Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

I had a quick look at "The Bridge over the river shannon" (has a ring to it!) and it appears that the expansion gap has failled at the roscommon end, it has been warmer recently.
    If the gap is blocked with debris and it gets warmer the gap can't close and the road surface will break up next to it, leaving a big hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

So much for the bridge having one lane for a day, its a week now and so sign of them opening the two lanes.
    The AA website says it should be open today, but i dunno

From AA roadwatch
    Westmeath - The N6/Athlone Bypass is down to one lane westbound between the Coosan turnoff and the Roscommon turnoff for works
    Updated: 20/03/2009 19:48:42
    Avoid during rush hour as motorists have complained of up to 25 minute delays in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

and how are you supposed to manage that? Next bridge north is in Lanesbourgh, half an hour away, down south, unless you chance going through the town, it's Shannonbridge with it's permanent 1 way stop go system

There is a lot of activity around the Tuam Rd junction today, they have started to build the temporary eastbound "chicane" on the westbound LILO, looks like the changeover will happen soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

lads whats a LILO

lads whats a LILO

Left in Left out, it means a junction where both the on ramp and exit ramp are together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Left in Left out, it means a junction where both the on ramp and exit ramp are together.

Am a bit confussd as to where exactly the eastbound traveller can now get onto the DC at Monksland. Where is the Central Reservations to be cut open, and will this whole area require :eek: traffic lights?

Am a bit confussd as to where exactly the eastbound traveller can now get onto the DC at Monksland. Where is the Central Reservations to be cut open, and will this whole area require :eek: traffic lights?
    I think the central reservation will be opened up between the westbound on and off ramps, the westbound on ramp will become the eastbound mainline hopping over the westbound carriageway and landing on the eastbound carriageway by the bridge. That roundabout will be very bust at peak times.

Sounds like fun times ahead, in the meantime the RAB is progressing well near Dolans SS outside Ballinasloe. Could someone explain why there needs to be new a road between the Shannonbridge road and the current N6? Surely anyone getting off the Motorway at that point can just follow the Shannonbridge road into Ballinasloe.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Sounds like fun times ahead, in the meantime the RAB is progressing well near Dolans SS outside Ballinasloe. Could someone explain why there needs to be new a road between the Shannonbridge road and the current N6? Surely anyone getting off the Motorway at that point can just follow the Shannonbridge road into Ballinasloe.

I believe it's to allow westbound traffic from the old N6 to join the motorway without going into Ballinasloe and then going east to go west.

I believe it's to allow westbound traffic from the old N6 to join the motorway without going into Ballinasloe and then going east to go west.

And obviously, the more opportunities you can get to dodge that god-awful town, the better! :D

An afterthought.... Do you think that locals will have the cop to use the old Tuam Road when all D-G traffic is routed through the Monksland Roundabout?

Or better yet, will the planners have the cop to signpost the diversion to Tuam-bound travellers, so that th burden on the roundabout is at least eased. As someone stuck in the middle of all that mayhem, i would like to hope they would.

I say this because when the Westbound Tuam Exit was closed, alot of people were stupid enough to go through the "actual" diversion rather than the "smart" one (U-turn at Summerhill), causing chaos and then some. Granted not everyone knows these roads that well etc, but there were alot of locals also guilty of this

An afterthought.... Do you think that locals will have the cop to use the old Tuam Road when all D-G traffic is routed through the Monksland Roundabout?

All local traffic will be using the old Tuam road, this is because the (new) Tuam Rd will be closed between the roundabout & Elan while the road is rebuilt and another roundabout built next to Pharmaplatz.

All local traffic will be using the old Tuam road, this is becaust the (new) Tuam Rd will be closed between the roundabout & Elan while the road is rebuilt and another roundabout built next to Pharmaplatz.

Just to clarify, they can hardly close the road altogether. One still needs to access the Daneshill area. How else could Aidan Beatties and co do their tow-truck work (and ~500 people get to and from their homes :D)

So i guess it will just become a cul de sac (local acces only etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Progress from N6 overbridge heading West.

West from N6 Overbridge at Thomastown.
    West%20from%20N6%20Overbridge%20at%20Thomastown.jpg

East from Shannonbridge Rd Overbridge (L2039).
    East%20from%20Shannonbridge%20Rd%20Overbridge%20(L2039).jpg
    West from Shannonbridge Rd Overbridge (L2039).
    West%20from%20Shannonbridge%20Rd%20Overbridge%20(L2039).jpg

East from Loughlackagh Overbridge (L2041).
    East%20from%20Loughlackagh%20Overbridge%20(L2041).jpg
    West from Loughlackagh Overbridge (L2041).
    West%20from%20Loughlackagh%20Overbridge%20(L2041).jpg

East from Tonvey Overbridge (L7616).
    East%20from%20Tonvey%20Overbridge%20(L7616).jpg
    West from Tonvey Overbridge (L7616).
    West%20from%20Tonvey%20Overbridge%20(L7616).jpg

East from Kilbegly Overbridge (L7600).
    East%20from%20Kilbegly%20Overbridge%20(L7600).jpg
    West from Kilbegly Overbridge (L7600).
    West%20from%20Kilbegly%20Overbridge%20(L7600).jpg

All taken 26/03/09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Kaiser, are those pictures of the Athlone to B/sloe scheme OR the B/sloe to Galway scheme?

