Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

KevR wrote: »
    I wonder will they get it done in 5 weeks (before the 24th of July)? Would be good if they got it done before the builders' holidays..

It would be a big ask I'd say. Should have added, it's only white broken lines that is done so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NGinEarLas

Yup, Word is that they will have it open the week before that.

I think that they will as well, they have a lot of work to do, but there seriously flying with the wearing course on the athlone side. had a look this evening and its down near the last overbridge on the athlone side (I think its the last overbridge anyways), they only started the wearing course on that side one day last week :eek:!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Stopped at Tonvey for a quick look on the way home and they have gone up around the next bend (Eastwards) with the broken white line painting from that bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was the first to predict 'by' the 24th of July

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59730544&postcount=191

I stand by my prediction :cool:

I've just seen this quote in the westmeath forum, I have no idea of how true it is but here's hoping.

According to my girlfriend, who is working for Siac Wills, the balinasloe to Athlone bypass is due open on the 17th of july (maybe it was 19th, in and around that!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ihatewallies

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I was the first to predict 'by' the 24th of July

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59730544&postcount=191

I stand by my prediction :cool:

yeah you're really something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yeah you're really something.

Its simple really , I find learning to count is a great help and commend the skill to your good self .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

kaizersoze wrote: »
    It would be a big ask I'd say. Should have added, it's only white broken lines that is done so far.

Lining and studding is a rapid process, so don't worry. A fierce amount can be lined/studded in one day.

Stopped at the Loughlackagh overbridge today for a quick look. They are gone well past that bridge with the broken white lines. I would imagine that they will keep going until they catch up (should be soon) with the barrier installation/laying of the final layer of asphalt and then they'll turn back and start doing the solid white median line towards Ballinasloe.

I wonder if they have corrected that dodgy signage that someone posted a picture of on here??

Would be awesome if it's open by the 17th of July. I will be disgusted if it opens under a 100kmh speed limit though - hurry up with the redesignations Mr Dempsey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Would be awesome if it's open by the 17th of July. I will be disgusted if it opens under a 100kmh speed limit though - hurry up with the redesignations Mr Dempsey!!

It's too late I'm afraid. Phase 1 of the redesignations (ironically enough) was signed on the 17th of July last year and they came into effect on the 24th September. Between those dates, "motorway ahead", "end of motorway" etc. signs were covered up on the M6 Kilbeggan scheme and M9 Carlow Bypass (and in the case of Cashel-Mitchelstown removed entirely) and the 100 km/h limit was in operation.

It's looking very likely the same thing is going to happen again. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah but for a good year or longer the Kinnegad to Kilbeggan stretch was designated N6 100km/h, but hardly anyone took heed. Don't see why this won't be the case now.

flazio wrote: »
    Yeah but for a good year or longer the Kinnegad to Kilbeggan stretch was designated N6 100km/h, but hardly anyone took heed. Don't see why this won't be the case now.

Many people will disregard the 100kmh speed limit but I for one will be paranoid that the Gardai will be out pulling people (for anything in between 101kmh and 120kmh, anything over that and you have no excuse) on the the odd occasion so I'll stick to the limit.

Many people will disregard the 100kmh speed limit but I for one will be paranoid that the Gardai will be out pulling people (for anything in between 101kmh and 120kmh, anything over that and you have no excuse) on the the odd occasion so I'll stick to the limit.

I hated that section while it was 100kmh as I was very wary of speed traps, for political rather than safety reasons! It just didn't feel right going that slow!

I hated that section while it was 100kmh as I was very wary of speed traps, for political rather than safety reasons! It just didn't feel right going that slow!

The N18 HQDC between Crusheen and Shannon is really spoiled by the 100kmh limit. Great road and great scenery but having to constantly watch the speedometer and try to keep your speed down at a speed which feels too low ruins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I actually think traffic went faster on that stretch when the limit was 100 km/hr. People just said "Sod it, I'm breaking the limit anyway, why not 150?"

Zube wrote: »
    I actually think traffic went faster on that stretch when the limit was 100 km/hr. People just said "Sod it, I'm breaking the limit anyway, why not 150?"

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

17th July is a Friday, whereas the 19th is a Sunday. Only a bit of the M1 pened on a Sunday to let Tyrone and Armagh traffic by Dundalk so I'd say the Friday is the day.... great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The N18 HQDC between Crusheen and Shannon is really spoiled by the 100kmh limit. Great road and great scenery but having to constantly watch the speedometer and try to keep your speed down at a speed which feels too low ruins it.

God bless cruise control :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The road is well capable of 120km/hr alright lets just hope Dempsey sees the same.

The Ennis Bypass was constructed standard dual carriageway though but still has the cabability of doing that speed.

I wonder would the NRA ever consider increasing the speed limits on motorways most of the HQDC's are well capable of doing significantly more than 120km/hr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NGinEarLas

The road will open at 120km/hr. The reason why the Kinnegead/Killbeggan/Moate sections of the road opened at 100km was because the re-designation of the road was not signed until July of last year. The Killbeggan to Moate section opened in June.

The signs around Athlone for the by-pass (Motorway) are in blue, not just indicating the motorway east bound, but also for heading west bound. When the Moate to Kilbeggan section of the road opened it opened with normal green signs and were changed then when the road changed to motorway. The Athlone by-pass will remain a 100km national road.

Dont worry, the new road will and will be opened as a 120km motorway!:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

No it wont. They can do exactly what they did with the Carlow bypass and put up blue signs, cover up every instance of the word "motorway" and put a 100kmh limit on it. In fact, its almost guaranteed. Even if Dempsey signed the redesignation papers right now it would be a few months before it gets implemented. This bit of road would be opened by then, so would have to open as an N road.

It WONT be opened as a 120km motorway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tallpaul04

ah gud oul ireland!!! it's good to know some things always stay the same:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No speed limit signs in place yet on the east bound on-ramp at the Ballinasloe end but the poles are in place. All other signs are there.

The West bound on-ramp has 120 kmh in place though.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    No speed limit signs in place yet on the east bound on-ramp at the Ballinasloe end but the poles are in place. All other signs are there.

The West bound on-ramp has 120 kmh in place though.

They had 120k signs on the Athlone Kilbeggan section as well, but replaced them with 100k signs just before opening! then replaced them again with 120k signs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm going to drop Roscommon County Council and email on Monday to see if they will consider applying to have a special 120kmh speed limit on the N6 HQDC upon opening. Hopefully they will at least answer me (not ignore me like the NRA!) and see the sense in it.

I think Co. Co's are restricted in changing the speed limits of N roads by the Nra, Dublin Corpo couldn't reduce the limit on O'Connell St in Dublin, as It's the N1, didn't stop them putting up 30 limit signs though.

I thought Cork County Council managed to get the speed limit on some Dual Carriageway upped to 120kmh..

Also, Westmeath County Council are having the Athlone Bypass speed limit 'reduced' to 100kmh after it has being redesignated as motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think Co. Co's are restricted in changing the speed limits of N roads by the Nra, Dublin Corpo couldn't reduce the limit on O'Connell St in Dublin, as It's the N1, didn't stop them putting up 30 limit signs though.

All speed limits are down to the council - Cork, Fingal and Meath (latter two being the same road) have uprated HQDCs to 120 for instance.

MYOB wrote: »
    All speed limits are down to the council - Cork, Fingal and Meath (latter two being the same road) have uprated HQDCs to 120 for instance.

with the nra's permission though...

section 9 (7) of the road traffic act 2004
    A county council or city council shall not make bye-laws under this section relating to a national road or a motorway without the prior written consent of the National Roads Authority

The N1 in Louth has a 120 limit too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I thought Cork County Council managed to get the speed limit on some Dual Carriageway upped to 120kmh..

Also, Westmeath County Council are having the Athlone Bypass speed limit 'reduced' to 100kmh after it has being redesignated as motorway.

Come again? When did they say it was confirmed that this road would be a Motorway (Athlone bypass)

May god have mercy on us all

Advertisement