Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked Car Passat TDI 2005

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jony1983ie

ResDub wrote: »
    It is a criminal offence of deception, people have been done before for it. If the previous reg owner and auction place can tell you the correct mileage it was sold at and yer man says he got it directly from the auctions then its on him for to explain to the police why there is a discrepancy. Go to the station where the sale took place (I take it this was Kilmainham) and tell them you want to make a statement ask for a detective better chance than someone at the counter, tell them that you've got legal advice. Follow it up or this guy will just con someone else out of a few bob again.

The National Consumer Agency will give you the same advice they generally deal with garages. It is a civil matter as well as criminal if it can be proved he knowingly conned you.

wooo thanks for the info! but i live in belfast so getting down will be very hard! can you do statements by phone or woudl i have to sign it? I will try the nca today as well and let you when I have info

Also i just noticed on the pics from the advert you posted on the car. If you look closely at the pic showing the sat nav. Under the steering column on the right you can make out the tip of owners folder. :eek: Did you receive this when you bought the car?

oh yeh I got that and a manual for the satnav.

DonJose wrote: »
    I would try contact Revenue, sounds like this fellow is selling a fair amount of English reg cars

Customs Criminal Investigations & Coordination Branch
    01 8277500
    ceib@revenue.ie

or

VRT Prosecution Unit
    074 9368836
    vrodoneg@revenue.ie

I have contacted both parties awating reply cheers for the tip

harlem wrote: »
    My understanding is that a car brought into the country must be registered within 3 working days of being brought into the country, so can the cops not get him for that?
    If not the cops then definitely the revenue?

I'm sorry to hear you got stung like that & I really hope you get some come back on it :(

cheers for the post.... I dont mind getting stung anymore over a few beers and a chat with friends there wasent much more I could have done. plus it at least one person dosent make the same mistake then im happy!

VH wrote: »
    you could have deleted it altogether - telling the op he did wrong aint helping

lol yeh but i did chukkle:o

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    Have that car checked by the AA physically. Its around €300-€500. It may be worth your while.

I am looking into it as we speak! will post findings soon

slideways wrote: »

Im would like to think the OP had learned a lesson.
    I would also like to know why he bought a Passat down the south when they would def be cheaper up north over a ferry ride away in Scotland?

I was looking for this exact model.. and its rare! I have tried england there was on in barnet but because I had to book ferries and the like by the time i was on my way it was sold.

OP has indeed leart his leasson! now to round up the 'boys' :) (joke)

the_syco wrote: »
    It rings out, but he doesn't answer it :(

yeh he wont answer or reply to texts. Do you think any of the sites he has posted on will give me his reg information as he was a crook dealer?

macshadow wrote: »
    Maybe regular posters on motors could form an action group to gather evidence to pass on to the above authorities by email or something about dodgy dealers.
    There must be thousands of cars for sale ads browsed by posters here every day, i can't think of any group of people better placed to spot a dodgy dealer than car enthusiasts.

yeh but id say the sites are making so much money on the clocked ones they turn a blind eye

Me too. I heard a story from a guy I know quite well that used to sell a few cars a few years ago. He mentioned that a €50 to the mechanic in the main dealer would ensure a clean bill of health. There's so many ways to get caught these days.

yeh but at least they got done by a SH!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A stamped service book must be backed up by receipts for regular servicing, which will include the mileage. A quick call to the garage to verify such an invoice and cross check the mileage takes a couple of minutes.

A stamped up service book does not mean "full service history".

reply from carzone

Hi,

Unfortuantely we cannot just give out information like that. In a situation like this the best advice I could give is that you get in contact with Consumers Affairs. If you get in contact with them and let them know what’s happened they will be able to help you. We would also be able to help them and give them any information they may need regarding the seller.

Regards,

David Goonan
    Webzone Ltd.
    Internet Administrator

EDIT**
    So i have contacted them and told them about the white knight David Goonan. Hopefully they will get back to me.

Mean while I have got a VW garage to look at it. I am dropping it round now so I can see if its a cut and shunt.

HPI Update

HPI got back about their guarantee and seam to agree with the guards

Dear Mr jony1983ie

Thank you for your email. We are of course, sorry to hear of your situation however, unfortunately the mileage check included as part of your HPI Check is not covered by the HPI Guarantee. We would like to bring your attention to the following relevant section of the terms and conditions:

Exclusions of HPI Guarantee
    12.1 Information we provide on a vehicle's description, value, mileage and accompanying documentation (its V5/Logbook) is not covered by the HPI Guarantee.

We would strongly advice you to seek advice from your local branch of the Trading Standards if bought from a dealer. We would be happy to cooperate with any investigation the Trading Standards carry out. If you have bought the car privately we suggest that you contact your local CAB or seek advice from a solicitor. Please note in all cases the police will not be able to help as clocking is a civil offence.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

Kind regards

Jan Moger
    Customer Support

NCA got back to me asking for the reg of the car... the wheels are in motion!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Good luck with, hope you get your money back or some sort of compensation from the seller.

As a joke: you could get a really really big clock, put it on the end of a crane, hang it over the sellers own car, let it go and hopefully the big clock will have smashed his car and will be left just sitting on top of the car.

You could leave a note on the windscreen if still there "you've been clocked!!". Off course I not encourage voilence or any acts causing property damage but its a cartoon moment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Look dude you got done,

your not going to get anything back and this guy will probably just go home or move house if pressure is put on him, its a nice car and your happy so just cut you losses and move on

Notch000 wrote: »
    Look dude you got done,

your not going to get anything back and this guy will probably just go home or move house if pressure is put on him, its a nice car and your happy so just cut you losses and move on

Oh yeh I'm happy but at least if I do pressure him or make him move or even better go home then I will have won a small battle but not the war. It will make me know that at least I might stop someone else getting done.

Im sorry but maybe im wrong and I should drop it, or maybe I should keep going ...... I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So UK MOTs do not update the mileage database then? Does anyone know what exactly updates the database that the HPI uses? A quick google wasn't conclusive.

Actually I'll start a new thread on this...

No in the UK you must enter the milage... but in the north it askes you for the milage and says beside it.. this is not a mandatory field

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

jony1983ie wrote: »
    Im sorry but maybe im wrong and I should drop it, or maybe I should keep going ...... I dunno
    You are definitely right to keep going, as you said its only a battle in the war but every battle counts. These scum have gotta learn that they can't get away with this.
    Best of luck with it. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement