Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic Car, different licence to Manual?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Saruman wrote: »
    Im truly shocked though that any competent driver could ever get confused and hit the brake thinking there is an clutch there... it boggles my mind.

+1 Who in God's name uses their left foot to brake???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Honey-ec wrote: »

In real world driving, I doubt many people do, but advanced drivers sometimes do it so they can keep their right foot on the gas keeping the revs up.
    Saruman wrote:
    It takes the same length of time, maybe even less since there is less to do... to take an auto out of park and move it in to drive.

I generally put my car in park if I will be stopped for more than 15 seconds or so, or if it's not too bright out and I am conscious of the person behind me getting brake lights in their face too long. I imagine that the reverse lights don't engage when I put it down in to drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

when is the last time you had to accelerate into a (busy ?) junction to avoid an emergency ?
    I've seen that advice in some states when renting cars. It's to prevent car-jacking - always be ready to move and never stop so close to the car in front that you can't drive off if approached.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

eoin_s wrote: »
    I imagine that the reverse lights don't engage when I put it down in to drive.
    They do on a lot of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Im truly shocked though that any competent driver could ever get confused and hit the brake thinking there is an clutch there... it boggles my mind.

Because to a competent driver the pure mechanics of driving (operating the pedals and switches) come automatically, without thinking, almost subconsciously.

A competent driver has learnt to shift his/her focus from the operation of the car to the reading of the traffic.

If such a competent driver, after years of subconsciously operating a manual suddenly switches to an atomatic, he/she has to go back a step and start thinking about the operation again ...i.e. remember to leave the left foot resting on the floor and that there is no clutch to press.

It is a very easy thing to forget and an easy mistake to make ...especially and particularly for someone who has been driving manuals (competently) for years.

A competent driver however should only make that mistake once, if at all.

• Advertisement

SteveC wrote: »
    They do on a lot of cars.

Really? That must be a bit confusing for the person right behind them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Well I do sometimes if I get too much understeer,

left-foot braking it is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

peasant wrote: »
    It is a very easy thing to forget and an easy mistake to make ...especially and particularly for someone who has been driving manuals (competently) for years.
    I suppose i can only go on my own experience. I have been driving Manuals for over 10 years. I changed to an auto last year and never once made the mistake of thinking there was a clutch there so never had any odd breaking moments.

About the only thing i did was drive to the wrong side of the pump because the previous cars fuel door was on the passenger side and this car was on the drivers side :D

Really? That must be a bit confusing for the person right behind them!
    It scared the crap out of me the first I saw it (long time ago), I thought the guy was going to reverse into me. There may be a delay built in to more modern cars so it needs to be in R for >1s or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

itarumaa wrote: »
    Well I do sometimes if I get too much understeer,

left-foot braking it is called.

Well, as eoin_s said, in "real world" driving, the vast majority of people wouldn't, so I don't see how they would suddenly start just because they're in a automatic.

In fairness, most people probably don't even know what under and oversteer are, let alone how to correct them*

*in my experience, most people's reaction to anything at all unexpected while driving is "slam on the brakes"

• Advertisement

I suppose i can only go on my own experience. I have been driving Manuals for over 10 years. I changed to an auto last year and never once made the mistake of thinking there was a clutch there so never had any odd breaking moments.

About the only thing i did was drive to the wrong side of the pump because the previous cars fuel door was on the passenger side and this car was on the drivers side :D

Well ...there was a time when I owned an automatic as a daily driver, having driven manuals for the previous 15 years.

It happened to me once, having come back from a business trip where I drove a LHD manual, got off the plane, into my RHD automatic and came to a screeching, head bumping halt at the long term car park pay station, having planted my left foot firmly on the brake.
    Took a deep breath, had a good laugh at myself and it never happened again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

peasant wrote: »
    Well ...there was a time when I owned an automatic as a daily driver, having driven manuals for the previous 15 years.

It happened to me once, having come back from a business trip where I drove a LHD manual, got off the plane, into my RHD automatic and came to a screeching, head bumping halt at the long term car park pay station, having planted my left foot firmly on the brake.
    Took a deep breath, had a good laugh at myself and it never happened again

Similar thing happened to me. Was bringing an Auto Jag for a run, back in the car park all going well, just rolling around a corner to park it, some woman started reversing towards me. I immediately thought she didn't see me and went to stop out of reaction, and just went to brake and clutch. Because the brake pedal is much wider in some automatics, the left foot caught the edge of it and nailed it! Only doing about 4mph, but jerked to a halt!
    It only happened me as a reaction to something happening, not in general driving. Only happened once though! Driven plenty of auto's since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never had the problem described, to be honest, but I have had the opposite happen, i.e. coming back from the States where I drove an auto and getting into my manual car in the airport car park and screaming off in first gear wondering why it was making so much noise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The problem with those new to driving automatics hitting the brake is due to the fact that they instinctively expect to hit a pedal with their left foot when braking. The pedal they expect is the clutch.

In addition the brake pedal in an automatic is much larger, so most who makes this mistake actually catch the LHS of brake pedal.

Left foot braking is used by rally drivers, kart drivers, etc. There are benefits in reaction times. If you drove an automatic full time then it might make sense to adopt the practice? What do people think?

Left foot braking is used by rally drivers, kart drivers, etc. There are benefits in reaction times. If you drove an automatic full time then it might make sense to adopt the practice? What do people think?

That would sort of defeat the purpose of having an auto. If you really wanted to go down that route, then I guess you could look at a heel-toe extension for the pedals.

