Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Gallagher lambasts Rooney

• 11-08-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭

Have to say I agree with him,funny guy
    Liam Gallagher has blasted Wayne Rooney for his £5 million wedding, describing the footballer's extravagance as "ridiculous".

The Man United player tied the knot with his childhood sweetheart Coleen McLoughlin at a 17th century palace on the Italian Riviera in June.

Gallagher, who married Nicole Appleton in a basic ceremony earlier this year, admitted that he cannot understand the couple's decision.

In an interview with The Times, he ranted: "You've got this kid who's f****** 19 or whatever the f*** he is, who 20 minutes ago was playing for Everton, having a five million pound wedding! How do you f****** grasp that?

"All right, he earned his f****** money, do what you want, but I couldn't live with meself. That to me is just f****** ridiculous. There's ways of doing it. In fact, what did mine cost? I got married at Marylebone station, er, Marylebone registry office. In and out, no f****** about, it cost £18. Reception over the road, it was nice, we drank champagne, but I've still got a lid on it."

Gallagher also insisted that he would never have considered selling his wedding pictures to a magazine like Wayne and Coleen did.

"It smells funny, it doesn't sit right. I'd have to be well and truly f****** desperate," he explained. "I'd have to be homeless. It's like, haven't you got e-f******-nough, you little ****? I find that hard to f****** take. But that's famous people for yer. When they're not on the f****** telly they want to be in a f****** magazine and when they're not in a magazine they want to be on a f****** bottle of water. It's like, f****** chill the f*** out, you can't do one f****** job right let alone f****** trying to do f****** five, you *****!"

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Well said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He doesn't curse enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

'waysis
    'waysis
    'waysis
    :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

when you're right, you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

fair f*****g play Gallagher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

whilst i have no love for rooney, what does this matter really?

what next, would ye post what rihanna thinks of chelsea's chances this year?
    or if paris hilton thinks keane will do well wiht torres?

who gives a ****e what a singer thinks about what a footballer does with his own money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

event wrote: »
    who gives a ****e what a singer thinks about what a footballer does with his own money?
    Me, actually.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Who's does Liam Gallagher play for? Never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"It smells funny, it doesn't sit right. I'd have to be well and truly f****** desperate," he explained. "I'd have to be homeless. It's like, haven't you got e-f******-nough, you little ****? I find that hard to f****** take. But that's famous people for yer. When they're not on the f****** telly they want to be in a f****** magazine and when they're not in a magazine they want to be on a f****** bottle of water. It's like, f****** chill the f*** out, you can't do one f****** job right let alone f****** trying to do f****** five, you *****!"
    And when you're none of the above, not even famous, and half the people reading this don't know who the **** you are... you moan on the local rag (I'm guessing the Sun or the Star) about someone who actually has money.

Jealous much?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Liam Gallagher is one of the biggest cocks to ever grace the music industry imo.
    Who gives a fvck what he has to say about football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

lordgoat wrote: »
    Who's does Liam Gallagher play for? Never heard of him.

Oasis :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

the_syco wrote: »
    And when you're none of the above, not even famous, and half the people reading this don't know who the **** you are... you moan on the local rag (I'm guessing the Sun or the Star) about someone who actually has money.

Jealous much?:D
    The article clearly said the interview was with The Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I just as soon not be lectured about celebrity by a coke-addled, rock star f*ckwit like LG.

And anyway, ff Rooney was playing for Citeh, he'd kiss his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Who's Liam Gallagher? Some hasbeen from the 90's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Giggs said pretty much the same about the wedding photos thing recently, but meh, nobody loves to hate him so there'll be no comments about what a prick he is.

BTW , I agree with Liam Gallagher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

What has any of this to do with football?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Why does he care? No wonder City are known as "the bitters"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I'm a United fan and he's spot on, same as Cashley's and Beck's wedding's(not to each other), Philip Neville's house, Steven Ireland's car, it's about footballer's lack of regard and respect for money, so therefore it is about football.

patmac wrote: »
    Philip Neville's house, Steven Ireland's car, it's about footballer's lack of regard and respect for money, so therefore it is about football.

What the deal with Nevilles house and Gerrards car? I dotn remember anything.

The only car related story I remember recently was Steven Irelands Pink Range Rover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Stekelly wrote: »
    Giggs said pretty much the same about the wedding photos thing recently, but meh, nobody loves to hate him so there'll be no comments about what a prick he is.

It's about how you get your point across though. I bet Giggs didn't say something like the following, which makes him pretty hard to take seriously:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

and the meh of the day goes to....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I agree with that statememnt. Or any other person who goes crazy with cash on a wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In theory i agree. Some of the extravagance footballers display is a bit disgusting.

I still hate the Gallaghers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Have to say I agree with him,funny guy

I don't, if you have the money then why not?

People in Africa who are poor as fook would look at Liam and think he spent too much on his wedding £18

It all depends on the person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

patmac wrote: »
    I'm a United fan and he's spot on, same as Cashley's and Beck's wedding's(not to each other), Philip Neville's house, Steven Ireland's car, it's about footballer's lack of regard and respect for money, so therefore it is about football.

:rolleyes:

You want them to keep all their money in bank accounts so jealous people don't feel bad about not being as rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I for one want to hear more of Mr Gallagher's opinions on life. Wait. No I don't.. That's why I don't own any of his CDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Smegball wrote: »
    Liam Gallagher is one of the biggest cocks to ever grace anything

FYP. I agree with the point he's trying to make. But you just have to ask yourself which one is more starved of attention? The pro footballer who was offered heaps of cash to allow a magazine to publish photos of his wedding, or the bitter,washed up lead singer of a band who were big AGES ago who feels the need to go ranting in public about said football pro in hope of geting a reaction.......Muppet IMO.

eddiehead wrote: »
    FYP. I agree with the point he's trying to make. But you just have to ask yourself which one is more starved of attention? The pro footballer who was offered heaps of cash to allow a magazine to publish photos of his wedding, or the bitter,washed up lead singer of a band who were big AGES ago who feels the need to go ranting in public about said football pro in hope of geting a reaction.......Muppet IMO.

What about Giggs so?
    (disregardign the above point about the cursing, some people curse some dont, meh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I agree with what he says but why go to a national newspaper. Nobody cares for his opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Abusive posters banned.

Anyone making an abusive post will receive an automatic red card infraction and an accompanying 2 week ban.

Stekelly wrote: »
    What about Giggs so?
    (disregardign the above point about the cursing, some people curse some dont, meh)

LG is always at this kind of rubbish, baiting people into a slagging match. There's a difference between Giggs simply saying Rooneys wedding was OTT and this clown coming out looking for a public fued, he should pi$$ off back to that rock hes been hiding under for the last decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Im sure you lot wuld have turned down the money.

If I was a famous footballer, I would hold out for the biggest offer I could get. Would I donate it to charity? F*ck no I wouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I neither agree or disagree with Gallagher's opinion on the topic, I really couldn't care less what Rooney sees to do with his money. I do however take issue with people like Gallagher coming out with this sort of tripe. Everyone has the right to an opinion, but the intelligent public really don't give a toss what he has to say. I'm sure Gallagher has wasted money on something or other, it isn't any of his business like. The point about how the money would be just wasting in his bank account otherwise is very valid. Let him spend the money on having a nice life. Ok maybe I do have an opinion on this after all. I genuinely thought I was indifferent towards it.

Also, if Rooney played for City, or even Everton you wouldn't see him come out with that kinda thing. Actually any of the other 17 Premier clubs too.

Theres only one reason MisterAnarchy psted this thread too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

bohsman wrote: »
    What has any of this to do with football?

Liam Gallagher's opinions on Rooney dont have anything to do with football, but Rooney having that kind of wedding does,

These days players want to become footballers more for the desire to be rich and famous than for the love of the game. This seems to be especially true of the English lads (not all now), and whether we like it or not is having an impact on the game. Players want the high profile life, the model girlfriend and the stupid cars parked in the Drive.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with this, and maybe I'd do the exact same, but there is something that definitely does not sit right when you see players as good as Rooney on the cover of okay magazine.

I cant imagine any of the greats from years ago doing some of these cringy spreads!

• Advertisement

Are you really questioning, of all people, Wayne Rooney's love of the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Archimedes wrote: »
    Are you really questioning, of all people, Wayne Rooney's love of the game?

Okay, maybe not necessarily Rooney, I just used him as he's the person that's Blasted by Gallaghers quotes. It's more a general question really on the types of players now coming through.

But you cant argue that Rooney doesnt actively persue the trappings of fame. An autobiography at what age? Come on, that's just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

chalad07 wrote: »

These days players want to become footballers more for the desire to be rich and famous than for the love of the game. This seems to be especially true of the English lads (not all now

Have to disagree with you slightly in singling out English lads, imo nationality does not come into, most are in it for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

I have to agree with Gallagher, seeing as he put his point so eloquently, but would he be saying this if Rooney wasnt a United player? Or would he be saying this if there wasn't a new Oasis album coming soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Ye, a real waste. Unlike spending it on drink and drugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I wonder how much of Gallagher's fortune has disappeared up his nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Archimedes wrote: »
    Theres only one reason MisterAnarchy psted this thread too.

What would that be ?
    I though it was funny,frank and refreshing .
    Better than listening to the propaganda and arse licking spouted by so much of the rag culture media .
    It wasnt so much an attack on Rooney but on celebrities in general and their craving for attention by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I doubt Rooney wanted to spend that much on a day out - The wife, oh yes, for the magazine pages, but I reckon Rooney himself would prefer his football to speak, not his wedding

It wasnt so much an attack on Rooney but on celebrities in general and their craving for attention by the media.

How Ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

My opinion is:

LG is doing interview because Oasis have a new album coming out soon, the interviewer asks for his opinion on celebrity life/football/Rooney, and he answers.

I agree with what he had to say though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This thread has already had several people banned, and several more would come so this is locked as its barely even football related.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement