Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Anyone have any updates for this scheme? Does anyone know how the steel barrier installation is coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

KevR wrote: »
    Anyone have any updates for this scheme? Does anyone know how the steel barrier installation is coming along?

The steel barrier is installed almost as far as the Tonvey overbridge where you did the video of the surfacing work recently. Seems a bit slow to me tbh. They had the first 3km done in a few days. That bridge is at the 6km mark and they're only getting there now.

Thanks. Might stop in there on the way home for a quick look but I don't have my camera with me today I'm afraid.

I wonder how far they have gone towards Athlone with the final layer of asphalt; could it be the asphalt that's holding up the barrier?

I'm not sure how far the surfacing has gone but they're well gone from that area so it's not the ashphalt that's holding them up.

I updated the gallery with pics taken the day I drove it, 10/05/09.

IMAG0264.jpg_595.jpg

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=IMAG0254.jpg&s=595

IMAG0245.jpg_595.jpg

More here:
    http://gallery.m6.kaizersoze.net/index.php?album=athlone-to-ballinasloe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NGinEarLas

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The steel barrier is installed almost as far as the Tonvey overbridge where you did the video of the surfacing work recently. Seems a bit slow to me tbh. They had the first 3km done in a few days. That bridge is at the 6km mark and they're only getting there now.

Tonvey is around the 15km mark,

there is roughly 9km of the wearing course laid,

all but 1.5km of the road has the binder course laid,

the section at elan looks pretty good, last piece of major work that needs to be done, but theres pavers on site at that section, think the base course is being laid at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update NGinEarLas
    NGinEarLas wrote: »
    I presume you mean the 15km mark from Athlone?

I think Kaizersoze meant the 6km mark from Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

also for the railway bridges, have they left space to double the track at sometime in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

also for the railway bridges, have they left space to double the track at sometime in the future?

looks like it from the pic KaiserSoze posted

It's ~13.8 according to the maps (from Athlone), leaving ~5.6km to the end of the scheme. The original scheme length was shortened from 20.1 to 19.4km.
    KevR wrote:
    I think Kaizersoze meant the 6km mark from Ballinasloe.

Correct.:)

Plenty of room at the one in the pic (Drum). Not too sure about the one at the Athlone end. Nerer got a close look at it but I presume it's the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Just so ye know, the N6 STARTS at Ballinasloe and ENDS at Athlone . Therefore all distance measures are done from the junction east of the Suck .

You got that piebald broken in for your epic trek yet KS ???

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just so ye know, the N6 STARTS at Ballinasloe and ENDS at Athlone . Therefore all distance measures are done from the junction east of the Suck .

Tother way round Spongey. All the measurements and maps start at the Athlone end. Galway to Ballinasloe is the other way around. Starts in Galway and ends in Ballinasloe and all measurements from Galway.
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You got that piebald broken in for your epic trek yet KS ???

That trek is isn't so easy anymore. Took a drive last Sunday. Aughrim to Cappataggle, and probably further, is crawling with private security at evenings and weekends. Don't know what has changed. Must have been some pilfering or joyriding going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That trek is isn't so easy anymore. Took a drive last Sunday. Aughrim to Cappataggle, and probably further, is crawling with private security at evenings and weekends. Don't know what has changed. Must have been some pilfering or joyriding going on.

Or they read boards.ie and knew you planned something... :)

Here's the latest view of progress at the Tuam Rd junction, the roundabout here is about half done as well.

I still think getting all this completed before the end of July is optimistic.

82463.JPG

Jeez, they're fairly moving there db.

Meanwhile at the other end....
    12062009099.jpg_595.jpg

...line painting has begun.:)

Thanks for the pictures Dolanbaker & Kaizersoze! They seem to be making good progress at the Athlone end and it's nice to see line painting has started at the Ballinasloe end.

I stopped at the Tonvey bridge on the way home to get a few snaps of the barrier progress:

Looking West:
    th_P1010644.jpg th_P1010649.jpg

Looking East:
    th_P1010646.jpg th_P1010650.jpg

I stopped here on Wednesday also (but had no camera) and when I stopped again (yesterday, Friday) they had made a reasonable amount of progress.

Installation of this steel barrier isn't happening at as quick a rate as concrete barriers on other schemes but the final layer of asphalt has been laid before the barrier installation; with concrete you'd still have to lay the final layer after the barrier has been put in.

Thanks for the pictures Dolanbaker & Kaizersoze! They seem to be making good progress at the Athlone end and it's nice to see line painting has started at the Ballinasloe end.

I stopped at the Tonvey bridge on the way home to get a few snaps of the barrier progress:

Looking West:
    th_P1010644.jpg th_P1010649.jpg

Looking East:
    th_P1010646.jpg th_P1010650.jpg

I stopped here on Wednesday also (but had no camera) and when I stopped again (yesterday, Friday) they had made a reasonable amount of progress.

Installation of this steel barrier isn't happening at as quick a rate as concrete barriers on other schemes but the final layer of asphalt has been laid before the barrier installation; with concrete you'd still have to lay the final layer after the barrier has been put in.

:eek:

I was out there last Tuesday and they hadn't reached the bridge at that stage and nothing to the East at all. They must have gotten the finger out.

th_P1010650.jpg

Btw, does anyone know what the pond is for at the left of this pic?
    It was constructed by the contractor and alot of work went into it.
    It also has an access road to it from the local Tonvey road.

Was wondering about that pond too. When I saw them constructing it I presumed it must be something to do with drainage but the finished thing doesn't look like it's anything to do with drainage.

Looking at those other pictures, maybe opening late July is possible!!!!

edit: the only part of the project that's still at the "earthworks" stage is the eastbound LILO & roundabout by Élan, but there is rapid progress here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looking at the line painting pics, it sure looks like it's going to be quite a narrow Hard Shoulder. Wouldn't want to break down along there and have to try to get out on the drivers side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Those ponds are called "balancing ponds" and are used to channel runoff water into. They prevent a load of water rushing off the road and flooding nearby watercourses.

murphaph wrote: »
    Those ponds are called "balancing ponds" and are used to channel runoff water into. They prevent a load of water rushing off the road and flooding nearby watercourses.

Good man. 'Tis a bad day when you don't learn something.:)

flazio wrote: »
    Looking at the line painting pics, it sure looks like it's going to be quite a narrow Hard Shoulder. Wouldn't want to break down along there and have to try to get out on the drivers side.

Is that because that picture is of a stretch at a junction? If I'm not mistaken, the hard shoulder usually drops off (with only a narrow strip remaining) just before the entry/exit lanes merge/diverge from the main carriageway. I don't think and certainly hope it won't be that narrow further away from junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

There are a load of these off the Ennis bypass as well. I wondered for they were for. Thanks for the info.

Sorry kaizersoze for picking one of your posts up wrong about the chainage of Tonvey, I was thinking of the other direction, starting in Athlone ;).

The Job is called 'M6 Ballinasloe to Athlone', but the distances along the route are marked from Athlone to Ballinasloe, i.e, chainage 0 is at the Athlone By-pass tie-in.

I don't think that they will be to far behind the July deadline that has been mentioned. The last major work that has to be done is at elan and even at that all the earthworks are finished, the base course is laid and the final section of the binder course has started to be laid along the main line, after that its back to the wearing course and if there's no bad weather then they will fly down the road in about 3 weeks because its such a thin layer in comparison to every other layer.

As for the Ballinasloe end all that needs to be done is the line marking (which as has been pointed out is well on its way), and the completion of the crash barrier down the center line. As far as i know all the crash barriers along the edges and side roads have been pretty much finished. They were done during the period where there seemed to be very little work done with the centerline barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Don't they have a filter to trap any oil washed off the road too? I remember the M4 newsletter saying this was why the drainage was taking so long.

anyway the latest M6 (Galway to Balinasloe) newsletter has a good explaination of the road layers.
    http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/ContractorsNewsletters/file,16124,en.pdf

Hey!
    For anyone that may be interested, the wearing course has been started on the Athlone side of the job and by the looks of things their moving very fast!!! :eek:

Hey!
    For anyone that may be interested, the wearing course has been started on the Athlone side of the job and by the looks of things their moving very fast!!! :eek:

Yeah they're fairly flying it alright. Passed that way on Friday morning and had a look.
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009119.jpg&s=595

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009120.jpg&s=595

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009121.jpg&s=595

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009122.jpg&s=595

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009123.jpg&s=595

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009124.jpg&s=595

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009125.jpg&s=595

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009126.jpg&s=595

Armco installers are now as far as the Shannonbridge road overbridge, close to the N6 crossover. Line painting as far as Tonvey. Pavers about 2 kms past N6 crossover.

• Advertisement

I wonder will they get it done in 5 weeks (before the 24th of July)? Would be good if they got it done before the builders' holidays..

Advertisement