Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Michelin maps usually have a dashed line for proposed major roads and a completion date printed on the maps. So, here they'd have dashed lines for the Mitchelstown bypass, the Athlone-B'Sloe road, Waterford bypass, etc.

I'd imagine it'd be in the interests of paper mapmakers to update their maps regularly in a country with lots of main roads coming onstream like here.
    Maybe noone buys paper maps anymore, and if it's not on the gps it doesn't exist....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Michelin maps usually have a dashed line for proposed major roads and a completion date printed on the maps. So, here they'd have dashed lines for the Mitchelstown bypass, the Athlone-B'Sloe road, Waterford bypass, etc.

I use viamichelin a lot myself ... and actually if you zoom in on some of the schemes the detail actually does show the roads as open (Ath->Bsloe for example). Their bigger scale maps don't, but do show the dashed lines as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

I see the numbnuts have part of the westbound bypass down to one lane AGAIN after the Coosan exit.
    I dont know why they call it a dual-carraiageway, its a single lane carriageway most of the time :D

billbond4 wrote: »
    I see the numbnuts have part of the westbound bypass down to one lane AGAIN after the Coosan exit.
    I dont know why they call it a dual-carraiageway, its a single lane carriageway most of the time :D
    What are they doing?

Are they removing the old green Tuam Rd exit sign ??

I dont know, I only spotted it this morning when I joined the bypass from the Roscommon exit going eastbound.
    Hopefully its just to take down the sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

They've re-numbered (just patching) the exits 8-13 on the athlone bypass to link in with the M6. I guess this is why there was lane restrictions.

Obvously getting impatient with the redesignation decision (New green or Blue signs!), could be many months away, in the meantime the current numbering must be confusing visitors!

visitors had plenty of time to look at numbers this evening, as the muppets left all the cones on the road, sure why would you take cones off a road when your finished?? that's something they do in those foreign countries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Was on this section for the first time under darkness on Friday night when on the bus to Dublin Airport. The studs, cat's eyes and reflectors on the armco are amazing; possibly the best I have ever seen! Really and truly like a runway.

KevR wrote: »
    Was on this section for the first time under darkness on Friday night when on the bus to Dublin Airport. The studs, cat's eyes and reflectors on the armco are amazing; possibly the best I have ever seen! Really and truly like a runway.

The Athlone - Kilbeggan section was like that when it first opened as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

The Athlone - Kilbeggan section was like that when it first opened as well.

I think Athlone-Kilbeggan has the same stick on studs along the emergency lane and median rather than cat's eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.galwaynews.ie/8718-blockade-n6-underway-cappataggle-residents
    A blockade of the N6 is underway at Cappataggle.
    Local residents are preventing trucks and lorries from exiting onto the main Kilconnell - Cappataggle Road from the N6 Relief Road near Cappataggle.
    They're claiming the N6 Construction company has damaged roads near a local school.

The consortium has been quite remiss in fixing the local/access roads up . They were supposed to have completed repairs by May 2009 , but did not .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Is it the N6 that was blocked or the Kilconnell/Cappataggle road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Closed to preserve for posterity!

Final task on this section.
    Fascinating to see the original structure hidden inside the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For those of you who aren't sure where this is, it's the bridge that used to take the N6 across the rail line when it veered left at the end of the bypass. Kinda sad they couldn't have found a way to retain it, even as an end of a Cul de sac.

Whatever happened to those drainage works that were supposed to close the motorway before Christmas?

wow, I've a whole new respect for siac after watching that, very well managed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You can see the bridge (and railway) appear on the osi's historic maps here:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,600984,740676,7,9

by clicking between the historic 6" and 25" maps.

6 inch mapping series (1:10,560) greyscale 1837-1842
    25 inch mapping series (1:2,500) greyscale 1888-1913

The railway reached Athlone in 1851.

Yeah thats a great job, its a pity they could keep the old springwell road open and not have the bridge cut it off.
    There is an old closed bridge still on the olde tuam road underneath the esso petrol station

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This should be in the Galway Ballinasloe thread of course. What was this about??? :)

Page 2 http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/annualreports/2011/report/en/Chapter6.pdf
    Project Cost Increase
    6.6 Following a dispute between the NRA and a PPP company relating to the completion of works on
    the N6 Galway – Ballinasloe PPP scheme, a mediator was appointed in July 2011. A settlement
    agreement was reached in August 2011, under which the PPP company undertook to complete
    specified works, and the NRA agreed to pay an additional €16 million, most of which was paid in
    2011.2 The overall impact of the settlement is that total payments to the PPP company are
    projected to be €376.5 million (a 4.4% increase).

• Advertisement
Advertisement