Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Georgia vs Ireland venue

• 11-08-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking on SSN that Ireland have requested the WC qualifier against Georgia be moved to a neutral venue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hardly a surprise. I assume it will be played in Ukraine somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Tauren wrote: »
    Breaking on SSN that Ireland have requested the WC qualifier against Georgia be moved to a neutral venue.

I nominate Croke Park as it has been fairly neutral for us any time I've been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

what day is that game scheduled for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what day is that game scheduled for?

6th of September.

Its gonna be played in Georgia....

• Advertisement

Its gonna be played in Georgia....

Atlanta, Georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Doubt it will be given a neutral venue initially, it will just be postponed.

If it was played in a neutral venue all Georgia remaining home games would have to follow suit in that group, resulting in all their home games being played in neutral venues.

Most likely it will be postponed and FIFA will make their decision before the Georgia two home games in October. There are plenty of free international dates later in the campaign when it can be played. Two months is long time in political war torn unrest in this day and age.

God knows there might not even be a Georgia by then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

God knows there might not even be a Georgia by then

In the unlikely but possible event of that happening would that be taken into account in deciding which of the 2nd place teams get through or would it just be tough luck having 2 less games?

This war thing is happening in provinces far from Tbilisi and its gonna be over in 2-3 days and game will be played in Gerogia normally,you will see.Anyway Ireland is just using chance to get something good out of it and make that away match easier asking to be played on neutral ground,i cant blame them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

This war thing is happening in provinces far from Tbilisi
    Aren't the Russian jets flying pretty close to Tbilsi ( <50miles away)? That's not too far away...

Has a qualifier ever been postponed before?

SofaK wrote: »
    Aren't the Russian jets flying pretty close to Tbilsi ( <50miles away)? That's not too far away...

I said what i have and dont believe in every info that spreads around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

they probably want Belfast or London :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In delija's defence, "far away" is a relative term. Personnally though, if foreign fighter jets were within 50 miles of my house while invading, I'd ciount that as bloody close.

Kevin Kilbane almost got hit by a switchblade last time we were out there .... and that was peace-time!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pigman II wrote: »
    I nominate Croke Park as it has been fairly neutral for us any time I've been there.
    Yeah, they should have chose Celtic park. Far more Oirish...

This war thing is happening in provinces far from Tbilisi

eh... Targets near Tbilisi have been bombed by Russia.

Breaking news:Game to be played on neutral pitch in Chechenia,its safer than Georgia said FIFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

An Ireland game against Yugoslavia for one in 1999. NATO was busying murdering civilians in Belgrade through indiscriminate air strikes (one hit the Chinese embassy) so the match was postponed.
    Breaking news:Game to be played on neutral pitch in Chechenia,its safer than Georgia said FIFA

You heard it wrong, it's gonna be on in Moscow. :pac:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    You heard it wrong, it's gonna be on in Moscow. :pac:

georgian players will be watched by russian army?

• Advertisement

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Doubt it will be given a neutral venue initially, it will just be postponed.
    I stand correct!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7570341.stm
    Neutral venue for Republic game

The Republic of Ireland will play their World Cup qualifier against Georgia at a neutral venue due to the security situation in the former Soviet state.

The match was scheduled to be played on 6 September in the capital Tbilisi but the conflict with Russia led the Republic to ask for a change of venue.

Fifa made the decision on Tuesday to hold the game at a neutral venue.

The Georgian Football Federation has until 26 August to nominate a venue for the Group Eight opener.

The FAI wrote to Fifa, Uefa and the Georgian Football Federation to request a change of venue for the game.

"Fifa reached this decision after closely monitoring the situation in Georgia and taking note that Uefa also decided to ask Georgian clubs involved in Uefa competitions to play their matches in neutral countries," said the governing body.

The match will be Giovanni Trapattoni's first competitive match in charge of the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

From irishtimes.com Thursday, 21st August, 2008

Fifa could yet decide to play next month's World Cup qualifier between Georgia and the Republic of Ireland in Tbilisi despite it's ruling earlier this week that the match must be played at a neutral venue.

