Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eaten plastic bag

Options
  • 11-08-2008 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

On a recent trip to Philippines, we met a real friendly dog at a bus station.
    He was obviously malnourished, so I bought him a chicken dinner in a local restaurant - take out.
    It was given to me in a small plastic bag.
    I brought it out and emptied the contents to the dog, which is devoured almost in an instant.
    He then went for the bag, which was in my hand. I let him at it thinking he would lick the remaining food from it. But instead he devoured it too, before I could pull it back off him.
    I've heard any dog that eats a plastic bag is destined to die.
    Can anyone confirm this ?
    I feel real sad about this as he was such a nice dog :(

Thanks,
    HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I'm not sure anything I have to say would make you feel better, but it's probably eaten many bags just to get the scrapping of food of it, I'm not 100% sure of how animals are treated there but I know the neighbouring Islands are full of fur farms for cats and dogs, but like every were you have some that care for them and some that don't I would think swallowing a large bag would rap round his insides and cause problems on the other hand if he passes away from it it will be a far better death than he'd get on a fur farm, there alive for hours during their ordeal and skinned alive so you may of saved him from that at least.

Hopefully he is OK and don't feel guilty as you didn't know he was going to do that and I'd say it's probably not the first nor the last

Was there any rescue centres around ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Caroline B

One of my guys ate a poo bag. I didn't know until I discovered it, in her waste. Don't worry too much about him, I'm sure he is used to eating far worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Thanks for the replies guys.. At least there is some hope..
    Was there any rescue centres around ?

No, people there only concerned about their own basic needs,
    so animals very neglected.
    I know China is bad for skinning dogs, but not sure about Philippines.
    However in Bali we interestingly observed a volunteer mobile animal hospital on the beach, rounding up some of the many stray dogs and neutering them.
    One of them woke up in the middle of the operation which wasn't a nice sight,
    but was quickly sedated again.

Advertisement