Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked Car Passat TDI 2005

Options
  • 11-08-2008 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

Well as you may have read I bought a new Passat TDI (130) sport highline. 2004.

It was sold to me eng reg in Dublin (I live in the north).
    It had a MOT sticker but not Tax disk and no service history.

Before I went down to Dublin on Friday I had 3 independent checks done o the place and the reg serial number from the owner’s document. All came back clear no warnings or suspicions.

Then last night I looked up about getting a replacement tax and mot cert, and found that the last mot on the 2/2/08 the miles which have to be recorded in England was 135,000 yet the clock said 67000 odd. It is obviously a clock and now the car is class but has left a sour taste in my mouth as you can imagine.

I bought it off a private sale in Dublin. The guy bought it in an auction in England and never reg it in his name. This not uncommon as it would look like it had 2 owners but he was just selling it on. I told him it was clocked and he was as shocked as me, but he could be acting.

I am posting not for abuse to be hurled at me for being so stupid, as I couldn’t have done much more homework on the car, but to see what you think I should do if anything, and to also see what the law says.... could I be done for having it at the miles that are clocked or do I have to get them changed to the real ones?

I though it was allot harder to do in the digital spedos.

Also a friend said it could have been a new engine and the miles could be reset. Is this a possibility?

Cheers and be nice :)

1Love

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

the auction house would have details of the car including mileage - ask the seller for the name of the auction house

if the auction house has the higher mileage recorded then the person that sold to you clocked it and you can persue him for a refund or get him thru the small claims court

HPI checks arent 100% accurate as not everyone puts in the mileage when doing them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it's a private sale you've no comeback. If he was a dealer (even a small time one) you may have legal redress open to you. Ask him for a refund to start with?

Pity you didn't check it out fully before you purchased. Did you HPI it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

private sellers don't go to the uk, buy a car at auction and not register it... the guy is an unregistered dealer looking for a quick buck. Persue him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

steve06 wrote: »
    private sellers don't go to the uk, buy a car at auction and not register it... the guy is an unregistered dealer looking for a quick buck. Persue him!

True, this is illegal isn't it?

jony1983ie wrote: »

I though it was allot harder to do in the digital spedos.

Actually it's far easier. Pick your mileage and that's it.
    New Volvo's apparently are immune to this though, and to my knowledge no other car manufacturer is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jony1983ie

I went to his house to get it so I have his address, only thing is he is a polish or eastern europen so I cant see him being to scared of the small claims. I did a HPI check AA check and vertas which the DVLNI use and all 3 came back great. Plus its in such good nick seat is harly warn peddles mats gear knob etc.

I have asked him for a refund but he said no as it is not his fault. I did pay cash (silly) and he will not tell me the auction house. He is also selling an sudi I have just found on carzone.ie but it has FSH so it is probably not clocked. I talked to the website to try and get him banned but they are useless.

I had no reason to think it was clocked as it is really in good nick. But i was trying to order a new mot cert and thats when my heart dropped.

I will contact the small claims cort. will they even give me the time of day as im from Canada(N.Ireland) and not Mexico (rep.Ireland)?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't it illegal for anyone to sell a car that is not registered here? I recall something of that nature being mentioned before!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Would the Gardai be of any use here?

I dont really have much dealing with the rent a cops (guard-e) but I know that up here you dont even have to put the miles on record so clocking is still a grey area and if you advertise it as sold as seen then its ok to sell it clocked. But as you can see he did not.

between a rock and a hard place indeed!

Msg Kbannon: Is it ok to talk about clocking as a topic? didnt see it in the rules so I just went ahead with it....

cheers

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Isn't it illegal for anyone to sell a car that is not registered here? I recall something of that nature being mentioned before!

It is I'm nearly sure. It's definately illegal to sell a car that has been clocked without informing the buyer of same. You can contact the Guards and get them to inform him of same, he has to give you your money back and he has to get his money back if he was unaware of it from where ever he bought it, but that's his tough crap.
    Call the cops. Too many of these small time traders runing the market for the rest of us anyway. My advise to anyone is don't buy from one of these trader guys. Go yourself to England or buy Irish. They buy any crap they can sell, as can be seen from this example.
    There are tens of thousands of Passats in Ireland not selling, bargaining is wide open. Call the cops, get your money back, teach him a lesson, and buy a better Passat for yourself.
    Otherwise you'll be done for it when you sell it on, that or you wont' be able to sell it on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Contact HPI. I believe you may have a case under their guarantee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Discussions about clocking are fine as long as they don't get boards involved in libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm sure Revenue would be interested in the dealings of this "private" seller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Did you buy that car for 8000 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

First off tell little fu@ker that you want a refund or:

Call the cops. Let them know the story, and that he will not tell you the name of the auction house. Tell them that he is selling an A4 (with the incorrect details on the web site too)
    Why the fu@k (if he is innocent) would he not tell you the auction house?
    He clocked the car for sure.
    As a previous poster said, you also have a case with the HPI guarentee.

Did you buy that car for 8000 euro?

I got it for 5000 sterling

Edit: just over 7000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Get onto the guards, HPI and revenue ASAP. Scum like that cant get away with it.

I will defently look into the HPI thing. I have rang the cops and they said they will get back to me when they are not so busy. Was a wee reception girl so awaiting their call. should I tell the PSNI?

• Advertisement

gpf101 wrote: »
    Get onto the guards, HPI and revenue ASAP. Scum like that cant get away with it.

pardon the question but who is the revenue?

Update.

The seller is now not answering my calls or text messages.
    I had two numbers for him and both ring out or he will not rely to.

He is selling the Audi under the same number so I tried private number thinking he would pick up, but no joy.

I think i should send him a message saying I am contacting the guards to scare him but im useless at that sort of thing.

Anyone word it for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try ringing from phone boxes 10 times a day?
    Involve the Garda.

At the end of the day you probably will have to "make do" with the car you bought but you can make things difficult for the prick that sold it to you. He will probably continue doing unlicensed sales of foreign cars in Dublin.

biko wrote: »
    Try ringing from phone boxes 10 times a day?
    Involve the Garda.

At the end of the day you probably will have to "make do" with the car you bought but you can make things difficult for the prick that sold it to you. He will probably continue doing unlicensed sales of foreign cars in Dublin.

True. I am happy with the car in general it drives like a dream and the internals are 5* its just the bad taste of being screwed even after taking all the checks.

I have contacted HPI via email as the phone was a waiting game and also the revenue.

Hoping to hear back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have rang the cops and they said they will get back to me when they are not so busy. Was a wee reception girl so awaiting their call. should I tell the PSNI?
    Try the Gardai again. Keep at them until they move on it. There's no point in telling the PSNI, this happened in the South. And don't ever buy a car without verifying the SH again. Cars without SH are almost always either uncared-for or clocked.

My car has no service history and its ok its just I dont have a steady garage or get it stamped. It does have stickers on it saying dates of parts changed eg timing belt UV glow added etc so it looked pretty clean. Plus I took a VW mechanic with me who wired it up to the laptop and said it was all tip top. So I had as much covered as i possibly could

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My car has no service history and its ok its just I dont have a steady garage or get it stamped. It does have stickers on it saying dates of parts changed eg timing belt UV glow added etc so it looked pretty clean. Plus I took a VW mechanic with me who wired it up to the laptop and said it was all tip top. So I had as much covered as i possibly could
    I don't mean to be smart here, but you bought a car with no SH and now you're surprised that it's clocked? If you don't want a clocked car you only buy with a full SH and you contact every garage who stamped the book to verify that the car was in fact serviced as and per the stamp. I mean come on, a UK Passat TDI being sold from an 085 number with no SH?? Of course it's clocked.

Anyway, what's done is done. Keep on top of the Gardai, if they start putting the heat on the seller, he may well refund your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

on the kind of same topic...I bought a car 4 weeks ago privately and the head gasket is now gone on it(have another thread going on it so sorry for annoying people). The receipt says sold as seen and no warranty. Fair enough, I think the head was gone and they put in a super coolant to last it a few weeks til it was away. Ordinarily I dont think i would have a come back however, I now found out that the engine had been replaced in the car 8 months ago. This isnt a huge thing except the tax form, V5, doesn't match the engine number. Can this be grounds to demand a refund or get money back on it? any help appreciated!

DaMonk wrote: »
    on the kind of same topic...I bought a car 4 weeks ago privately and the head gasket is now gone on it(have another thread going on it so sorry for annoying people). The receipt says sold as seen and no warranty. Fair enough, I think the head was gone and they put in a super coolant to last it a few weeks til it was away. Ordinarily I dont think i would have a come back however, I now found out that the engine had been replaced in the car 8 months ago. This isnt a huge thing except the tax form, V5, doesn't match the engine number. Can this be grounds to demand a refund or get money back on it? any help appreciated!

I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be smart here,

Yeh point taken on board and noted. (tail between legs)

I will ring again at half 4 and 5 before i break for the day.

Thanks for all your help

Advertisement