Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Price Increase in September

Options
  • 11-08-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So I was speaking to two BMW dealers in Dublin with regards to a 320 Coupe, and both informed me there was a price increase coming into affect from September.

First guy told me it would be around 1,200euro on the coupe, second guy told me around 1% from the end of the 1st week in September.

First guy also said if I ordered now I would pay the new price, as factory is closed in August so would be a September order with October delivery most likely.

Second guy said I would have to pay it cos it would be in affect by time of registration.

Is this usually the case with regard to price increases ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

I can't wait for the day BMW decide to drop prices...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

they did a month ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

kbannon wrote: »
    they did a month ago!
    BMW did? Or the government did?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

aah - apologies - you are correct!
    However, with production costs going upwards (for all manufacturers) don't expect to see any savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Once ya go above 318 now its not really worth ur while, apart from the image in projects onto you, buying it. Get cars that are probably far better performers for similar prices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Buy a diesel one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

BMW have always increased prices on Sept 1st - same with lots of manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

My question was:

If I order one now in August, should I have to pay the September increase just because the car won't be delivered until late September/early Oct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

eddiem74 wrote: »
    My question was:

If I order one now in August, should I have to pay the September increase just because the car won't be delivered until late September/early Oct ?

That's up to the dealer/distributor.
    Some will make prices dependant on the order date, some on the delivery date.

Looks like in your case it's the delivery date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

My experience has always been that the prevailing price at time of delivery is the price that the dealer should/will charge. If a dealer stands over the pricing they've given you, then they're paying for the difference themselves out of the discount/profit.

Negotiate the price with the dealer - ask if they'll stnad over the pricing in writing on the order form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Don't forget that the facelifted 3 series is coming in September(the same month the prices are going up), and that explains a large portion of the price increase. In VRT free countries the facelifted model is €700-€900 more than the current model.

Btw the entire BMW range will probably be getting a price increase in September. The 520d has gone up by €500 in Germany, so it'll probably be selling for around €47k for anyone who wants one next year.

The facelifted 330d should be cheaper than the model it replaces as it drops a VRT band.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

I was doing the speed limit on the M50 southbound a few nights ago and a brand new 1 series coupe flew by me like I was standing still. It looked supremely planted - and that's quite an admission from me as I don't like BMWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Probably a 135i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but the BMW Car Configurator has been updated to show the price increases(520d now starts at €47,200, this gives the facelifted A6 a €5,100 advantage as it will start at €42,100(though with only 136 rather than 177 bhp)), the facelifted 3 series, with no 316i thanks be to God, and the rebranding of the X3 and X5 to copy the X6 and these cars are now sold as 'xDrivexxx', so for example the X3 xDrive20d replaces the X3 2.0d.

Prices seem to have gone up by about a grand to €1500 across the range.

The facelifted 3 series starts at €38,385 for the 318i, with the 318d going for just €1,000 more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

E92 wrote: »

Prices seem to have gone up by about a grand to €1500 across the range.

Damn sight more than 1%! Not sure how good an idea this is in the current market.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

E92 wrote: »
    ...these cars are now sold as 'xDrivexxx', so for example the X3 xDrive20d replaces the X3 2.0d.
    Presumably someone got paid to think up that stupid naming convention? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

AudiChris wrote: »
    My experience has always been that the prevailing price at time of delivery is the price that the dealer should/will charge. .

...that may well be, but it's nonsense. You wouldn't get away with that in any other sphere of business.

Consider my work: houses. Do you honestly expect anyone to buy one, given the price you're 'quoting' now........isn't actually the price at all ?

It's wide open to abuse - what's to stop dealer's having a 'monthly' increase, every month?

No, it should be really simple - you contract on the price now, and that's it. Don't want my €€ - fine, I'll pop down and collect the A6 then.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Rumour has it that the Dept of finance has noticed that the new VRT system has not infact turned out to be tax neutral. Reason being because so many people have bought Bm's and the like which came down in price because of their low Co2. It seems they didnt figure so many of thoses cars fell into the low category and so the VRT brackets are to be stretched to make the system more tax neutral. What that actually means is they f##ked up and now there is no money in the states piggy bank and people who have spent their hard earned money on low Co2 ( all be it prestige) cars wont get the chance again. The way they thought it would work out was that the ordinary man would be buying diesel Renaults and Fords and the like and that better off man would continue to buy the big ,dirty gas guzzler. Hasnt happened that way and the way the DOF sees it is people driving BM's Audi diesels etc etc are fair game. Dont know how they are gonig to change it but you heard it here first...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any source for that 'rumour', or was it a taxi driver / barber / guy on the bus?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Damn sight more than 1%! Not sure how good an idea this is in the current market.....

318's went up by approx 5%, the rest of the range by 2.5% - fairly standard for manufacturer price increases.

I think the reason for paying the price based on delivery date rather than order date is because all the costs of new cars are revenue approved. If a car is sold after the price increase then the manufacturer / importer has to pay the new (higher) rate of VRT. It's possible some may gaurantee the pricing, but as AudiChris said earlier they are taking it out of their profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Signpost wrote: »
    Once ya go above 318 now its not really worth ur while, apart from the image in projects onto you, buying it. Get cars that are probably far better performers for similar prices!

WTF:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the Dept of finance has noticed that the new VRT system has not infact turned out to be tax neutral. Reason being because so many people have bought Bm's and the like which came down in price because of their low Co2. It seems they didnt figure so many of thoses cars fell into the low category and so the VRT brackets are to be stretched to make the system more tax neutral. What that actually means is they f##ked up and now there is no money in the states piggy bank and people who have spent their hard earned money on low Co2 ( all be it prestige) cars wont get the chance again. The way they thought it would work out was that the ordinary man would be buying diesel Renaults and Fords and the like and that better off man would continue to buy the big ,dirty gas guzzler. Hasnt happened that way and the way the DOF sees it is people driving BM's Audi diesels etc etc are fair game. Dont know how they are gonig to change it but you heard it here first...
    Sure I said that from the start. It was obvious that all their fat useless asses in the back of their state S500's and all their neighbours in their fancy estates with the X5 petrols and Range Rovers was what they perceived to be the "average" reasonably well off folk were buying. Since when did any minister ever express any knowledge about cars?

Advertisement