Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grant help please!

• 11-08-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Im currently going into my second year in maynooth. Im from dublin but the commute was way too long so I lived out there for the 2nd half of last year (supported myself with part time job and scholrship money) and Im moving up again this year. In my old school they never really provided much information on grants or anything, because the majority of studnets didnt need them and nearly everyone who went into college went to somewhere in dublin so didn't need to move out, so im pretty clueless with regards to entitlement so sorry if this is a stupid question!

Anyway, I was just talking to a woman in my job who said she's pretty sure that if im living away from home, no matter how much my parents earn, i can apply for a grant. My mam has a well-paid job and my dad is working too (after a few months of unemployement) so they always told me I wouldn't get one. Is it really different if I'm living away from home? And if there is a chance of me getting one, is it too late to apply now? I really haev no idea how the whole thing works!!

Comments

Im currently going into my second year in maynooth. Im from dublin but the commute was way too long so I lived out there for the 2nd half of last year (supported myself with part time job and scholrship money) and Im moving up again this year. In my old school they never really provided much information on grants or anything, because the majority of studnets didnt need them and nearly everyone who went into college went to somewhere in dublin so didn't need to move out, so im pretty clueless with regards to entitlement so sorry if this is a stupid question!

Anyway, I was just talking to a woman in my job who said she's pretty sure that if im living away from home, no matter how much my parents earn, i can apply for a grant. My mam has a well-paid job and my dad is working too (after a few months of unemployement) so they always told me I wouldn't get one. Is it really different if I'm living away from home? And if there is a chance of me getting one, is it too late to apply now? I really haev no idea how the whole thing works!!

Morning,

At the moment you can't be assessed on your own income if you're under 23 on the 1st of January in the year you start your course, since only Mature Students can be assessed on that. So while there are plans to change this system to allow something like if you've been living independently for 3 previous years, right now you can't be assessed on your own income.

It might be worth re-checking with your parents though since there are various bands of entitlements for the grant (full-grant, part-grant, fees only, etc.). There's a few links in my signature but if there's anything else don't hesitate to ask. The deadline is the 29th of August this year but some Councils/VECs allow applications after this date.

Advertisement