Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wet ipod

Options
  • 11-08-2008 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

i went running in the rain the other day and my ipod must hav gotten wet in my pocket because it wudnt turn on or charge the next day..

is there a way to get it fixed or do u reckon id be able to bring it back,, i havnt had it a year yet

what do tis think??

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

You should put it in a hot press for a couple of hours to dry it out - this might get it working again. If not, if it's still in warranty (check here) you could return it to Apple - although I don't know if they will cover water damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Barty wrote: »
    You should put it in a hot press for a couple of hours to dry it out - this might get it working again. If not, if it's still in warranty (check here) you could return it to Apple - although I don't know if they will cover water damage?

No actually, the best thing to do with ipod or even mobile phones when they get wet is to put it in rice (not cooked chinese rice now!). As the rice absorbs water it should dry it out. Give it a try you have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

DonFred wrote: »
    No actually, the best thing to do with ipod or even mobile phones when they get wet is to put it in rice (not cooked chinese rice now!). As the rice absorbs water it should dry it out. Give it a try you have nothing to lose.

Old wives tale !!! Rice is too slow to absorb moisture. Get some silica crystals and but them and the ipod/phone into a plastic bag/oven bag and put them in the hot press of your house. If it's a phone take the battery, sim card and any memory card out before putting it in the bag.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sloppydrunk

thanks for the help lads sure its worth a try

silica crystals??

ul hav to educate me on that 1

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

thanks for the help lads sure its worth a try

silica crystals??

ul hav to educate me on that 1

not sure where you would buy them but if you have a box that a stereo,toaster or whatever came chance are there will be a little whit sachet(or 2 or more) in the bottom of the box for when the box is in damp areas.have a root through some old boxes at home if you have any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

not sure where you would buy them but if you have a box that a stereo,toaster or whatever came chance are there will be a little whit sachet(or 2 or more) in the bottom of the box for when the box is in damp areas.have a root through some old boxes at home if you have any

Go into any furniture store and ask for some. A lot of couches and so on have huge silica bags stuck inside then during transport. They'd be about the size of a wheatabix ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Try using a bowl of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a little late for this, but don't turn it on or try to charge it until it is completely dry, to avoid *pfizz*, *crackle*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sloppydrunk

hey dudes

cheers for the help, meant to get back to u sooner with the update but here goes,, i never got round to gettin silica crystals i just put my ipod in a sock and into the hotpress like you said. Now from the start the ipod was proper wet cos you could see the water drops behind the screen and there wasnt a bit of life in it even when put on the charger so i didnt have much hope....

anyway to my surprise after 2 weeks in the hotpress i tried chargeing it again and it turned on without a bother,, couldnt believe it myself and its been workin like brand new ever since.........whodathunkit

cheers again lads, goes to show not all myths are false:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

anyway to my surprise after 2 weeks in the hotpress i tried chargeing it again and it turned on without a bother,, couldnt believe it myself and its been workin like brand new ever since.........

It's great that you got it working again :). Bear in mind that there could still be some condensasion on the components which could reduce the overall life of the iPod - if you have any music/files on it that you haven't backed up, you might want to do so ASAP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement