Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Vista Ultimate - More than 4 gigs of ram problems

Options
  • 11-08-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem putting more RAM in my machine.

MoBo: MSI P6N SLI-FI, Sockel 775 nForce650i SLI
    RAM: 2 X 4096MB-Kit OCZ PC2-6400 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth (2 sticks of 2gigs)

I have 4 gigs installed and when I run the Vista performance indexer I get a base score of 5.1 determined by the lowest score which is the RAM. Everything else is at 5.9.

When I install the next stick of RAM (now 6 gigs). I can see 6 gigs installed in the Computer Properties. When I run the indexer though it does not complete and the base score is now 4.5 based on the RAM. (why the RAM score goes down I do not know). Everything else is still 5.9.

I have gone into the BIOS and change the times as per the OCZ RAM instructions to 4-4-3-15* (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS). When I start the machine it does not boot until I change the timings back to the default settings.
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_pc2_6400_reaperx_hpc_enhanced_bandwidth_4gb

I just noticed the note that say these timings are for NVIDIA nForce 680i chipset ONLY. Can’t seem to find the timings for 650i.

When I install all 8 gigs the machine wont boot.

Also, I can’t up the voltage in the BIOS as it is grayed out and I am unable to enable it.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I have 4 gigs installed and when I run the Vista performance indexer I get a base score of 5.1 determined by the lowest score which is the RAM. Everything else is at 5.9.

Besides the fact that the Vista index is a load of rubbish, that would seem about right.
    When I install the next stick of RAM (now 6 gigs). I can see 6 gigs installed in the Computer Properties. When I run the indexer though it does not complete and the base score is now 4.5 based on the RAM. (why the RAM score goes down I do not know). Everything else is still 5.9.

Ram runs in Dual channel mode, dropping 1 stick in would cause it to register in single channel mode. Since Vista will rate at the slowest part, your one stick of ram just became it.

I have gone into the BIOS and change the times as per the OCZ RAM instructions to 4-4-3-15* (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS). When I start the machine it does not boot until I change the timings back to the default settings.
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_pc2_6400_reaperx_hpc_enhanced_bandwidth_4gb

Unfortunately you sometimes have to make sacrifices when you put in 4 sticks of ram. Out of curiosity, what timings is it defaulting to?
    I just noticed the note that say these timings are for NVIDIA nForce 680i chipset ONLY. Can’t seem to find the timings for 650i.

Marketing BS, the sticks should do those timings in any board capable of handling it.
    When I install all 8 gigs the machine wont boot.

That's a problem. Try just 2 sticks in the pair that would not boot, ie; empty your current slots and use the next two. Also rotate the sticks of ram around, make sure one is not faulty. Try to isolate the problem, make sure its not the ram. After that you are looking at a RMA of the board, or a power issue(very unlikely)
    Also, I can’t up the voltage in the BIOS as it is grayed out and I am unable to enable it.

check the manual for a advanced bios mode. I think its ctrl & F1. Not entirely sure though.

Advertisement