Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What BB provider would you recommend for a OAP?

Options
  • 11-08-2008 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

My mum-in-law got a new laptop (don't ask me why - it's a long story - and I fully expect to see her using her laptop on and off - mostly off), and now she wants broadband, but which one?
    The easiest thing for her would be to send her down the Eircom route - an all in one package, but I reckon she isn't going to be using it that often. So rather than go don that route what do you reckon would be the best deal for a OAP who isn't going to be using the BB that often (a couple of hours a week) and at a reasonable monthly cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kevcon1974

where does you mum in law live, have you checked her line to see if BB is available on it. I currently have IBB and i find them brilliant despite having a cap on the BB packages now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

A friend got IBB and complained that it was worse than dialup. Digiweb / Clearwire also seem to be poor - although this may depend on location.

If she's only going to use it part-time and she's already got the laptop have you looked at 3G from Vodafone or O2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Thanks for the quick replys and all.
    Haven't thought of 3G with either O2 or Vodafone, but they couldn't be as cheap as the landline or wireless based IBB?

And my parents in-law are in a location that has access to all IBB services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

The current offers from O2 & Three are €19 per month for mobile broadband. As she's not a heavy user either of these options may be suited to her. If your mum-in-law is likely to travel with her laptop then the 3G option may be worth checking out, as it should give her the most convenient option.

Three also have a pay as you go option.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Does she already have any bundbled phone packages with the likes of UTV, Perlico or TalkTalk?

• Advertisement

nohopengn wrote: »
    The current offers from O2 & Three are €19 per month for mobile broadband. As she's not a heavy user either of these options may be suited to her. If your mum-in-law is likely to travel with her laptop then the 3G option may be worth checking out, as it should give her the most convenient option.

Three also have a pay as you go option.

I just checked out O2 - that looks like a good deal.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Does she already have any bundbled phone packages with the likes of UTV, Perlico or TalkTalk?
    The MIL is a broadband virgin, and they've bought all there is from Eircom - Phonewatch, that answering service and the like, so I'm reluctant to steer them down the road of getting them on one of those bundles (I'm on one of the BB & TalkTime bundles for €60 a month - I'm suppose to get up to 2Mb but I'm only getting 1Mb at best which I'm regretting now buying in the first place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kevcon1974

dont go to TalkTalk and there Broadband wont work with Monitored Alarms, and if you dont pay your bill ontime they will cut you off to incoming calls only and charge a late payment fee of 5euro. Crap Customer service as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My oul dear has BT 1Mbit and Total Talk.

She has her line rental paid for her as a pensioner, Digiweb also give credit for that .

She pays about €30 a month for all her landline calls 24/7 ( not exceeding 59 minutes per call) including family in England and a few mobile calls on occasion and 1mbit BB and 5c min to the US at all times where she has some cousins. Its ideal for Ireland UK and US calls.

It varies very very little in cost , a tad under €30 here and a tad over €30 there . Fault repairs the usual eircom 5 days when they occur but that's not BTs fault .

I thoroughly recommend it although the first bill will be utterly incomprehensible but that was 3 years back ....not a problem since .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Real broadband. Not 3G Mobile. Something she can plug in and forget that has it's own firewall. And switch off /disable file/printer sharing and Microsoft Client in Network properties. Only leave TCP/IP. That kills about 99% of non-social exploits. Tell her NEVER open attachments. Ever.

My Mum won't let anyone touch her sky remote incase she can't work it after. Won't go within 3ft of a computer. My Dad has Cable he says from NTL but I guess it's Virgin as it's UK. He complained that all his email vanished, but someone had logged on creating a new password less user. Once he logged back in as himeself his email of course re-appeared.

It may depend more on what is available than what is available. I don't think many people would regard Clearwire and Digiweb as similar. My daughter had Digiweb metro but could only get UPC/Chorus when she moved. One of my friends could get NOTHING till DSL came to him. He had ISDN, so no evil pair gain problem. 3G Mobile would be bad where he lives as you can hardly do a voice call on any network, on GSM or 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    My oul dear has BT 1Mbit and Total Talk.

She has her line rental paid for her as a pensioner, Digiweb also give credit for that .

She pays about €30 a month for all her landline calls 24/7 ( not exceeding 59 minutes per call) including family in England and a few mobile calls on occasion and 1mbit BB and 5c min to the US at all times where she has some cousins. Its ideal for Ireland UK and US calls.

It varies very very little in cost , a tad under €30 here and a tad over €30 there . Fault repairs the usual eircom 5 days when they occur but that's not BTs fault .

I thoroughly recommend it although the first bill will be utterly incomprehensible but that was 3 years back ....not a problem since .

We moved house a few weeks back, and are in a similar situation, ie, will not be paying line rental. Was just having a look at the BT site this morning, and they are offering 3mbit BB and Ire/UK anytime calls for €55.95pm.
    Minus line rental, it will work out at €30.04pm. Pretty good.

Advertisement