But the chances are you won't be in an auto if you want to maximise your performance - excluding the likes of an SMG gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If someone brakes with their left foot in an automatic because they are used to clutching than that only indicates that they are used to clutching befoer braking. Isn't that a fail on the driving test?

If someone brakes with their left foot in an automatic because they are used to clutching than that only indicates that they are used to clutching befoer braking. Isn't that a fail on the driving test?

What happens is, you touch the brake gently with your right foot and then you stomp on the non-existing clutch and hit the extra-wide brake pedal with full force :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

About 60% of the time when I'm driving an auto I use my left foot for braking, especially if I'm driving in a "spirited" manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It happened me when I was coming to a stop from below 5mph. You don't brake at 5mph and expect the engine to be happy with the result, you also need to clutch almost simultaneously. It's going for the clutch that caused me to slam!
    I learned though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

S.I.R wrote: »
    leaving the car in drive with there foot on the brake.... annoys the hell out of me.
    you cannot put it back into drive unless you press the break pedal. !
    An auto should always be left in drive at lights (with the park brake applied for safety and to avoid annoying the driver behind at night). Taking it out of drive causes unnecessary wear on the transmission and defeats the purpose of having an auto. It's designed to be left in drive.
    Automatic License Holders = ONLY drive automatic... have to sit manual test before can drive manual.
    coolbeans wrote: »
    If you do your test in a manual car you are legally "good to go" in an automatic. However it doesn't work the other way around as those who do their test in an automatic cannot drive manuals.
    They may drive a manual if they have a Learner Permit and are accompanied by a person with an unrestricted licence and who has held it for 2 years.

I have to say, I found it the easiest transition (no pun intended) going from a manual to an auto.
    unkel wrote: »
    Same here. My left foot has never had any inclination to move towards the pedals in an automatic. And I switch from manuals to automatics on a daily basis
    I switch beteewn manual and autos on a very regular basis and never once had to think about it or went for the wrong pedal. It seems to come naturally.

(The only vehicles I've driven which required a lot concentration are "skid steers" as the foot pedals do not control acceleration or braking).
    Many advanced drivers do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I brake with my left foot in autos all the time.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

An auto should always be left in drive at lights (with the park brake applied for safety and to avoid annoying the driver behind at night). Taking it out of drive causes unnecessary wear on the transmission and defeats the purpose of having an auto. It's designed to be left in drive.

+1
    At last, someone who knows how to drive an automatic!!
    Im not sure about the parking brake bit though. With the transmission in D it will still pull forward even with the parking brake on, especially if stopped facing down a hill.
    Here in US nobody puts it P at lights (Or uses emergency brake when stopped)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Never hit the pedal with left foot when driving an auto and whenever I'm in a car with a new auto driver I tell them to curl their left foot up beside the seat to avoid it.

Only time I left foot brake an auto is if at a busy junction waiting to pull out in a turbo diesel, in order to get the turbo spinning to have power to pull into a gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Zube wrote: »
    That's like sitting with the car in first, and the clutch and brake to the floor: one slip of a foot and you'll hit the guy in front.

B*llocks :)
    Its not like letting the clutch slip and the car jerking forward. An automatic crawls forward slowly, if you allow enough distance between you and the car in front of you then you (i.e. can see they back wheels) like your supposed to then you have LOTS of time to re-apply the brakes.

First Automatic I drove was a Mercedes E320 CDI and it was left hand drive, the transition was easy if you remember to firmly superglue your left foot to the floor! The hardest part was working out what all the buttons were for !

I would recommend though, if your driving on the continent and have never driven left hand drive before, get an automatic, IT's FAR easier to swap over, you don't have the extra complication of making gear changes with your right hand.

I must say though, the Mercedes on the Autobahn at 200kp/h is quite compfy .. you just need to make sure you have a fifth of a kilometer to make sure you can stop in the event of an emergency :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Like esel, I too left foot brake automatics all the time, in cars, off-roaders, and industrial machinery.
    Once you've educated your left foot to be as sensitive to the brake padal as your right already is, I think it's the only way to drive autos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Rovi wrote: »
    Like esel, I too left foot brake automatics all the time, in cars, off-roaders, and industrial machinery.
    Once you've educated your left foot to be as sensitive to the brake padal as your right already is, I think it's the only way to drive autos.

Mheh ... you can drive that way indeed, the whole point though is that you don't need to use your left foot in the first place. Great for preventing left foot cramp in a 3 hour traffic queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Rovi wrote: »
    That is so dangerous. If you get used to using your left foot for breaking then when you get back into a manual you are going to end up pressing the clutch thinking it is the break. You should be using your right foot for break and accelerator in the automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That is so dangerous. If you get used to using your left foot for breaking then when you get back into a manual you are going to end up pressing the clutch thinking it is the break. You should be using your right foot for break and accelerator in the automatic.
    My brain must work differently to yours. I've never made that mistake. Using your left foot to brake in an automatic, especially in town, means I can react quicker, and so brake more efficiently. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=15

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

esel wrote: »

LOL, is Honest John taking the p1ss? Automatics are dangerous when controlled by old people or people with spasms, so everyone should left foot brake an automatic? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I have to say, I found it the easiest transition (no pun intended) going from a manual to an auto.

Same here. Drove an auto for the first time last month in the US. I had no issues at all. Left foot was perched nicely on the foot rest and never moved :p

Only thing that took a few minutes to get used to was keeping your foot on the brake at traffic lights etc so it didn't roll forward.

Advertisement