Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer for cruiser

• 11-08-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

'Allo,
    I just bought a freeman 24 cruiser in bad shape with an aim to take it off the water (Shannon) and work on it at home. Anyone know where I could pick up a 2nd trailer to transport such a boat on the road?
    thx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

cra_zman,
    That will be hard to find second hand (and expensive new).
    Suggest you get some quotes to have it delivered form Shannon to your house and store it on good supports while you're working on it. Then when she's ready to sail again have the delivery company collect again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cra_zman

Cheers for the reply scaldy, indeed some quotes are almost as much as I paid for the boat... Maybe I'll make one :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Put up a wanted ad on apolloduck.ie

But TBH, anything roadworthy and strong enough will cost the same as transporting it on the back of a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

You could keep an eye on ebay.co.uk as there's large trailers on there regularly in your size range. However, you have to factor in the cost of the ferry and drive to collect, and then if any work is required to make sure the trailer gets back to your house! e.g. bearings, tyres, any welding....

Otherwise, if you're in a hurry, just get someone else to do it for €€€. It might be pricey, but at least then you have the boat at the house being worked on, and you have all that time (until it's ready to back in the water) to find a second hand trailer for the next trip(s).

In fact - I just realised that there's someone in Anglesey regularly selling American trailers for large boats (in the 20ft+ sizes) for around £750 on eBay. Although they're not road legal (8ft+ wide) - if you got it for that price, it could be worth the gamble for 2 boat moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irishrover2007

I have an old boat trailer, she is quite rusted on the main part and would not hold a freeman but she has winch,wheels bits and pieces if you want it. Give me your number and Iwill try to txt a picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

scaldybelt wrote: »
    In fact - I just realised that there's someone in Anglesey regularly selling American trailers for large boats (in the 20ft+ sizes) for around £750 on eBay. Although they're not road legal (8ft+ wide) - if you got it for that price, it could be worth the gamble for 2 boat moves.

8ft wide may not be legal in the UK, but I believe that it is legal in Ireland.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I trail our 19ft shetland 570 to water on a single axle trailer.
    If you are intending to tow alot (24 ft isnt too big) then go for a twin or triple axle. The extra security you get from the extra axle overides the cost.
    If you do go new, let us know

Advertisement