Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exhaust prices.

Options
  • 11-08-2008 4:23pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Car failed the nct today, leaking exhaust, hence high lambda reading. I,m hoping a new exhaust will solve the problem. Mazda 323F 1994. Just been quoted 900+vat from a dealer for a new one, supplied only....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cars probaly now worth that invest ment, but it did pass 100% in all other areas.

So where is the cheapest place to buy a new exhaust in your opinions..
    Thanks

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cheapest would be to get it welded, if that's possible ...depends on where it is leaking

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I would have thought any of the big exhaust centres would have spurious ones for that car.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Peasant,

I was hoping to get a new one, and pop it on. Welding the existing one is not worth the hassle, I would be better re-fabbing a new one from new individual silencers and a new cat, as I have mig welders ect.

Anan1,

Thats an option I could look at, if I cant get one off the shelf.

Thanks

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

OP have you investigated where the old exhaust is leaking? It could save you alot of euro's if it is something more simple. I dont see the point in replacing the whole exhaust if it is just leaking from one spot.

Can you hear the exhaust leaking? Are you sure its not a bad lambda sensor?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Is it the catalatyc converter which is faulty? If that is the case most exhaust centres can fit universal ones for around €350-400

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bring it into Quik Fit or somewhere and let them put it on the ramp and see where the leak is. Could be as simple as a leak in the back box which shouldn't cost any more that 100-150 to replace.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The middle section is leaking with perforations at both ends of the silencer. Pinholes dotted all over the bottom sections of the end plates.The tail end silencer is perforated as well with pin holes at one of the end plates. So both mid and end sections need replacing.

Front down pipe seems ok. As for the cat, the readings from the emissions test were,

Low idle 740 rpm. CO 0.01 vol% above 0.5 fail.
    HC 0ppm. above 0 ppm Fail.

High Idle . 2860 rpm Lambda 1.070 between 0.97-1.03
    CO 0.00 vol% above 0.3 % fail
    HC 11 ppm. above 200 ppm Fail.

So the cat seems to be working OK, as far as I can tell.

Initially I was going to replace the lot, but after getting the dealer quote, I think if the cat and front pipe are good , I,ll replace the mid and tail end, and maybe the lambda sensor.

kadman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK, the leaks will throw all the readings off so it's not easy to tell.

I'd assume the cat is OK and get those bits replaced.
    Doing that + a re-test is still cheaper than replacing the cat.
    Definitely don't go to a main dealer though, spurious is just as good and way cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

kwikfit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

Exact same problem at the moment, couldn't find a person to mig weld, one garage wanted to fibreglass over a hole in the back box... i went to advanced pitstop and got a new back box for €160.

• Advertisement
Advertisement