Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding CAO offers

Options
  • 11-08-2008 4:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭

Quick one.

If you get offered your first choice... you cant accept any of your other choices can u ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Tak3n wrote: »
    Quick one.

If you get offered your first choice... you cant accept any of your other choices can u ?

No, the only other one you could accept is if you filled out a diploma course as well and were offered a place on one of them.

You can't accept something you weren't offered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

If you get offered your first level 8 then you won't get another offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

But do you have to accept your fist round offer before the second round being offered? Or how does this work?

Will I be still offered my higher choice, in a second/third round if I had accepted the first round offer?

argh.. confusing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Never, ever, under any circumstances assume you'll get a second round offer. Treat the first round as it were the last. Accept your first round offer. You can accept a course higher on your list of preference in round two(+) if you get offered it, even if you've accepted your first round offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Just so I understand if I for example changed my mind and wanted my second choice not my first but I got offered my first that means I wont get offered my second at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Bajingo wrote: »
    Just so I understand if I for example changed my mind and wanted my second choice not my first but I got offered my first that means I wont get offered my second at all?

That is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

We could do with a 'FAQ' aren't this place, but saying that I won't be in a hurry to do it myself so I don't expect anyone else to!

I'm going to use this thread to ask my question:

How do you go about re-entering the CAO system next year? As in you don't want to resit the Leaving, but you've had a change of heart over courses etc. Personally I'm not in this boat, but a lot of friends are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A CAO FAQ would be a good idea... like, I'd say most questions could be answered by reading the goddamn manual but who wants to do that? Lords knows not I. That said, I might look into it. (If anyone wants to give it a go, I'll sticky the thread and we can cobble it together.)

In the mean time, FAQ on the CAO website. (Not great, but it's something.)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Never, ever, under any circumstances assume you'll get a second round offer. Treat the first round as it were the last. Accept your first round offer. You can accept a course higher on your list of preference in round two(+) if you get offered it, even if you've accepted your first round offer.

Thank you very much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Where is CAOMAN when you need him?

YUUGIB you asked the quest I was going to ask...UCD ECON thanks for answering...that's cleared my head a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Noooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

turgon wrote: »
    Noooooo

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

pathway33 wrote: »
    don't think Noooooo is a constructive answer :D

Especially when in the stlye of Arnold Shcazinagor. Like, who can spell that name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

It's not quite that simple actually.

It depends on what course you want to do.

The CAO offers a facility to colleges/unis who do not fill their courses in Rounds 1 & 2. it's called Available/Vacant Places. The link is:

http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=vpl_enter

However, not all courses will feature on this list so do not assume that yours will!!!

Basically, it depends on what course you now want to do.

If you're stuck and need advice, contact one/all of the following:

Guidance Counsellor
    Irish Times Helpline (number online/in paper)
    College Advisor (where you want to study)

Remember, if you don't get the points you want, it's NOT the end of the world - even if it feels like it. You have lots of options, just take some time to think them through. It WILL be alright and you will get there - sometimes you need to try a different way!
    Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

turgon wrote: »
    Especially when in the stlye of Arnold Shcazinagor. Like, who can spell that name?
    Not many but thats a fairly bad attempt haha

Advertisement