Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new shopping centre beside tkmax

Options
  • 11-08-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

hi all, just heard that all the workers on that new shopping centre/ice rink were told not to come back after their holidays as they have run out of money, any truth in this, are they just going to leave it like a building site now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I don't have any information other than what I saw with my eyes before the builders holidays. The builders used to park across the road in that converted field which is also across from Aldi. Up to a few weeks before the holidays, the car park was packed always and then I noticed that there would be next to no cars in their. This was before the holidays started and I haven't seen any cars in their since.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

was in the centre beside it this afternoon and there was no work going on. It struck me as odd as the gates were wide open, but then again rumours are one thing that Limerick is rife with at the best of times.

It could be something as simple as some site surveys going on, or extra days holdays.

Time will tell either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Isn't August traditionally the month that builders take their holidays? Wouldn't worry about it unduly if there isn't much activity there until the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Parkes are up there with Sisks, I'd imagine they're one of the most financially secure developers in Europe!

+1 on what was said about rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

ninty9er wrote: »
    The Parkes are up there with Sisks, I'd imagine they're one of the most financially secure developers in Europe!

a friend of mine in the trade told me that most of the people that were working there were told not to come back after the builders holidays.. which are well over now so if work has still not started again then i think maybe it might be on the back burner..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Could be more truth in it then first taught???
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=9035&category=Daily-Thu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I swear...if that damn Ice rink doesnt get built... It was the only hope I had for this damn city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

saw a small bit of action on site today. near the fence as i was passing there was a heavy machinery truck workin with what looked like a concrete hose attached. couldnt see any more movement in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

zuroph wrote: »
    saw a small bit of action on site today. near the fence as i was passing there was a heavy machinery truck workin with what looked like a concrete hose attached. couldnt see any more movement in there though.
    Here's to hoping, im after finding out I might be in UL now so id like that place to be built definitley now.

No cork for me , looks like im staying in good old limerick guys.

Im a resident in the area and although another shopping center in the area seems like overkill to me id rather have that than a huge empty construction site with many hazards for kids and potential for scum and the eyesore too:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

zuroph wrote: »

I went past there around 4:15 and saw that as well. Looked like they were pouring concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

again the good old post reporting on pure speculation and rumors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

I was talking to someone last night who has some very high up contacts in Sisk and there are problems getting the main anchor tenant to sign on the dotted line!! Apparently the work has stopped until this gets sorted, and in hte current economic climate that may be a while!!

maggie797 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone last night who has some very high up contacts in Sisk and there are problems getting the main anchor tenant to sign on the dotted line!! Apparently the work has stopped until this gets sorted, and in hte current economic climate that may be a while!!

If anyone had any cop-on at all (which these developers definitely do), they'd realise a recession is the perfect time to build something like this. No wage inflation and a massive shopping centre complete just in time for a boom.

Well if they want it completed in time for a boom they might want to slow down a bit (well not including the last couple weeks), this recession ain't going away any time soon.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Well if they want it completed in time for a boom they might want to slow down a bit (well not including the last couple weeks), this recession ain't going away any time soon.

2011 should do it, that'd give time for fit out etc and all the major chains operate within that cycle too.

Wow I didnt think it was that far off to be honest, don't want to wait another 3 years for a ice rink...

1huge1 wrote: »
    Wow I didnt think it was that far off to be honest, don't want to wait another 3 years for a ice rink...

I'd imagine the guts of the structure etc will be done by mid to late 09, but air con, electrics etc on something that big is a massive job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Oaklands Furniture are going to be moving back to the Dublin Rd. soon I believe in to the new buildings beside Aldi, pictured in the report above.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I look out my back window on those cranes at parkway valley, and only realised, after reading this thread, the cranes are not moving, lol....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Must still be costing the developer a fortune to hire them whether he uses them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

What's the small building in the existing car park in front of TKMaxx for?
    The exterior is finished but there isn't even a floor surface inside.

A restaurant perhaps?

Flyer28 wrote: »
    What's the small building in the existing car park in front of TKMaxx for?
    The exterior is finished but there isn't even a floor surface inside.

A restaurant perhaps?
    Im pretty sure its for that purpose!

Probably a drive thru fast food restaurant or something.

About time too, most customers and employees in that retail park have to walk across to the Parkway Shopping centre if they want something to eat or drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

they could really really do with an ATM in that retail park too..

bazz26 wrote: »
    Probably a drive thru fast food restaurant or something.

About time too, most customers and employees in that retail park have to walk across to the Parkway Shopping centre if they want something to eat or drink.

I'm led to believe that it's an entrance for the underground carpark of the new shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

I'm led to believe that it's an entrance for the underground carpark of the new shopping centre

What leads you to believe that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

Good to hear that the place is full of people working today.
    More bull**** rumours in Limerick. Quelle Suprise.

Well thats very good news

• Advertisement

No way I can see this from looking at the place. Layout is very similar to a drive thru fast food joint.

I heard that burger king are closing their place as part of the Parkway Shopping centre redevelopment. Maybe they are moving over there or possibly TGI Friday's?

TGI Friday's seem to follow around the likes of Curry's, TK-Maxx and PC World into retail parks. I wouldn't mind seeing TGI Friday's in there, beats the junk being served up by Burger King & Co.

Advertisement