Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGDE/teaching job advice

• 11-08-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm currently a University Lecturer in English in the UK but my partner has recently moved to Galway for work reasons. We have a baby daughter and obviously want to live together.

There are very few University lecturer jobs in Ireland (very few in Uk too) so I am considering doing a PGDE in Ireland and becoming a secondary school teacher here in Ireland.

From what I can see, many teaching jobs advertised request applicants to have two degree level subjects. I did single honours English (although 20% of my degree was in Philosophy). I also have an MPhil in English Lit and a PhD in English. In my four years of teaching English at degree level I have also taught drama and media units. However, I'm not sure if this will count for much since job advertisements seem to want two subjects at degree level.

An additional issue is my age. I am 37. Is age an issue?

I obviously don't want to do the PGDE if I'm then not able to get a job, so any advice is appreciated.

Advertisement