Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 'special' signage will sort Athlone out

attachment.php?attachmentid=83488&d=1245868153

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Does mid July not seem like a bit of a stretch to say that it will be open then. Looks like a good months work left...

I think you're right. I can't see how they'll finish everything (incl the tie in) in 3 weeks. We'll see I suppose.

They could open the western 2/3 of the scheme end of next week , easy . It would not make much of a difference but it could be done . 2 weeks for the rest including barriers and marking and grass seed is very possible.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They could open the western 2/3 of the scheme end of next week , easy . It would not make much of a difference but it could be done . 2 weeks for the rest including barriers and marking and grass seed is very possible.

How would they manage that?:confused: There's no junction between Ballinasloe and Athlone.

Apart from the Tuam Rd roundabout, the rest of the project appears to be almost complete.

A couple of weeks to finish is possible, assuming good weather.

Completing the roundabout is the main priority as without it, local traffic won't be able to join or leave eastbound.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    How would they manage that?:confused: There's no junction between Ballinasloe and Athlone.

Thought there was , soz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Completing the roundabout is the main priority as without it, local traffic won't be able to join or leave eastbound.

They could open the mainline and send local traffic to the Roscommon road until the roundabout/onramp is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Zube wrote: »
    They could open the mainline and send local traffic to the Roscommon road until the roundabout/onramp is ready.

No fricking way! :eek: That road is god-god awful. Being local im biased but...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

KevR wrote: »
    I thought I could see studs aswell but I wasn't sure (didn't get out of the car to have a proper look). They look a bit more compact than the usual cat's eyes (similar to some of the M4 I think).

Had a closer look yesterday evening and there are what I would call cat's eyes in between the broken white lines while there are what I would call studs at the solid white median line and solid yellow emergency lane line.

I'm glad they put the studs outside the solid yellow and white lines. My preference is to have them on the lines but I don't mind if they are outside either. I hate(!) when they are put in inside the lines.

Have a few pictures in the M6 thread in Commuting & Transport (just to give that thread a bump).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=01072009145.jpg&s=1000
    I'm interested to know what the access arrangement is for that bungalow that's right beside the road? Is there a tiny laneway we can't see? They'd need some fencing or the noise would be madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On SABRE its being suggested its going to be demolished after the road is done, thought to be used as site offices at the moment.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I'm interested to know what the access arrangement is for that bungalow that's right beside the road? Is there a tiny laneway we can't see? They'd need some fencing or the noise would be madness.

There's no access to it basically except for a narrow little gap. That house wasn't actually lived in for a long time anyway afaik. It was the creche for the Elan workers and owned by Elan as well.

Like MYOB says it's likely to be demolished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Also guys another thanks for the great updates lately.

I think its fair to say all eyes are on this scheme at the minute as its so close to completion.

I travelled to Dublin on the train today so I got a look at some of the scheme east of the N6 crossover. The line painters have been at work there as well and the armco support posts are also in installed for a good few kms.

spacetweek wrote: »

These show the access to the house a bit better. I'd imagine there'll be some sort of screen fence going at the bottom of the embankment as well.

The gap between the small pillar and the fencing in the first pic is the only access

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009120.jpg&s=1000

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009121.jpg&s=1000

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=19062009124.jpg&s=1000

Latest from the Tuam Rd junction.

84557.JPG

84558.JPG

84559.JPG

The Roundabout just needs one more layer of sub-base before the topcoat, could be in use (fully) by the end of this week.

According to this weeks Athlone Voice newspaper, Friday 24th of July is the provisional date that Minister Dempsey has in his diary for the official opening.

Final layer of asphalt is down near the N6 overbridge and broken white lines have been painted also.

According to this weeks Athlone Voice newspaper, Friday 24th of July is the provisional date that Minister Dempsey has in his diary for the official opening.

Connacht Tribune are saying it could open on Thursday the 23rd.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/8091-racegoers-benefit-new-motorway
    Racegoers to benefit from new motorway

Thu 9th July 2009
    Athlone to Ballinasloe stretch to open on July 23

N6_road_5_0.JPG
    RACEGOERS heading for the Ballybrit Festival will be on at least one winner – from the point of view of the thousands driving to Galway. For, a further new stretch of motorway to the west is due to open just in time for the Festival.
    It is understood that Taoiseach Brian Cowen will ‘do the honours’ when the 20 kilometre stretch linking Athlone and Ballinasloe opens on July 23, a matter of days before the trek to Galway for the Races begins for tens of thousands of motorists.
    The new €97 million road brings closer to reality the dream of a motorway standard road all the way from Dublin to Galway, but the new road to be opened in time for the Races will only bring traffic to
    the outer eastern limits of Ballinasloe.
    Work is progressing on the further 57.6 kilometre €605million link from west of Ballinasloe to Galway, and the Chairman of the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Transport, Dail Deputy Frank Fahey, said this week that this further new stretch would be...

Think that's a picture of the Galway-Ballinasloe scheme haha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would love to see what Fahey has to say after "stretch would be..."

• Advertisement

Would have to buy the Connacht Tribune or subscribe for the full online version of the story.

I'm away at the moment but I'll buy a copy of the paper if there are any still around when I get home on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Would have to buy the Connacht Tribune or subscribe for the full online version of the story.

I'm away at the moment but I'll buy a copy of the paper if there are any still around when I get home on Sunday.

I'm in the same boat! I'll be in Galway on Saturday and will see if I can get my hands on it.

Connacht Tribune are saying it could open on Thursday the 23rd.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/8091-racegoers-benefit-new-motorway

Think that's a picture of the Galway-Ballinasloe scheme haha :rolleyes:

The reporter got a bit lazy so! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭serfboard

churchview wrote: »

"delivered ahead of time and within budget"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They need to get their figures right.
    The new €97 million road brings closer to reality the dream of a motorway standard road all the way from Dublin to Galway

Work is progressing on the further 57.6 kilometre €605million link from west of Ballinasloe to Galway

Funny how one scheme goes to the east of Ballinasloe and the next one starts on the west. By the sounds of it, there are no plans to build a motorway bypass of Ballinasloe.

Should be interesting! Or maybe not, if the paper had done even a little research.

churchview wrote: »
    Would love to see what Fahey has to say after "stretch would be

"stretch would be within budget due to the scrapping of the concrete barrier thus reducing safety on this route" and something about promising us the M18/M17 again :rolleyes:

churchview wrote:

i.php?a=misc&i=ConnachtTribune.jpg&s=1000

The claim of no money around isint false. It is very true.

Also the Limerick tunnel and Waterford Bypass are PPP's so he doesnt really makes sense on that there is excessive money spent on these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Also they were already signed because neither of them would have a hope of starting if they were due to start in 2009.

Also Frank Fahey is still spouting. Lets not forget its his Fianna Fail government that prioritised other roads over the Galway Outer Bypass when by all accounts it should have had priority over certain other stretches. I'm not going to say which, because this thread will then descend into anarchy.

• Advertisement

Also they were already signed because neither of them would have a hope of starting if they were due to start in 2009.

Also Frank Fahey is still spouting. Lets not forget its his Fianna Fail government that prioritised other roads over the Galway Outer Bypass when by all accounts it should have had priority over certain other stretches. I'm not going to say which, because this thread will then descend into anarchy.
    Please start a new one. ;)

Advertisement