Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new diet has me starving ... please help/encourage

Options
  • 11-08-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    wedding next year feel i need loose some weight and re-align some other weight to a different part of the body, so i started excercising, posting progress in different thread, and eating better.

last 6 days:
    breckie (10ish) i get up around this time every day: bowl of rice krispies coffee both with low fat millk

lunch (between 1-2.30): rivita, thinly spread extra low phillidelphia and smoked salmon x 3 pieces

dinner (between 6-7): chicken breast seasoned and panfried in nut oil with veg (corn carrots greens etc) every second day with 0ne small bag of uncle bens boil in the bag

between lunch and dinner a banana

afetr dinner around 8-9: cup of tea

But i am starving all the time... i would love to have a sandwhich with turnover white bread or some potatoes with dinner....omg the temptation is killing me as i type :o

Anyway how can i quench this hunger or is it just habit that i ahve aquired from eating whenever i felt hungery before i started this diet...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

OK where to start?

First of all your wedding is next year. Relax. Slow weightloss and gradual changes to your eating & exercise habits are more sustainable than drastic alterations that you'll eventually abandon. Also, spot reduction is not possible (as far as I'm aware) & you definitely can't "move" or re-align weight to a different part of your body: that stuff on your butt isn't going to magically move to your chest (maybe I'm misunderstanding you?)

OK I'm just going to go through your diet:

Breakfast
    Rice Krispies are artificial, processed and not a good start for the day. If you look at the box there are a load of ingredients & the second one is sugar. You'd be much better off with some wholemeal toast & an egg. Or even better a bowl of porridge.
    I'm sure the coffee is fine - but don't much about it really.

Where's your snack? It would be better if you could eate 6 small meals a day. This helps regulate your blood sugar levels (which go up every time you eat) & ensure you're not so hungry that you end up over-eating when you finally do get to lunch/dinner. Now you could have some fruit/yoghurt/nuts?

Lunch:
    Smoked salmon is good source of protein and good fats. But you're not getting any fruit or veg in.

Dinner: Yum sounds good. If your aim is weightloss, I'd recommend you limit your carbs at dinner time. Maybe have some extra veg & drop the rice.
    Actually, the ideal would be to limit your carbs to just after you do some exercise, but how much this would help depends on how carb-sensitive you are.

In terms of you being hungry-I'm not surprised-you're not eating a lot! As mentioned, I'd suggest adding a snack at around 11 & adding some nuts to your afternoon snack, to help regulate the carbs in the banana or other fruit. I know what you mean - carbs are sooo satisfying but protein & veg can really fill you up & you can pretty much eat as much veg as you like so fill up your plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do you work during the day? Like for lunch would you have to prepare something the night before or would you be at home around lunch time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It sounds like you're not eating enough tbh... Try some lean protein snacks between meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You need more fat in your diet, and less processed sugary foods. Try eating eggs for breakfast. A mushroom omlette is a great start to the day. Scrambled eggs cook faster than toast. Or porridge with some nuts or seeds is good. Rice krispies will have anyone hungry within a couple of hours.

Ryvita is better than bread, but a handful of nuts or a bag of "Good4U" seeds is better. Smoked salmon is good. Can you add some salad to it? Stuff your philly into celery sticks.

Chicken breast stiryfry is good, but add lots of green veg rather than rice. You'd be better with wild or brown rice, or a sweet potato than boil in the bag. How about an avocado with cottage cheese to start, or as supper? You don't have a lot of protein in your diet, and that's what will keep you full and losing weight.

In a meta-analysis of lots of different diets, the researchers discovered that the one factor which predicted the success of a diet was the amount of protein. The more protein eaten, the more likely the dieter was to lose weight and keep it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

As above. More protein(have a protein shake when hungry between meals), more complex carbs and veg, some healthy fats from nuts/fish etc. Add these things for a week or two and once you keep losing fat maintain diet untill you stop losing fat. Do resistance training too if u arent already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

thanks guys, great and thorough advice. Im gonna start having an omlete for breckie when this box of rice krispies is finished. although i usually have weetabix in the mornings when its winter with hot low fat mik.
    i do bring lunches to work, saves money as well dont you know, so maybe i should stock up on the wholegrain bread as an alternative to rivita.
    How are queches? every now and a again id have have one for lunch? oh yeah and parma ham... love it :0)

regarding excercise i have posted my jogging workout in a seperate forum.
    one more question? what are these protein shakes? i thought they were just for body builders.... and when should you take them?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Hi guys,
    wedding next year feel i need loose some weight and re-align some other weight to a different part of the body, so i started excercising, posting progress in different thread, and eating better.
    I agree pretty much with taconnol.
    breckie (10ish) i get up around this time every day: bowl of rice krispies coffee both with low fat millk
    This is an awful breakfast. You said you'd switch to omelettes but try varying it a little - eggs are great so boiled, poached, omelette, scrambled.
    I have Odlums oat muesli for my breakfast during the week and I add in some spelt or oat puffs to add a little more carb as it's hard to eat a bowl of oats on their own.

You need to eat something between breakfast and lunch - fruit, nuts and seeds, a couple of oatcakes in fact anything at all so you're not letting yourself get ravenous.
    lunch (between 1-2.30): rivita, thinly spread extra low phillidelphia and smoked salmon x 3 pieces
    Salmon is good, not too sure about the philadelphia as I don't eat it myself but I'd put some nice leaves and salad with the smoked salmon. Also don't eat this every day for lunch. Use your imagination and vary it. Lidl do tins of red salmon at a reasonable price, tuna is also good or chicken and add lots of salad. This would be better than ryvita.

I also wouldn't just eat a banana every day as your snack. Try the glenisk natural yoghurts (they're low fat), nuts and seeds, fruit, oatcakes
    dinner (between 6-7): chicken breast seasoned and panfried in nut oil with veg (corn carrots greens etc) every second day with 0ne small bag of uncle bens boil in the bag
    Dinner is good enough except for the boil in bag rice. Ditch that as white rice is the worst thing. If you need carbs have some brown rice, basmati rice, a small handful of wholemeal pasta, a very small baked potato and add lots and lots more veg as the veg will fill you up without the need for carbs. Also, don't just eat chicken every night - have some fish or a small piece of lean steak.
    But i am starving all the time... i would love to have a sandwhich with turnover white bread or some potatoes with dinner....
    I'm really not suprised you're starving because you're not eating enough and the end result will be you sitting down to scoff through a pan of white bread.

Firstly, eat more. You want to start a better eating regime which will last well beyond your wedding so your daily diet has to be reasonable. Listen to your body and don't let yourself get to the point of being starving.

Second, vary your diet. Try to plan in advance what you will eat for lunch and dinner and make sure you're not eating the same thing everyday. Your new diet should also incorporate better nutrition so don't just stick to the same foods day in day out. Buy a recipe book and experiment.

I see you're jogging. That's great and you will see the benefits of jogging after a few months. I've been running since last year and I've really noticed a difference in the last three months. Also, if you're going to increase your distance then make sure you listen to your body and give it enough fuel to repair itself after a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

taconnol wrote: »
    veg can really fill you up & you can pretty much eat as much veg as you like so fill up your plate!
    +1

That's the key IMO. If you're getting hungry on a diet then you're not eating enough veg. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

if you're going to increase your distance then make sure you listen to your body and give it enough fuel to repair itself after a run

i usually do my jogging during the day before dinner. But this will change to after dinner in the comming months, recomendations for post jog food?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

For lunch why not bring a few types of salads (variety is the spice of life, and you feel like you're eating more!) for example, tuna salad, garden salad and carrot and broccolli salad. Even if you have a small bit of each the fact that you're eating three types will make you think your lunch is bigger (well it works for me anyway!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

i usually do my jogging during the day before dinner. But this will change to after dinner in the comming months, recomendations for post jog food?

TBH a 2.5km 20 minute jog does not merit any special nutrition other than some extra water intake.

so maybe i should stock up on the wholegrain bread as an alternative to rivita.
    How are queches? every now and a again id have have one for lunch? oh yeah and parma ham... love it :0)

regarding excercise i have posted my jogging workout in a seperate forum.
    one more question? what are these protein shakes? i thought they were just for body builders.... and when should you take them?

thanks again

Don't rush to eat bread. Even wholegrain bread has an awful lot of calories for very little nutrition. Most breads are around 80-100 cals a slice, while ryvita is around 30. And ryvita has around the same amount of fibre.

Quiches are not great. Pastry in general is bad news, it's just a mixture of flour and fat. If you can do a crustless quiche yourself, then it's fine. Parma ham is good. Try wrapping it round spears of asparagus and baking it for ten minutes.

Protein shakes are not just for bodybuilders. You can use them to replace a dodgy meal so you don't have to eat junk, or after workouts (when your muscles are shattered after a workout they suck up protein). You can also use whey protein powder as an ingredient in things like protein buns or icecream so you can have some treats without blowing your diet.

Blend a scoop of whey with some ice, a cup of water and some frozen strawberries for a wonderful milkshake taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

EileenG wrote: »
    Don't rush to eat bread. Even wholegrain bread has an awful lot of calories for very little nutrition. Most breads are around 80-100 cals a slice, while ryvita is around 30. And ryvita has around the same amount of fibre.

Quiches are not great. Pastry in general is bad news, it's just a mixture of flour and fat. If you can do a crustless quiche yourself, then it's fine. Parma ham is good. Try wrapping it round spears of asparagus and baking it for ten minutes.

Protein shakes are not just for bodybuilders. You can use them to replace a dodgy meal so you don't have to eat junk, or after workouts (when your muscles are shattered after a workout they suck up protein). You can also use whey protein powder as an ingredient in things like protein buns or icecream so you can have some treats without blowing your diet.

Blend a scoop of whey with some ice, a cup of water and some frozen strawberries for a wonderful milkshake taste.

I wouldn't recommend whey protein powder, it's pretty disgusting, just have some sorbet instead! Then again, I'm a vegan so I don't do whey.

Also remember to cut the fat off the parma ham if you have to have it, it's pretty fatty alright.

Beks wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend whey protein powder, it's pretty disgusting, just have some sorbet instead! Then again, I'm a vegan so I don't do whey.

Also remember to cut the fat off the parma ham if you have to have it, it's pretty fatty alright.

Sorbet has no protein at all, it's pure carb. Yes, it's tasty, but nutritionally, you might as well eat pure sugar.

Fat is not bad, you need a certain amount for good health. Just make sure you count it.

Most whey proteins are tasty now. I find the soy proteins pretty disgusting, even the ON strawberry milkshake flavour is hard to take, but the wheys are nearly always nice.

Sorbet has no protein at all, it's pure carb. Yes, it's tasty, but nutritionally, you might as well eat pure sugar.

Fat is not bad, you need a certain amount for good health. Just make sure you count it.

Most whey proteins are tasty now. I find the soy proteins pretty disgusting, even the ON strawberry milkshake flavour is hard to take, but the wheys are nearly always nice.

Ah well no use trying to convince me, I just consider it ethically wrong so that's a reason I won't eat it. I just don't get eating dairy - it's so unnatural. So sorbet it is for me. And whey it isn't! :p

Ah well no use trying to convince me, I just consider it ethically wrong so that's a reason I won't eat it. I just don't get eating dairy - it's so unnatural. So sorbet it is for me. And whey it isn't! :p

I was vegetarian for about 15 years. Then I had a baby, started breastfeeding and wanted meat four times a day.

I was vegetarian for about 15 years. Then I had a baby, started breastfeeding and wanted meat four times a day.

Mad!!

I am actually only vegan for health reasons. I think meat is actually a lot healthier than dairy. I actually gave up dairy a long time before I gave up meat. I have no issues with people eating meat really, it's dairy I find disturbing... we are the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of another species. I just find that really gross!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Mad!!

I am actually only vegan for health reasons. I think meat is actually a lot healthier than dairy. I actually gave up dairy a long time before I gave up meat. I have no issues with people eating meat really, it's dairy I find disturbing... we are the only species on the planet that drinks the milk of another species. I just find that really gross!!!

You find drinking the milk of another species gross but don't find actually eating another species gross? Bit hypocritical? If other species were intelligent enough to milk a cow they would as milk/cream/butter are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Protein shakes are not just for bodybuilders. You can use them to replace a dodgy meal so you don't have to eat junk, or after workouts (when your muscles are shattered after a workout they suck up protein).

Apologies for hijacking this thread but EileenG, can you advise me on whether or not protein shakes would be good for me? I'm currently training for the marathon and at the stage where I'm increasing my mileage. I ran 15 miles on Saturday and my body was absolutely shattered for the rest of the day. I wasn't in pain or anything like that but just exhausted.

Would I benefit from a protein shake after a long run like that?

I find that my appetite after a long run has decreased so before I used to eat like a horse because I was ravenous now I fill up very quickly on a couple of eggs with some bread and a cup of coffee.

Any advice/tips would be helpful.

You find drinking the milk of another species gross but don't find actually eating another species gross? Bit hypocritical? If other species were intelligent enough to milk a cow they would as milk/cream/butter are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I don't think it's hypocritical as I'm not a vegan for the sake of the animals as such, I'm primarily a vegan because I think it is best for your health. Besides, other animals eat other animals... but I don't see them getting out a stool and milking other species! I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence of a species. I don't really regard most humans as being intelligent ;)

In fact... you're not supposed to even feed cats milk from cows as it's extremely bad for them. They are lactose intolerant and a glass of milk is the equivalent of us eating 4.5 hamburgers for them!

• Advertisement

I don't think it's hypocritical as I'm not a vegan for the sake of the animals as such, I'm primarily a vegan because I think it is best for your health.

That's funny because eating meat seems to have stood us in good stead for the last few thousand years..If anything, vegans are the ones who have to artifically supplement their diets.

Plus earlier you talked about things being unethical - now it looks like you're contradicting yourself. I understand the ethical argument against eating meat but there are no scientific grounds for bein vegan for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I ran 15 miles on Saturday and my body was absolutely shattered for the rest of the day. I wasn't in pain or anything like that but just exhausted.

That's a long run. I'd expect to be tired for the rest of the day after that. How long did it take you? The longest I've ever run is 15K and I was absolutely _ruined_ for the rest of the day.

I wont advise on PWO shakes for distance running because I don't know enough about it. I use PWO shakes myself, but I have different goals. The recommended PWO shake is 0.4g protein per KG body weight and 0.8g of simple carbs per KG body weight (dextrose seems to be the preferred simple carb).

The goal of the PWO shake is to stop muscle breakdown and help repair (and so shorten recovery time).

Apologies for hijacking this thread but EileenG, can you advise me on whether or not protein shakes would be good for me? I'm currently training for the marathon and at the stage where I'm increasing my mileage. I ran 15 miles on Saturday and my body was absolutely shattered for the rest of the day. I wasn't in pain or anything like that but just exhausted.

Almost certainly. In your case, I'd suggest mixing it with some skim milk and maybe a little glucose as well, so you get a decent amount of carbs as well as the protein.

Advertisement