Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone likes these?

• 11-08-2008 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I saw nothing about these bands:

Soft Machine
    Gong
    Hatfield & the North
    Can
    The Residents
    Kevin Ayers
    Traffic
    13th Floor Elevators
    The Nice

And all other Krautrock/psychadelic/progressive band you can think of :P

You guys don't like 'm or just never heard of them before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Let's have a little tackle of this list:
    Soft Machine: Been meaning to check them out in more detail, like Robert Wyatt but for some reason own no Soft Machine
    Gong: Love them. Was listening to Angel's Egg last night.
    Hatfield & the North: Don't know them.
    Can: LOVE THEM MORE! One of the most awesome bands ever. A real inspiration as to how powerful rock music can be.
    The Residents: Love and hate. I have nearly 40 of their releases, some of them are amazing (3rd R'n'R, Meet the Residents, etc.) and others are complete gash.
    Kevin Ayers: Again, been meaning to check out.
    Traffic: Don't know them.
    13th Floor Elevators: Don't know them.
    The Nice: Don't know them.

And all other Krautrock/psychadelic/progressive band you can think of :P

You guys don't like 'm or just never heard of them before?[/QUOTE]

If there's any band/genre you think deserves to be discussed here, go for it. The more the merrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ensenata

If there's someone whom I think needs to be talked about:

Kevin Ayers!

To quote John Peel (you know him): "Kevin Ayers' talent is so accute, you could perform mayor eye surgery with it".

If you like laid back psychadelic folk/rock, like Syd Barrett's solo albums (Madcap Laughs, Barrett) but better, more refined and the songs are all so different from eachother..

Here is my favorite song of Kevin:
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=RKZHIT_W9F4
    (It's with Steve Hillage on guitar!)

I got some 13th Floor for you too:
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=nwSA0Tckwbk

Soft Machine:
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=KixEbE7fb50

Hatfield & the North:
    http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=8QAG8rkOYu8

And I forgot to mention:

Caravan
    Aphrodite's Child
    Captain Beefheart (ofc)
    Hawkwind
    Focus (Band from my country :))
    Everybody in RIO (Rock in Opposition)

and there's lots and lots more.. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Gotta love Can - Tago Mago is a great album.
    Soft Machine have been recommended to me recently on jazz/blues so have yet to take the plunge.
    The Residents are a band I've been meaning to explore.

Most of the others I'm unfamiliar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Daddio wrote: »
    Gotta love Can - Tago Mago is a great album.
    Soft Machine have been recommended to me recently on jazz/blues so have yet to take the plunge.
    The Residents are a band I've been meaning to explore.

Most of the others I'm unfamiliar with.

Soft machine were one of the greatest bands. I would recommend the 'Third' album as a starting place.

Check out the old German band, 'Embryo' for some classic Krautrock too.

anti-venom wrote: »
    Soft machine were one of the greatest bands. I would recommend the 'Third' album as a starting place.

Check out the old German band, 'Embryo' for some classic Krautrock too.

If he likes Tago Mago I'd recommend First and Second though. :p

And I'll give Embryo a listen :)

• Advertisement

Ensenata wrote: »
    If he likes Tago Mago I'd recommend First and Second though. :p

And I'll give Embryo a listen :)

Good, let us know what you think of Embryo. I'd recommend the Steig Aus album with the excellent Radio Marrakesch track. I love Focus too......classic stuff.

Good, let us know what you think of Embryo. I'd recommend the Steig Aus album with the excellent Radio Marrakesch track. I love Focus too......classic stuff.

I've listend Try To Do from Embryo, sounds nice. :)

Funny you say Focus, I was talking to some "cat lady" in the neighberbood and she was befriend with Jan Akkerman (Focus' guitarist) and he and the band jammed at her place a couple of times, she met Clapton too, Thijs van Leer.. that was a very nice talk :D

I've listend Try To Do from Embryo, sounds nice. :)

Funny you say Focus, I was talking to some "cat lady" in the neighberbood and she was befriend with Jan Akkerman (Focus' guitarist) and he and the band jammed at her place a couple of times, she met Clapton too, Thijs van Leer.. that was a very nice talk :D

Lol....Maybe we know the same 'cat lady'. I met a lady recently who jammed with Jan Akkerman in an all night session at a Dutch festival years ago. Nobody could keep up with him she said - a seriously talented musician is Mr. Akkerman, and the rest of the band too for that matter.

You're Dutch, right? Do you know anything about a Dutch band called Gore (or maybe Goer?). John Peel used to play their stuff back in the mid to late eighties. They sounded brilliant but I could never find any of their records, especially since I live in the artless backwaters of Rural Ireland. I think they sounded something like Bogshed or some rough, angular indie rock. I've been searching for anything by them but no luck so far. I'd really love to hear them again.

Glad you liked Embryo, btw. They're one of the best Krautrock bands and there was a LOT of great music coming from Germany during the sixties and seventies. I play Embryo to some of my friends and they just don't get it. Hate it, in fact. Anyway, it's their loss.

Lol....Maybe we know the same 'cat lady'. I met a lady recently who jammed with Jan Akkerman in an all night session at a Dutch festival years ago. Nobody could keep up with him she said - a seriously talented musician is Mr. Akkerman, and the rest of the band too for that matter.

You're Dutch, right? Do you know anything about a Dutch band called Gore (or maybe Goer?). John Peel used to play their stuff back in the mid to late eighties. They sounded brilliant but I could never find any of their records, especially since I live in the artless backwaters of Rural Ireland. I think they sounded something like Bogshed or some rough, angular indie rock. I've been searching for anything by them but no luck so far. I'd really love to hear them again.

Glad you liked Embryo, btw. They're one of the best Krautrock bands and there was a LOT of great music coming from Germany during the sixties and seventies. I play Embryo to some of my friends and they just don't get it. Hate it, in fact. Anyway, it's their loss.

Haha my friends don't get my music either :P

And I'm Dutch yes, but I haven't heard of Gore, but there are some Record shops here in Amsterdam where they have LOTS of this kind of music, the owner made me listen to some very weird Dutch band whose LP cost €500 (every record was destroyd by the fans back in the time:P), but it was like coming close to Tago Mago sound.

But I´ll ask around if anyone knows Gore/Goer. :)

EDIT: You mean "NV Groep 65"?
    They might appear on compilation albums: "Exploiting Plastic Inevitable Lesson 2, Waterpipes & Dykes Vol.1 & Pebbles CD Vol.12." Those are maybe sold somewhere.
    Though I´m not 100% sure of that :P

I'm going to buy or download those too so I could post them on Youtube by then.

Haha my friends don't get my music either :P

And I'm Dutch yes, but I haven't heard of Gore, but there are some Record shops here in Amsterdam where they have LOTS of this kind of music, the owner made me listen to some very weird Dutch band whose LP cost €500 (every record was destroyd by the fans back in the time:P), but it was like coming close to Tago Mago sound.

But I´ll ask around if anyone knows Gore/Goer. :)

EDIT: You mean "NV Groep 65"?
    They might appear on compilation albums: "Exploiting Plastic Inevitable Lesson 2, Waterpipes & Dykes Vol.1 & Pebbles CD Vol.12." Those are maybe sold somewhere.
    Though I´m not 100% sure of that :P

I'm going to buy or download those too so I could post them on Youtube by then.

Great, thanks a lot for looking. No, I'm about 100% certain the band were simply called Gore/Goer, not NV Groep 65. I'll ckeck out those other titles you mentioned above, though, to see what they're about. 'Pebbles' I know well and what an excellent collection most of them are.

Thanks again.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement