Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place for Wii

• 11-08-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on the cheapest place to buy a Wii - either online or in a shop.

I'm looking for the full package i.e. console, fit board, play etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Hi Podge3,

www.ibood.com had a wii offer last weekend. But when you add the price of postage etc it didnt work out too much of a savings.
    However from have a quick look around I noticed pixmania have the same price http://www.pixmania.com/video-game-nintendo-wii-games-consol/ieuk551646_jvart.html that ibood was offering. ibood can be a gem at times for prices, and then sometimes they can be crap.

NOTE about pixmania, they can have really good prices at times compared to high street shops and when you buy stuff from them and they arrive ok, then things are good. Howvere I have heard bad reviews of their customer care if you have to return any item, so beware of that if you decide to buy your console online.

One thing i would recommend is that you check out DealExtreme.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.wii
    They have lots of Wii extra stuff are really good prices. I think there are cheap chinese stuff. But the prices are really good compared to Wii approved mechandise.

The basic Wii Console normally comes with Wii Sports and 1 controller and numbchuck. You will end up getting an extra controller and numbchuck. Kind of stupid they dont include the extra set, but that is how they get the money off you. Some pain you buy the basic console with wii sports, which is a mulit player game at a low price, then you end up paying another 80-90 euro buying extra controller parts.

One thing I do recommend you do when you get the extra controller, make sure you buy the Wii Remote that has Wii Play with it. See link here.
    http://www.pixmania.com/video-game-wii-play-wiimote/ieuk716576_jvart.html
    I made the biggest mistake and bought the extra remote in HMV only to find out afterwards I should have got the other one. Wii Play has cool fun little games. The stupid sales guy in the shop hadnt a clue and told me they dont sell the wii play anymore. Next day I saw it in GameStop.

Someone on another boards.ie forum thread mentioned Zavvi (which used to be Virgin Megastores) currently have a good Wii offer on at the moment.

To be honest, Wii and the extras work out the same price no matter where you seem to fish around for prices. If I was in your shoes I would go into the nearest city to where you live and try get a Wii console in Zavvi, XtraVision, GameStop, Smyths, HMV or whatever. All stores seems to have the same stuff at roughly the same price. Even if there is 2 euro in a difference between one store and another, by the time you go to all stores you would have used up the petrol. There is no price war when it comes to Wii from what I can see, they all seem to match each other prices and offer the same bundles. Prices have come down a bit since I bought mine back in March. Plus if something is not working you can get it replaced really handy enough. An dlastly you are supporting local jobs in your region. Buying online can be good and save you lots of money somethings. But I think in the case of Wii I doubt you will save much when you add postage and the extras. Correct me if I am wrong? Show me a link where the Wii would be worth buying cheaper on line and save you loads.

I do know of guys here in work who have bought iPhones in the US and saved loads of money. If it was an iPhone you were looking for I would reocmmend you get a friend to bring you back one from the US. But we are not talking about iPhones, so enough about that.

Wii Sports, Mario Kart (http://www.pixmania.com/video-game-mario-kart-wii-wheel/ieuk1055348_jvart.html) and Wii Fit are great family and party games if you have friends over. I would recommend you get these. A play a few other Wii games and I wasnt too impressed. I suppose it depends why you want the wii. I got it as a thing to play with when friends call over, so I got a lot of interactive fun games for it.

If you go to GameStop you will see a lot of 2nd hand games on shelfs. This is a good indication I use to determine if a game is good or not. If there is lots of a particluar game on display on this shelf then I would stay away from buying it. Its either crap or easy to win and the owner got bored with it really fast. You wont see much or any Mario Karts in the 2nd hand shelf!!!!!! Enough said :-)

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

How can you expect to save money on "spending a penny"?

*Sorry, I'll get my coat* :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

Thanks to baronflyguy for an excellent informative post.

I just bought a Wii kit on the bay of E. Price was £310 plus I organised my own courier @ £25, so a total of £335/€425 approx. For that I got:

1. Nintendo Wii console includes 5 Wii Sports games
    2. Wii Fit Balance board includes 40 games
    3. Wii play includes 9 games
    4. 2 nunchuks and 2 remote controllers

Apparently there is a 2 year warranty on Nintendo stuff, but hopefully I won't need it :).

In addition to Dealextreme, ledshoppe also do Wii stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

podge3 wrote: »
    Thanks to baronflyguy for an excellent informative post.

I just bought a Wii kit on the bay of E. Price was £310 plus I organised my own courier @ £25, so a total of £335/€425 approx. For that I got:

1. Nintendo Wii console includes 5 Wii Sports games
    2. Wii Fit Balance board includes 40 games
    3. Wii play includes 9 games
    4. 2 nunchuks and 2 remote controllers

Apparently there is a 2 year warranty on Nintendo stuff, but hopefully I won't need it :).
    Looks good. The Wii Fit alone costs about 70-80 Euro (approx)
    Wii Console with Wii Sports, Extra Controller, Extra Numhchuck probably would work out at 450 (approx)
    So you probably saved yourself 100 euro.
    Enjoy. :)
    podge3 wrote: »
    In addition to Dealextreme, ledshoppe also do Wii stuff.
    Very good, I have never been to http://www.ledshoppe.com/, will bookmark it for future reference.

Advertisement