Furet wrote: »
    Kaiser, are those pictures of the Athlone to B/sloe scheme OR the B/sloe to Galway scheme?

Athlone to Ballinasloe, starting at the new overbridge on the N6 at Thomastown and following it west to near Ballinasloe.

The other scheme has a long way to go to reach that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Athlone to Ballinasloe, starting at the new overbridge on the N6 at Thomastown and following it west to near Ballinasloe.

It looks like it could open by August or September.

Aye. They're working near 24hr shifts on the Eastern interchange, rab's and link road to the N6. The Shannonbridge rd is closed tonight to allow works on the rab there. I don't see what the big rush is for really. It won't be needed for a few months at least and it's nearly complete as it is.

Just to clarify, they can hardly close the road altogether. One still needs to access the Daneshill area. How else could Aidan Beatties and co do their tow-truck work (and ~500 people get to and from their homes :D)

So i guess it will just become a cul de sac (local acces only etc)

Yes, it's just the crappy section between the bridge and Elan that's being closed while the roundabout is built.

Edit: work has started on opening the central reservation for the crossover.
    edit2: cones for the work to open the central reservation have been placed but the work has not started! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Coming in late on this one fellas, so forgive me if this has been asked before:

Is there going to be a new turn-off for Portumna, or do you have to go through Ballinasloe? I presume this road is going through Moher or Poolboy? the Portumna-B'sloe road is woedious. but I'd be more inclined to take it heading east if there was a motorway connecting B'sloe, than go via Birr on to Kilbeggan......

Coming in late on this one fellas, so forgive me if this has been asked before:

Is there going to be a new turn-off for Portumna, or do you have to go through Ballinasloe? I presume this road is going through Moher or Poolboy? the Portumna-B'sloe road is woedious. but I'd be more inclined to take it heading east if there was a motorway connecting B'sloe, than go via Birr on to Kilbeggan......
    This thread is about the Athlone to East Ballinasloe scheme so you'll still have to go through the town for Portumna even when this scheme is open.
    East Ballinasloe to Galway is going through both Moher & Poolboy.
    The existing Ballinasloe/Portumna road will be permanently closed at Moher where the M6 crosses it and a footbridge put in place for pedestrians. There will be an exit off the Western interchange at Mackney to the existing Portumna road. This is only a couple of 100 meters long though and then you're back onto the existing Portumna road.

Thread on the East Ballinasloe/Galway scheme is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420133

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

kaizersoze wrote: »
    This thread is about the Athlone to East Ballinasloe scheme so you'll still have to go through the town for Portumna even when this scheme is open.
    East Ballinasloe to Galway is going through both Moher & Poolboy.
    The existing Ballinasloe/Portumna road will be permanently closed at Moher where the M6 crosses it and a footbridge put in place for pedestrians. There will be an exit off the Western interchange at Mackney to the existing Portumna road. This is only a couple of 100 meters long though and then you're back onto the existing Portumna road.

Thread on the East Ballinasloe/Galway scheme is here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055420133

Sound.

I would love to know what they are up to on the main bridge in athlone, it was down to one lane for the last two weeks, back to two lanes on monday, and now back to one lane since.
    I know they are replacing the seal between the bridge and the motorway, seen a few lads messing about in hi-vis vest and a big truck that said sealants on the side of it but as Ronan Keating would says C'mon !!

It cant take 3 weeks to put a bit of rubber strip in a road, or am i wrong?

billbond4 wrote: »
    I would love to know what they are up to on the main bridge in athlone, it was down to one lane for the last two weeks, back to two lanes on monday, and now back to one lane since.
    I know they are replacing the seal between the bridge and the motorway, seen a few lads messing about in hi-vis vest and a big truck that said sealants on the side of it but as Ronan Keating would says C'mon !!

It cant take 3 weeks to put a bit of rubber strip in a road, or am i wrong?
    Maybe that stuff is temperature sensitive and cant be applied in cold conditions, more likely there's only one contractor who can do the job and he was busy on a new motorway somewhere.

Maybe, but they closed lanes two years ago for the same fault, you think they would "plan" to replace it every few years.

Just seen on aa website
    "These restrictions are in place until this Saturday (4th April) due to roadworks. Caution is advised on approach."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 highway-man

the two fast lanes have been closed due to works that needed to be done in the central reservation for foundations for over head sign gantrys that will be starting soon and removal of the old concrete central barrier , communications and various other works, most of these havent started yet beut outer survey work has to be done in the mean time

The RAB just beyond Dolans outside Ballinasloe is finished and it's even been given a name. The Beagh Roundabout as is declared on signs that despite the fact the road is a good few km's past the border, bear the Galway County Crest.

The RAB just beyond Dolans outside Ballinasloe is finished and it's even been given a name. The Beagh Roundabout as is declared on signs that despite the fact the road is a good few km's past the border, bear the Galway County Crest.

Galway's expanding so! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bear the Galway County Crest.

LOL at all the bad toupees hopping up and down in fury at the next Ros Co Co meet !

Advertisement