Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

A few from the (lesser covered) eastern side of the N6 crossover.

East & West from Ardkeenan overbridge.
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00302.JPG&s=800
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00303.JPG&s=800

Newtown railway underbridge.
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00305.JPG&s=800
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00306.JPG&s=800

Western end J14. Not much left to do here.

i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00308.JPG&s=800
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00312.JPG&s=800
    Joining Armco to concrete barrier.
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00314.JPG&s=800

East from Shannonbridge road overbridge. No sign on gantry yet.
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00311.JPG&s=800
    Long shot from same overbridge showing Kilbegley overbridge in the distance. Notice the sign in the pic, which previously showed the incorrect distance to Kinnegad, has been corrected.:)
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00310.JPG&s=800

More pics and full size versions here:
    http://gallery.m6.kaizersoze.net/index.php?album=athlone-to-ballinasloe&page=5

Gettin close now.:)
    Temporary signs now in place at Ballinasloe end on the mainline to warn motorists that road is closed ahead and to follow diversion to old N6. Signs stretch back about 1.5 km from J14 and are placed in the hard shoulder and attached to the Armco in the center.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

2 shots from a phone camera from the N6 Overbridge, taken last Thursday.

On Saturday afternoon, the posts for the armco were in and the armco itself was on the ground beside them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭flazio

How come they haven't finished the alignment on the bridge those photos were taken on, it must have been a month since they did the lines on the east side.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    How come they haven't finished the alignment on the bridge those photos were taken on, it must have been a month since they did the lines on the east side.

Low priority job, all effort is being put into finishing the Tie-in at Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Cutting it extremely thin if its gonna be open for raceweek.

Cant see it happening. Ive heard the scientific explanation for it ages back, but i hark back to the Moate bypass. This looked "ready" at least a month prior to opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As far as I remember, the Moate bypass was actually ready but they delayed the opening until the various politicians' diaries were free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Stark wrote: »
    As far as I remember, the Moate bypass was actually ready but they delayed the opening until the various politicians' diaries were free.

This is exactly what I heard gave them a chance to bring out all the local "notables" and get their faces in the paper.

Cutting it extremely thin if its gonna be open for raceweek.

Cant see it happening. Ive heard the scientific explanation for it ages back, but i hark back to the Moate bypass. This looked "ready" at least a month prior to opening.

Worst case scenario is that there is some minor tidying up tasks carried over to the following week.

There's only really the Tuam rd roundabout to finish before the traffic is re-routed back via this roundabout while the temp crossover is removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 connemaraexpat

I see that Athlone-Ballinasloe will be given motorway designation on 28th August. Does this mean that when I come home at the beginning of August I will have to slow down to 100KM and all the signs will be green?

No, all the signs are blue (even the ones for the bypass?) I believe that the speed will be 120k on the new section (as stated by others here).

I had a quick look at the Elan roundabout this evening and it looks almost complete, just a small section of topcoat to lay and lines painted. The main line has been fully lined by the looks of things.

The roundabout could be ready for use by this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

kaizersoze wrote: »
    W
    Long shot from same overbridge showing Kilbegley overbridge in the distance. Notice the sign in the pic, which previously showed the incorrect distance to Kinnegad, has been corrected.:)
    i.php?a=athlone-to-ballinasloe&i=DSC00310.JPG&s=800

That looks like a huge bend for a motorway? Or are there similar bends on the existing M6 that I just haven't noticed?

That looks like a huge bend for a motorway? Or are there similar bends on the existing M6 that I just haven't noticed?

It's more of an optical illusion as the camera is way to the side of the road.

There are similar bends near the Kilbeggan junction.

Latest images from the Tuam Rd junction, as good as complete!

85241.JPG

85240.JPG

The Roundabout is finished, Tuam Rd itself is receiving its final section of topcoat, it could be complete before the day is out! :)

Next Friday opening is a definate!

Thanks db.
    I had a look down around Elan on Sunday evening last and there was no sign of Armco or lines so there's been good progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Latest images from the Tuam Rd junction, as good as complete!

85241.JPG

[IM G]https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/73006/85240.JPG[/IMG]

Which direction is the first pic facing (East or West)? Only reason I ask is so I can work out whether the blue sign in the background indicates possible redesignation of the Athlone bypass or simply the motorway to Galway!

I'd say there is a good chance that traffic will be diverted onto the Tuan Rd roundabout this weekend and the temporary crossover will be closed off and the median reinstated early next week.

I've also noticed that they have started to finish the road layout of the "new" monksland cul-de-sac (the bit that got cut out).

Which direction is the first pic facing (East or West)? Only reason I ask is so I can work out whether the blue sign in the background indicates possible redesignation of the Athlone bypass or simply the motorway to Galway!

West towards Galway, but this picture is at the Tuam Rd roundabout showing the blue signs for Dublin via the Athlone bypass.

85246.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Westbound approaching the Tuam Rd exit there were new blue distance countdown signs this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

It's possible the NRA had blue signage ordered for the Athlone Bypass and they're either just gonna throw it up anyway and wait for the (inevitable) redesignation or simply wait until the minister redesignates it in the future.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    It's possible the NRA had blue signage ordered for the Athlone Bypass and they're either just gonna throw it up anyway and wait for the (inevitable) redesignation or simply wait until the minister redesignates it in the future.

More likely they just assumed that it was a given, anyway it's only a handful of signs at this junction, none of the signs have been replaced on the bypass yet (except Tuam Rd).

Tuam Exit Westbound now has blue signs. Awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

AA Roadwatch confirms 23 July at 11am opening ceremony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 connemaraexpat

The following extract is taken from the Westmeath Independent this week

However, it will not officially become a motorway until August 28 next when the legal designation kicks in, so until then it remains a dual carriageway with a 100 kilometre an hour speed limit. A Department of Transport statement this week simply states: 'Drivers using the existing open sections of the route (Athlone to Ballinasloe) should note, that until August 28 2009, the current speed limit will apply.'

Are you still sure that it will open at 120?

The link road connecting J14 to the N6 has been complete and fully signed/lined for a couple of months. I noticed today though that the short bit of it, as far as where it intersects the Shannonbridge road, has had it's broken yellow lines removed.

Am I correct in assuming that it will be replaced with a solid yellow rumble line and be put under motorway restrictions? There's nothing else up that road except the motorway.

Ok maybe im being pernickety but...

The Tuam Exit sign westbound is blue... Should it not be green? Your not on the motorway until you go past Tuam Junction right?

This was only put up last week so they would have known of the heroic non-redesignation of the athlone bypass

It should probably be green with blue patching and accompanied with a sign advising of restrictions.

Will probably stay like this until a final decision on redesignation is made. It will either then be correct and stay forever or it will have to be replaced.

The following extract is taken from the Westmeath Independent this week

However, it will not officially become a motorway until August 28 next when the legal designation kicks in, so until then it remains a dual carriageway with a 100 kilometre an hour speed limit. A Department of Transport statement this week simply states: 'Drivers using the existing open sections of the route (Athlone to Ballinasloe) should note, that until August 28 2009, the current speed limit will apply.'

Are you still sure that it will open at 120?

If the motorway opens with a 100kmh speed limit I will be annoyed to say the least. I tried contacting Galway & Roscommon County Councils about have a special 120kmh speed limit put in place on it while it remains DC. They didn't even have the decency to reply to me.

• Advertisement

nordydan wrote: »
    AA Roadwatch confirms 23 July at 11am opening ceremony

Is there a link for that?

Does anyone know whereabouts the ceremony is taking place/where the plaque will be?

Advertisement