World football's governing body had ruled the match would be moved due to the ongoing security concerns in the country. Georgia has been involved in a recent conflict with Russia over control of the South Ossetia region.

However, in a statement released today, Fifa indicated that it was continuing to monitor the situation in Georgia and that an alternative venue may not still be required.

"Fifa will assess the very latest situation in the country as of August 26th, 2008 - the deadline given to the Georgian Football Federation (GFF) for them to announce an alternative venue for their qualifying match against the Republic of Ireland,
    scheduled for 6 September 2008," read a statement from Fifa.

"Fifa has asked the GFF to name an alternative venue for this match by August 26th, 2008 in order to be prepared, should the situation in Georgia still require a neutral venue."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RTE are saying that its going ahead in Karlsruhe in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

pithater1 wrote: »
    RTE are saying that its going ahead in Karlsruhe in Germany.

That's a fairly random venue. Good for us though because the further from home we are the worse we tend to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tom65 wrote: »
    That's a fairly random venue. Good for us though because the further from home we are the worse we tend to be.

It's up to the Georgian's to nominate a venue if FIFA won't allow the game to be played in Tblisi.

Chances are this could be as good as, if not better than, a home game as regards the chances of picking up three points.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0826/1219679952521.html

50 euro to 200 euro overnight one way to Baden Baden fro Dublin so obviously people are booking it up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Still nothing on the FAI or FIFA websites. Wish they'd make a decision, doesn't exactly do anything for FIFA's reputation of caring about the fans.

I heard on the radio there that it's gonna be Karlsruhe.

As far as I'm aware the situation is that the Georgian FA have nominated Karlsruhe as a neutral bvenue with the agreement of Karlsuhe FC or whatever they're called. FIFA still think there is a possibility of playing in Tbilisi.

Load of bollocks in my opinion. Here we are, ten days before the match and FIFA re dragging their heels on a venue. I'd be really annoyed if I had forked out on getting to Georgia and didn' know where I stood. At least now, I'm only waiting for onfirmation before booking flights ot Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Decision around 2:30pm apparently. Was about to book flights to Frankfurt and get train up to Karlsruhe, will wait and see...

Decision around 2:30pm apparently. Was about to book flights to Frankfurt and get train up to Karlsruhe, will wait and see...

Cheers for that, saves me from flicking in and out of the websites every few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

How would one obtain tickets if this goes ahead in Karlsruhe, is the FAI allocaiton gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have no idea how Georgia could be even considered. There was a full scale war there two weeks ago FFS. I hate to play the small naton card, but I doubt FIFA would still be leaving the possibility of Tblisi open if it were Spain or England.

Draupnir wrote: »
    How would one obtain tickets if this goes ahead in Karlsruhe, is the FAI allocaiton gone?

I'd imagine it owuld be handy enough. I doubt if any more than a few hundred had planned to go to Tbilisi. If Karlsruhe are a Bundesliga side I'd imagine their stadium holds at least 20,000. Can't see tickets being sa problem as I don't see many Georgians going either.

Collie D wrote: »
    I'd imagine it owuld be handy enough. I doubt if any more than a few hundred had planned to go to Tbilisi. If Karlsruhe are a Bundesliga side I'd imagine their stadium holds at least 20,000. Can't see tickets being sa problem as I don't see many Georgians going either.

their stadium has a capacity of 32,000 according to the oh so reliable wikipedia.

I think it's absolutely nuts that FIFA haven't made a firm decision on this. the Russian parliament a few days ago backed a motion supporting Ossetian independence. if they act on it, it will surely be full scale war.

it's a wonder too the clubs aren't putting pressure on FIFA. surely Liverpool and their insurers wont be too happy at Keane going over to a potential war zone. if it were Spanish or Italian players it surely would have been decided weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Karlsruhe holds 32000, hopefully tickets will be plentiful. Biggest problem right now will be getting them, the FAI wouldn't usually be the quickest at this kinda thing so when will they get them printed and sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

oNLY 19000 seats in Karlsruhe the rest is terracing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just been announced it's being moved on Newstalk.

RTE wrote:
    Georgia v Ireland qualifier moved to Germany
    Wednesday, 27 August 2008 13:28

The Georgian Football Federation have confirmed that their World Cup group eight qualifier against the Republic of Ireland will take place in Karlsruhe, Germany.

FIFA decided that the match, due to take place on 6 September, must be moved from Tbilisi played at a neutral venue due to security concerns in the country.

The GFF have now selected the Bundesliga ground - where striker Alexandre Iashvili plays his club football - as their chosen venue.

FIFA are expected to expected to give their official seal of approval to the Georgian Football Federation later today.

A spokesman explained: 'The Georgian Football Federation have provided us with an alternative venue in case the match has to be moved out of Georgia.

'They were given until yesterday to provide that alternative venue, which is Karlsruhe in Germany.

'Now today, there is a meeting of the board of the organising committee of the FIFA World Cup when they will decide whether the match should be played in Karlsruhe, or in Tbilisi, or wherever.'

The German venue, the 32,306-capacity Wildparkstadion, is the home of Karlsruhe SC.

FIFA ordered the Georgians to nominate an alternative as political unrest continued in their country last week.

seems official. wonder how many seats will be used for the game; will they put temporary seating like we did at Croker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just been announced it's being moved on Newstalk.

Official now?

To think they were holding out on this is insane. ffs the border of one of these disputed new regions on the map looks like the difference between Dublin city centre and Navan :confused:

edit- seems to be official now. Anyone know if it is an afternoon or evening match?

Out of curiosity why did the Georgians choose this venue? Surely moving it to a venue within Ryanairland is like giving us two home games. Why not put it in some dingy intimidating outpost near the homeland?

meh, maybe there are alot of Georgians living in that part of Germany.

• Advertisement

Ok, who do I contact about tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah, thought it would be somewhere like the Ukraine. We definitely need to take full advantage of it being less of an away tie.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that article say they still have to decide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yep, only the alternative, if it is moved, has been confirmed - as far as I can see.

Really missed the boat as far as flights are concerned. Ninety when I first looked, ended up paying nearly double that and still going up. Still nothing official from FIFA but Georgian FA have confirmed it, although I suppose it is FIFA's choice. Either way, it's a nice part of Germany :P

shane86 wrote: »
    Official now?

To think they were holding out on this is insane. ffs the border of one of these disputed new regions on the map looks like the difference between Dublin city centre and Navan :confused:

edit- seems to be official now. Anyone know if it is an afternoon or evening match?

Out of curiosity why did the Georgians choose this venue? Surely moving it to a venue within Ryanairland is like giving us two home games. Why not put it in some dingy intimidating outpost near the homeland?

meh, maybe there are alot of Georgians living in that part of Germany.

Probably hoping for support from the locals seeing as one of the Georgian players plays for Karlsruhe.
    Also, i'd imagine they'd want to make it easier for Irish fans to get to the match as they'll sell more tickets that way and increase their financial intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

suggestions on travel arrangements to get to this? i have very basic german! :p

As pointed out, anywhere within Ryanairland is good news for Ireland, if the rate of price jumps on Ryanair site is anything to go by, could very well be like a home game. Justfel sorry for anyone who has already forked out for a trip to Tbilisi. Had been looking into it myself but price was crazy

ditpoker wrote: »
    suggestions on travel arrangements to get to this? i have very basic german! :p

Fly to Frankfurt Hahn with Ryanair. Bus from airport goes to Karlsruhe or rent a car. Or Ryanair fly direct to Karlsruhe (or knowing them fifty miles from Karlsuhe) but those flights were four hundred return last I checked.

I've PMed you my numbber, Ronan/Raven. Not sure about ticket situation but don't see a problem. Send your number back and if I've two going spare your name is on them. Failing that, find the Irish bar and there would usually be some going there from past experience

• Advertisement
Advertisement