Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Borris?

Options
  • 11-08-2008 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

What is the best way by public transport to get to Borris from Dublin?

How frequent are busses or trains etc? (or will I have to get a taxi from some local town?)

Is Borris near Carlow town itself?

How big is the place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

When are you gonna travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

YOKO120 wrote: »

How big is the place?

take five big steps and you've passed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Borris is about a 40 minute drive from Carlow. My guess is that a train to bagnelstown and a taxi to boris would be the best option but I'll do a bit of googling and see what I can find

Best I can do. Can't seem to find a direct bus

By Train:
    A direct service is available to and from Dublin from both Kilkenny Train Station and Bagnelstown / Muine Bheag Train Station. Both trains take approximately one hour and forty minutes. Kilkenny Train Station is a twenty minute drive from Borris House while Bagnelstown in only a ten minute drive away. Trains are also available from Waterford to Kilkenny and from Cork to Kilkenny via Kildare or Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Go with Shay's advice it's spot on. If you're lucky enough you may even get on one of the new comfortable trains on the dublin/waterford line via bagenalstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi,

What is the best way by public transport to get to Borris from Dublin?

How frequent are busses or trains etc? (or will I have to get a taxi from some local town?)

Is Borris near Carlow town itself?

How big is the place?

When are you going down I might be able to give u a lift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 YOKO120

Thanks for all the help....how can anywhere exist without a public transport link!!!!:eek: sorry I know that is a real Dublin thing to say..but what if your poor or cant drive etc do you sit and stay in the town?

anyways thanks very much for travel advice.

1) Would it be easy to get a taxi from Bangelstown to Borris? Is there taxi places in Banglestown? Ball park costs? Is it really only 10 mins drive from Borris?

2) Would I be better getting taxi from Kilkenny? Ball park cost?

Thanks for all the help....how can anywhere exist without a public transport link!!!!:eek: sorry I know that is a real Dublin thing to say..but what if your poor or cant drive etc do you sit and stay in the town?

anyways thanks very much for travel advice.

1) Would it be easy to get a taxi from Bangelstown to Borris? Is there taxi places in Banglestown? Ball park costs? Is it really only 10 mins drive from Borris?

2) Would I be better getting taxi from Kilkenny? Ball park cost?

Public transport rock's even if the standard of it in this country is dis-heartening.

1) It would be easier to get a taxi from Bagenalstown to Borris. It really is only a ten minute drive at most. Now there are taxi's in bagenalstown but i don't have the contact details of any of them maybe someone here would. Sure it can't cost too much for a taxi trip lasting only 10 minutes. I've never used a taxi on that particular journey but surely it couldn't be anymore than 20 euro and that would be guessing the extreme cost.

2) Bagenalstown is closer and is a better option if you can obtain contact details of a taxi/hackney in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

Borris is a small one street town about 8 miles south of Bagenalstown. Train to Bagenalstown and a taxi is your best bet. JJ Kavanagh run a regular bus from Carlow to Bagenalstown and this may even go via Borris but I am not sure www.jjkavanagh.ie.

Try the phone number on www.borris.ie . I am sure they would have local taxi numbers available - there are only 2 or 3 local taxi drivers. Or the local hotel http://www.stephousehotel.ie/ in Borris may also be able to help.

Another option if you do not have easy access to Heuston train station is to get the JJ Kavanagk bus from city centre (or Airport) to the Royal Oak and get a taxi from there. You will still need a local taxi number and it will add about 3 miles on to the taxi journey.

BTW hope you are not planning to be in Borris around August the 15th. When the borris fair is on all the pubs shops etc will be closed.

• Advertisement

Carpenter wrote: »
    When are you going down I might be able to give u a lift

+1

Yeah its that Friday I have to go down- I heard the fair is on in the town but is it actually that bad? As in the complaints on the other thread seem to be about the rubbish left on the street after its over, but is it bad during the day?

I also thought maybe it would be taking place on the fringes of the town?

will that make it more difficult to get a taxi into Borris that day?

thanks for all the help from the Carlow experts here:D

For the Borris fair Travellers come from all over the country and line both side of the main street through the town. All of the pubs and shops close to avoid problems with fights, theft etc.

I don't think it will make it any harder to get a taxi.

See the thread in the carlow forum about the borris fair and guage how bad it is based on our posts.
    It's located here

It might not make it any harder to find a taxi but you may be let out at the top of the town, you may be not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

just another option for you would be to get train to kilkenny and then get the graiguenamanagh bus which goes via borris, its leaves kilkenny at 12pm and 6pm in the evening picks up on the parade at the castle, runs every day except sundays,

Ok if you are getting a taxi you will be left off at the top of borris because according to this evenings news on kclr radio the gardai will be stopping all incoming traffic to prevent congestion in what will be an alreadt packed village.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭cw girl

There used to be a bus from Dub to Borris on Friday evenings. This left from Tara Street - not sure if it still runs but if you need to check ring Bernard Kavanagh Coaches. Otherwise if you don't want to get a taxi I'd say that the best option would be to travel to KK and get the Graiguenamanagh bus as far as Borris

Going to Kilkenny and getting a bus back would probably add up to an hour on to your journey. The train station in Kilkenny and the castle are quite a distance apart - does the bus make a stop at the train station. If you miss the bus you would be rightly stuck. A taxi from Kilkenny to Borris would be the bones of €50.

OK -THIS is prob mad but how long would it take to walk/run from Bagenalstown (Mhine Beag is same thing right?) to Borris? would it be possible in worst case senario? :eek:

its about 7 miles so.... an hour and a half?

Logic: average walking speed is 5 or 6 miles and hour but presumably YOKO will probably have a bag to weigh/slow them down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

ShayK1 wrote: »
    its about 7 miles so.... an hour and a half?

Your having a laugh Shay, Yoko is an animal, in fact im so sure it can be done in an hour Im willing to have a little prop bet with ya, say €1?
    Ill pick you up, then we'l drive to bagenalstown, meet Yoko, then drive beside him as he walks to Borris, I have a stopwatch so dont worry. Also if it rains we can just put up the windows ok, bring a few cd's too will ya?! Anyone else want in on the action?:D

Yoko, you can do it!!

But seriously bud, get a taxi:rolleyes:

This is the number of a taxi service in Goresbridge (between bagenalstown & Borris). Sarah at 086 0725184. Give them a call to get a price.

eddiehead wrote: »
    Your having a laugh Shay, Yoko is an animal, in fact im so sure it can be done in an hour Im willing to have a little prop bet with ya, say €1?
    Ill pick you up, then we'l drive to bagenalstown, meet Yoko, then drive beside him as he walks to Borris, I have a stopwatch so dont worry. Also if it rains we can just put up the windows ok, bring a few cd's too will ya?! Anyone else want in on the action?:D

Yoko, you can do it!!

But seriously bud, get a taxi:rolleyes:

You sir, are a funny man!!

YOUR ALL VERY GOOD THANKS:D

Carlow must be a very welcoming place altogether-

taxi it is so.

(thanks for taxi number...just in case anyone else have numbers of hackneys in muine bheag itself?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Daltoid

Well maybe I'd get a lift. Ya see my great grandparents lived over the second bridge and There'sa big orchard round the back of the small cottage bungalow. Home brew kit perhaps.
    Equidistant lodgings between both towns. Jewellery is a memory.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Please don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement