Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked Car Passat TDI 2005

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jony1983ie wrote: »
    Yeh point take on board and noted. (tail between legs)

I will ring again at half 4 and 5 before i break for the day.

Tahnsk for all your help
    Do keep at the Guards, it may take persistence, but getting them involved may well be the key to getting your money back. Good luck, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

True. I am happy with the car in general it drives like a dream and the internals are 5* its just the bad taste of being screwed even after taking all the checks.

I have contacted HPI via email as the phone was a waiting game and also the revenue.

Hoping to hear back soon

The problem is that when you go to sell the car on you have to inform the next owner that the mileage is not correct. Unfortunately altering the mileage on a car is not against the law to my knowledge but selling a car knowing that the mileage is altered is deemed to be breaking the law afaik.

Honestly I don't know how far you will get with regards getting your money back but at least it may prevent someone else from being caught by cowboys like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jony1983ie

tbh I would still buy it at the real miles I have just been smitten by it. But if it means someone out there is not stung then I will keep going till the bitter end!

NO SURRENDER :) (in a non political sence)

:p

1Love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

with the real miles its not worth what you paid.

did he give you the name of the auction house? i would contact them asap and verify what it was when they sold it - tho in all honesty I suspect he bought it on ebay cheap with the intention of clocking it and selling it on at a profit

no as in my previous post he has stopped all contact with me. Maybe he is reading this post even :)

Anyway I know what comapny owned the car first of all in england I rang them and they could only tell me the miles of its last mot on the 2/2/08 it was 136000 odd, and they do not know how it was sold as they give them to their supplier who is no longer with the company. (sounded like he left in a blaze of glory)

I know its not worth what I paid for it but tbh I have been looking for near a year and driven over 20 cars. none with the extras or style and comfort of this one and I am just happy with it.

I wonder if there is a way to get his email address off the carzone website that way i could email him incase his phone is broke or that ever.

Do carzone have to disclose the information they hold on him if the guards or I ask? and what sort of information do they hold?

hummm questions that I will look into me thinks.

DC Jonny1983ie is on the case! (que the Bill theme and me walking down some cobbles :))

• Advertisement

The shame of it is, the car probably does have a full SH for the actual mileage. If they had nets around the HSS, imagine how many service books they'd have caught over the years...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What about carzone, do they have any policy stating that the goods advertised on their site are legit to the best of their knowledge ?
    If so get onto them and make it harder for the git to operate.
    Check he isn't using other sites to advertise and hound him.

Have to say though buying UK car in Ireland with no serive history from guy operating from side of road type thing is a bit foolish.
    When last looking for car took a look at some UK imports, some were in poor state and definetly the miles did not appear to match the condition.
    As they say "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it is a bloody duck".

I am not allowed discuss …

Anan1 wrote: »
    The shame of it is, the car probably does have a full SH for the actual mileage. If they had nets around the HSS, imagine how many service books they'd have caught over the years...

yeh its a shame... I have the garages that did the mot's so I wonder if they did the service work and kept a noteof it... I could build my own service history... I feel like that blackadder guy on time team.. all i nead is a cornish yogle to follow me around in a straw hat

1Love

jmayo wrote: »
    "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it is a bloody duck".
    what can i say! when your rite your rite.

I will look into carzone a bit more but seeing they are part of the auto trader group is not going to be easy!

I will see if he is about the wibble web anywhere else.

Edit

Update***

he seams to be a bit of a dealer loads of dead links when I googled his mob number here is just a few of the active ones including one on RTE cars

http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_advert?country=IE&county_list=3_4_5_6_7_10_11_12_13_14_15_16_18_19_20_21_22_23_24_25_26_28_29_30_31_32_33&currency=EUR&make=&max_pr=7000&min_pr=2000&model=&sort=5&x=1&y=1&id=200831189528509

http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1065611

http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=949475

http://cars.rte.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=773000

http://www.loadzacars.ie/cars/used/search/details/2038059

the fact that he's not answering the phone is because he has something to hide

i would call around to his house (with 4 friends of course) and demand a refund or small claims court is the way it'll go

are you covered by HPIs guarantee?
    http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/viewTerms.do?page=guaranteeSummary.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Update.

The seller is now not answering my calls or text messages.
    I had two numbers for him and both ring out or he will not rely to.

He is selling the Audi under the same number so I tried private number thinking he would pick up, but no joy.

I think i should send him a message saying I am contacting the guards to scare him but im useless at that sort of thing.

Anyone word it for me?

Somebody mentioned contacting the Gardai and the Revenue Commissioners.

The Gardai do get busy and may tend to lose interest unless you decide to follow up with a written complaint about this dodgy car dealer. IMO, you should ring Customs & Excise section of the Revenue Commissioners, and explain the situation about this unauthorised dealer not registering cars that he brings into the country, or paying VRT for that matter. I think they'd be very interested in getting their teeth into this guy. That may not help you, but it just might shut this guy down.

I wouldn't bother trying to intimidate this guy with a text threatening the cops. He'll just get a new SIM card. Maybe he already did.

VH wrote: »
    the fact that he's not answering the phone is because he has something to hide

i would call around to his house (with 4 friends of course) and demand a refund or small claims court is the way it'll go

are you covered by HPIs guarantee?
    http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/viewTerms.do?page=guaranteeSummary.html

I emailed HPI and asked them they havent got back to me yet

on hold to the guards as we speak they are soo dum! ill fill you in later

Ok just off to the guard station litterly a stones throw away from where i bought it. They even knew the appartment block. The woman who siad "so why are you contacting kilmainham gard station?" asked her sargent and he said

"It is not a criminal matter so we cant do anything for you"
    When asked what would he do he replied
    " I would contact a solicitor as it is a civil matter maybe something like under the trades or discriptions act"
    When asked if it was illigal to sell clocked cars in the south he said
    "I'm sure it is but we have no proof he clocked it him self"

So as you can see I am at a dead end here really.
    Next corse of action I think is to contact every palce I have found the car I bought and tell them the story

Also if there are any guards out there or law people who know the irish law better than me can you agree or disagree with the guards?

Cheers

We will get them in the end!!!!

I wouldn't bother trying to intimidate this guy with a text threatening the cops. He'll just get a new SIM card. Maybe he already did.

I will start on this tomorrow as I am away home in my newly clocked car to eat a bucket of chicken and hope my gf can comfort me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I would try contact Revenue, sounds like this fellow is selling a fair amount of English reg cars

Customs Criminal Investigations & Coordination Branch
    01 8277500
    ceib@revenue.ie

or

VRT Prosecution Unit
    074 9368836
    vrodoneg@revenue.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Did ye read what he wrote about Audi, he said that the owner is emigrating, but in fact he is a doggy diler who makes profit on the base of the clocked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It seems pretty clear there is a EE guy in the pale that makes a living on going over to UK to buy cars and selling them on here. Trying to make a few extra bob by clocking and so driving up a bad price.

Definitely do what DonJose suggests. You have name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭johnml

Its up to the dealer to do a check on the car to ensure its not clocked, stolen or otherwise.
    I know he's claiming to be private but its fairly obvious he's a small time dealer.
    Its his problem if he ''didn't know it was clocked''. It's up to him to find out before re-selling. Chances are he might not have got it at auction.
    If you can prove he's a dealer, take nothing less than a full refund. Go to the Garda fraud squad.
    Best of luck and don't take any **** from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Msg removed.

(Was gonna help but if you drove 100 miles to buy a car with no history from a EE bloke , well you know...)

Churchy wrote: »
    Msg removed.

(Was gonna help but if you drove 100 miles to buy a car with no history from a EE bloke , well you know...)

lol ouch! but true enough

I will do all that is mentioned in previous posts tomorrow when I get into work. and really it was more like 400 miles round trip :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just make sure that you take into account the 136000 miles and adjust your ideas about servicing etc. Not sure of the VW service schedule myself but there may be things needing done at that sort of mileage that you wouldnt even think about at 60000. I know its little consolation but if you look after it there is no reason why it won't do another 100,000 miles with little trouble. Most likely UK motorway miles anyway!

And by the way, although it does sound a stupid thing ot do, I wouldn't say you were amazingly stupid, only a small but! Car looked good, you bought a mechanic with you... I've seen it a few times when a car looks and feels so good your rational thinking goes out the window. It'll be a lesson to you in future. Keep onto this anyway. Even if you got a miracle and got a grand or 2 back i'd say you'd be happy out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ResDub

I

"It is not a criminal matter so we cant do anything for you"
    When asked what would he do he replied
    " I would contact a solicitor as it is a civil matter maybe something like under the trades or discriptions act"
    When asked if it was illigal to sell clocked cars in the south he said
    "I'm sure it is but we have no proof he clocked it him self"

Also if there are any guards out there or law people who know the irish law better than me can you agree or disagree with the guards?

Cheers

We will get them in the end!!!!

It is a criminal offence of deception, people have been done before for it. If the previous reg owner and auction place can tell you the correct mileage it was sold at and yer man says he got it directly from the auctions then its on him for to explain to the police why there is a discrepancy. Go to the station where the sale took place (I take it this was Kilmainham) and tell them you want to make a statement ask for a detective better chance than someone at the counter, tell them that you've got legal advice. Follow it up or this guy will just con someone else out of a few bob again.

The National Consumer Agency will give you the same advice they generally deal with garages. It is a civil matter as well as criminal if it can be proved he knowingly conned you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

My car has no service history and its ok its just I dont have a steady garage or get it stamped. It does have stickers on it saying dates of parts changed eg timing belt UV glow added etc so it looked pretty clean. Plus I took a VW mechanic with me who wired it up to the laptop and said it was all tip top. So I had as much covered as i possibly could

If you plug in a Diagnostic computer i.e VAG-COM into the car you can get a mileage read out from the ECU which is independant from the odometer. See the following link:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/applications_screen.html#mileage

Also i just noticed on the pics from the advert you posted on the car. If you look closely at the pic showing the sat nav. Under the steering column on the right you can make out the tip of owners folder. :eek: Did you receive this when you bought the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭harlem

My understanding is that a car brought into the country must be registered within 3 working days of being brought into the country, so can the cops not get him for that?
    If not the cops then definitely the revenue?

I'm sorry to hear you got stung like that & I really hope you get some come back on it :(

Churchy wrote: »
    Msg removed.

you could have deleted it altogether - telling the op he did wrong aint helping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

lol ouch! but true enough

I will do all that is mentioned in previous posts tomorrow when I get into work. and really it was more like 400 miles round trip :o

Have you brought this car to an AA test center? Not putting the skids on you but how do you know that car was not cut and shut or involved in an accident? There's a small number of EE's operating freely between here and the UK clocking beautiful looking second hand German cars such as yours but fiddling with the chassis numbers and vin numbers so that it clears the normal checks. The UK is flooded with gangs doing such dirty things but the cops over there are getting the resources to fight back unlike here. Our lads are helpless unless they get the resources.

Have that car checked by the AA physically. Its around €300-€500. It may be worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

his mob number
    It rings out, but he doesn't answer it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I don't know guys, but reading these threads makes me wonder.

It really is a case of crying over spilt milk. Ya its a fcuker if you buy private and you later find out it has been clocked.

I know of a van that I worked on many times. I rememeber it and its mileage well (280k+) as it was so high but very little went wrong with it. After 3 or so years the guy trades it in. It is sold to a rentals company. After that i left the garage and didnt see the van for a long time but was told it was busy and on the road.

I have recently seen the van after it had been converted to a bus at what i'm sure was an expansive conversion and has lost at a very minimum 150k off the clock.

As for service history, drop a dodgy employee a few bob and he will stamp up the book for ya.

Im would like to think the OP had learned a lesson.
    I would also like to know why he bought a Passat down the south when they would def be cheaper up north over a ferry ride away in Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

DonJose wrote: »
    I would try contact Revenue, sounds like this fellow is selling a fair amount of English reg cars

Customs Criminal Investigations & Coordination Branch
    01 8277500
    ceib@revenue.ie

or

VRT Prosecution Unit
    074 9368836
    vrodoneg@revenue.ie

Maybe regular posters on motors could form an action group to gather evidence to pass on to the above authorities by email or something about dodgy dealers.
    There must be thousands of cars for sale ads browsed by posters here every day, i can't think of any group of people better placed to spot a dodgy dealer than car enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

harlem wrote: »
    My understanding is that a car brought into the country must be registered within 3 working days of being brought into the country, so can the cops not get him for that?
    If not the cops then definitely the revenue?(

If he is a registered trader e can keep it unregistered until completion of sale. A private individual has to do it the next working day after import.
    harlem wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear you got stung like that & I really hope you get some come back on it :(

Me too. I heard a story from a guy I know quite well that used to sell a few cars a few years ago. He mentioned that a €50 to the mechanic in the main dealer would ensure a clean bill of health. There's so many ways to get caught these days.

• Advertisement

slideways wrote: »
    As for service history, drop a dodgy employee a few bob and he will stamp up the book for ya.
    This is why it's important to call the garage to verify the SH. I did this with a Forester recently, 32k miles on the clock, last serviced at 30k. Turned out the owner had instructed the garage to omit the transmission & diff oil changes due at the 30k service, and just to change engine oil & filter in order to be able to get the stamp.

Advertisement