Been away on hols and my buddy malice has let this thread slip to page 3.

Have to have a word with you my man. :)

Let's get it going again. :)

This time going to go with Tarot. These guys are from Finland and are fronted by Nightwish bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala. Amazingly these guys have been around since 1985. Very popular underground band and have really now come into their own since Marco joined Nightwish in 2002, this gave the band a lot of exposure, and they have ran with it so far. Newest studio album relesed in 2006 (Crows Fly Back). They have a new DVD/2CD out now called Undead Indeed.

Officially listed down as under the category of Heavy/Power Metal these guys are brilliant. They were founded by the Hietala brothers, who are both still fully fledged members. If they come here they are on my to do list regarding gigs.

4339_photo.jpg

tarot2.jpg

(live performance is fu**ing awesome)

Been away on hols and my buddy malice has let this thread slip to page 3.

Have to have a word with you my man. :)

Let's get it going again. :)

This time going to go with Tarot.
    Sorry! I thought I'd killed the thread with Deadlock. I guess no one else likes them except me :).

Good shout with Tarot. I got their Undead Indeed DVD recently. It's well worth checking out if you're a fan. Actually, even if you're not a fan, check it out. You might get converted ;).

I thought I would try and keep this on the front page before DenMan notices it has slipped :).

Today I present Melancholy from Elektrostal in Russia.

melancholy_band2.jpg

I first came across this band when they were referenced in a discussion on cover songs. They did an excellent cover of Replica by Fear Factory on their 2004 album Abeyance (I think). They have been together since 1998 so their sound has undergone some interesting evolutions in that time. Their early releases were quite harsh sounding but over time they have added synths and various other instruments such as a cello to the mix. They have a similar vocal approach to Lacuna Coil with harsh male and clean female vocals. I think they are a lot heavier than Lacuna Coil though :).

Check out their homepage here and their MySpace page here.

Great to get back here again. Just fell in love with another band. These guys are from Austria and have been around to their credit since 1998. This is Edenbridge.

Officially listed as being under the category of Symphonic Metal and also Neo-classical Metal. Brilliant band, love them to bits. Last year they signed a new deal to be represented by Napalm Records, awesome deal for them. Newest album, MyEarthDream relesed in April 2008.

http://www.myspace.com/edenbridge

http://www.edenbridge.org/

edenbridge126granddesign.jpg

(live performance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

What this thread needs is some blackened thrash metal, Singaporean style!

Impiety played in Fibbers at the end of August along with UK band Spearhead and local support from Eternal Helcaraxe and Nephridium. Needless to say they ****in ripped it up.

Myspace
    http://www.myspace.com/impietyofficial

Youtube vids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Bahrain (Warning: Progressive Rock)

It might be a surprise to most but Bahrain actually has a large enough ungerground metal scene. Its not generally accepted by the Government here though so no big name bands. Only local guys.

The biggest Band to come out of Bahrain was in the 80's a prog band (influenced by Camel) called Osiris. Their last labum was released in 2006 if i'm not mistaken.

This is the only clip I can find on youtube -

Theres a bunch of small local bands play their own stuff around, but most seem to have vanished. I've only met one band around the place.

I'll throw up myspaces if anyone is interested.

Also how could any of you mention Poland without mentioning Riverside ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaSd3Gneggc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvmyxAnJLLI

I was over there last year. On our last day there I realised that Riverside were playing one of the pubs we were in on the night we left. Our flight was leaving about 6 hours before the show. I was bloody gutted.

Edit - Forgot to mention this is a ****ing great thread

Well I'm glad this thread didn't disappear off into the ether, I was getting worried :).

Some excellent posts recently guys!

c - 13 wrote:
    how could any of you mention Poland without mentioning Riverside ?
    This is an easy question to answer - I for one had never heard of them ;). They are pretty good though. I will definitely give them a longer listen.

The videos you posted are giving me a "this video is no longer available error" :(.

malice_ wrote: »
    This is an easy question to answer - I for one had never heard of them ;). They are pretty good though. I will definitely give them a longer listen.

The videos you posted are giving me a "this video is no longer available error" :(.

Hmm, I dont know why thats happening now. They were working earlier. I've jsut added the link to underneath each in the post now so you should be able to follow the links at least (I hope)

Almost forgot these guys, they're not half bad. From United Arab Emirates (Dubai to be specific) - Nervecell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S78D2Rl9mng

They played the Dubai desert rock festival there earlier this year (which is the biggest metal festival in this part of the world) so hopefully they'll get themselves a bit more well known.

Especially for DenMan, here's yet another female-fronted metal band :). I present Operatika from New Jersey in the USA. They have toured with the likes of Therion, Nightwish, Kamelot and er, Europe so you can guess what they sound like! I picked up their album "The Calling" this week. The first thing that jumps out is that their guitarist really likes his widdly solos so if that's your thing you should love this!

bandshoot.jpg

Check out their MySpace page here.

These two video are different songs, I didn't make a note of the titles, sorry!

Rescuing this thread is becoming a full time job. :)

Just got their new album today, The Last Alliance. This is Battlelore. These guys are brilliant. From Finland, active since 1999, they are under the category of Gothic/Power/Folk/Death Metal and have recently dabbled in Industrial. Due to their huge interest in fantasy they draw a lot from the J.R.R.Tolkien Middle Earth World.Signed to Napalm Records (my second favourite behind Nuclear Blast). In the midst of a European tour right now.

Links:

http://www.battlelore.net/ (official)

http://www.myspace.com/battleloremusic

battlelore.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I know someone who lives next door to the lead singer of Battlelore. She's in a few of the vids too afaik.

My offering is Penumbra from France. They are a gothic metal band, in the vein of Sirenia and old Tristania. They are currently unsigned but have released 3 excellent albums (Emanate, The Last Bewitchment, Seclusion) through independent label Seasons of Mist.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I know someone who lives next door to the lead singer of Battlelore. She's in a few of the vids too afaik.

My offering is Penumbra from France. They are a gothic metal band, in the vein of Sirenia and old Tristania. They are currently unsigned but have released 3 excellent albums (Emanate, The Last Bewitchment, Seclusion) through independent label Seasons of Mist.

That's something else allright. They do sound brilliant. Regarding Penumbra during the summer I bought their album, Seclusion. Quite right they are represented by Season of Mist (Independent) (as are Viking Crown and Morgul). They have been called an amalgamation of Nightwish and Dimmu Borgir (which puts them up the upper echelons imo). Also like Sirenia and older Tristania. I also think they sound very similar to Therion. Nice link. Thanks. :)

On a side note. How was the Within Temptation gig? My mates were in dreamland when they returned. Between work and now Uni they both got in the way I'm afraid. Went to the Within Temptation forums and somebody put a thread together regarding their 2009 tour. When I saw Ireland listed to kick off the tour in Sept I was so excited. That is until the mod closed it because it was a fake as the touring schedule had been officially released yet. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh god I wanted to hurt someone for posting that thread on the WT forums! :(

My offering for now: Kotiteollisuus.
    Finnish-language hard rock, rather awesome :)
    Together since 1991, and recording since 1997 in their current form, they've released 9 albums to date, and at the moment I'm rather addicted to their 7th album - oddly enough called 7.

Wiki
    Videos:
    (Jos Sanon)

(Murheen Mailla)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

/OT WT announced at the gig last week that they arent touring at all next year. They're taking a year off to rest and to write the new album. Also with regards to the false tour dates that appeared on the forum, the fact that it was supposedly scheduled for the Point was a total giveaway.

Well I hope they enjoy 2009, they have really earned it. I have the Nightwish performance live from Lowlands Festival this year. Awesome performance. Has anybody noticed the same guy that has appeared at the festival every year from at least 2005 onwards? A heavy man with a moustache. The man is there every year, the camera always goes on him. What a dedicated fan, my hat is off to him. Just noticed Jukka is sporting a very heavy goatee now.

I am sure Within Temptation will be back with brand new material and an even bigger fan base. They have earned the time to relax and get back to writing new material.

Shame to see this thread slipping away into oblivion so just a quick resurrection with Bhayanak Maut - From India (Bombay to be precise).

They have some live stuff up on youtube but the sound quality is terrible so a link to their myspace is probably a better idea -
    http://www.myspace.com/bhayanakmautmusic

They have only released a single 4-Track album so far called "Malignant".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Tenochtitlan are a Russian correspondence "ethnic doom metal band" with Senmuth as chief architect and central post office. "Ethnic" refers more to South American Inca and Aztec than Russian components to the sound. Of late, gone more industrial. "Their" MySpace is worth a visit-listen if you like metal variations:

http://www.myspace.com/tenochtitlanofficial

and a bit of:

Going to go with Silentium. Been active since 1995 (previously known as Funeral). Hailing from Finland and under the category of Gothic Metal. Previously signed to Spikefarm Records (a division of Spinefarm Records) and this has really helped them as they have supported Nightwish in 2003 and Tuomas Holopainen produced their album Sufferion - Hamartia of Prudence. Now signed to Dynamic Arts Records. New album AMORTEAN released on Dec 3 in Finland.

SilentiumBandPic1.jpg

http://www.silentivm.com/

http://www.myspace.com/silentiumband

I'm not sure if we've had anyone from Iceland yet. The only Icelandic musical acts I can think of are Bjork and Sigur Ros, neither of which belong on this thread :). Anyway, here's Shogun. Their debut album Charm City was released in October of this year I think.

shogun.png

The only videos up on Youtube are live recordings so the sound quality is a bit dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Some more finnish metal:

Mokoma:

Mokoma.jpg

Finnish trash metal band, they started to play at 1996. First they played more traditional hard rock, but without much success. Then they changed to the new style, created their own record company and the rest is history.

Marras:

Takatalvi:

Nujerra ihminen:

Sentenced

lineup.jpg

Sentenced is a Gothic Metal band from north Finland. They played between 1989–2005. Success was not that great untill the vocalist changed from Taneli Jarva to Ville Laihiala.

Sentenced - No one there

Sentenced - End of the Road

Sentenced - Killing me Killing You

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus

800px-Timo_Rautiainen_live_at_Tuska_2006.jpg

This band has gone as well, they played between 1997 – 2006. If you mention finnish metal this the band you kind have to mention as well, since they were big at their times. One summer they were playing so many music festivals that one show actually advertised that this band is not playing in there:)

A band that was in the top of the finnish metal scene many years and since the Finland is a metal country, this band was top of charts many times as well.

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus - Lumessakahlaajat

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus - Kylmä Tila

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus - Elegia

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus - Rajaton Rakkaus

Thanks itarumaa, you posted some excellent bands there! I didn't know that Ville Laihiala's had been part of Sentenced. His new band Poisonblack is also well worth checking out.

Another Finnish metal band (well it's a side project really) that has just come up on Winamp for me is For My Pain. Probably their most famous member is the keyboard player who is none other than Tuomas Holopainen from Nightwish.

fmp2.jpg

Check out their Myspace page here.

So far they have only released one album but hopefully they will get together in the future and release more stuff.

Here's a band I was introduced to last week. I'm quite partial to female vocalists at the best of times, all the more so when they don't sing in English. That way my lazy brain doesn't have to even attempt to decipher the lyrics :).

With that in mind I was delighted when the same person that recommended Melancholy recommended another band to me. Here are the rather plainly-named Save from Moscow in Russia.

90375_photo.jpg

Vocalist Viktoria Belikova produces some suitably demonic screams and growls and well as some suitably restrained harmonised singing in places.

Here's a song called Стояли Звери

Check out their MySpace page here. Their homepage is here but it's in Russian so it's not going to be the easiest to read :).

• Advertisement

From Finland this is Charon. This Gothic Metal five piece have been active since 1992 and have released 5 studio albums. Back touring again and will be touring Finland in March 09.

http://www.charon.fi/

charon1.jpg

Advertisement