Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MONEY!!

Options
  • 11-08-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

68,112 students sat the Leaving Cert. this year

It costs 101 or around that, to do the LC and every student paid that this year to the SEC.

This means SEC have an annual income of 6,879,312

Bit of paper, pay examiners and bit of correcting money..

Where does the other 4 million euros go???????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Are you ****ing kidding? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Snickit

Probably pays everyones wages there too... along with other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I did supervision for the LC

I got paid €114 per day, i was supervising some guy who was sitting his LC in a room by himself
    I worked 3 days in all for about 8 hours

So i got €342 for 8 hours work :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's a bit of a futile question when you know very little about how the SEC runs itself, and of its various costs, really. They probably have fancy teaparties while we're slaving away in the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well they have to pay:

Supervisors
    Attendants
    Examiners

This alone will cost a fortune.

Then there's the cost of exam papers and answer booklets, as well a printing costs.

And then there's the online service for checking results.

So yeah I'd say it does all add up.

• Advertisement

It's 263 yoyos for repeats.. That's even MOREEEEEEEEEEE.

Larp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I didnt have to pay, Government payed for me :D (medical card).

Late payers had to pay double, but I wouldnt say there was too many of them. Over all Id say there is very little left over after the 7 million.

Paying the supervisors and attendants alone woould cost about 2 million id imagne.

Then if you look at the cost of correcting:
    68,112 students each sitting on average 7 subjects= 476,784 papers to be corrected.

Lets say a corrector gets 10 euro for each paper corrected, thats 4,767,840 euro

There goes your 7 million. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tenner for each paper?You mad yoke!

Well first I though about 30 euro (considering it would take about about an hour or two to correct each one). Some of them have to be double checked as well now that I think of it.

476,784 x 30euro = over 14 million :pac: that cant be right!!

Don't they get like... a euro a paper?

• Advertisement

Really? One euro? That doesnt sould like very much seen as it takes us 3 hours to complete. I dont have a clue really just guessing. I also forgot about Irish English and maths having two papers :D that adds another 150,000 papers or so!!!

It takes them a couple of minutes to read, though. I can't remember the exact figure, but I recall my teachers ranting about how ridiculously little the correctors get paid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Let's say there are about 750 second-level schools, most with at least two centres in them, some with up to fifteen centres (students with reasonable accommodations) and each centre requires a supervisor for each day that candidates are sitting exams, plus all the additional costs of attendants, postage, security measures etc. and that's just the expenses in the centres.

Double it to allow for JC and LC.

Registered post for all exam scripts from schools to Athlone, travel and subsistence costs of all correctors for all subjects at all levels from every part of the country to Athlone for conferences. All registered postage costs of scripts back and forward to advising examiners in every subject.

Plus the fees paid to the people who set questions, the printing costs, the HUGE levels of overtime in Athlone during the exams (it's a 24 hour operation at that time).

I doubt they have much change left over. Last time I corrected it was about a fiver a paper, before tax.

**edit Not every candidate pays the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

nerd3000 wrote: »
    68,112 students sat the Leaving Cert. this year

It costs 101 or around that, to do the LC and every student paid that this year to the SEC.

This means SEC have an annual income of 6,879,312

Bit of paper, pay examiners and bit of correcting money..

68,000 applied to the cao i believe, a smaller number took the leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

It was sheer curiosity as to what people would say in starting this thread!haha..
    There are only 30 allowed in an exam centre so therefore 2270 exam centre approx, one supervisor, the most the wages would cost would be a 1000 euro! that's only 227,000!!
    I'd say they make a fortune!! Like if they budget it right over the past 10 years then who knows what they make!
    oh ya it isn't really paper they use for exam papers, it's a recyclable crappy thing so I'd imagine they save big time on that! Likewise, left over writing paper from each year.. and correctors only get about 3 euro after tax per paper!

(2270)(1000) = 2,270,000

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are only 30 allowed in an exam centre so therefore 2270 exam centre approx,

There are many centres that only have one candidate in them. This year there were about 4600 centres. The supervisor gets paid the same as if there were 30.

The SEC do not make money on the exams.

The 'mock' exam companies make money on their exams, but they pay even worse than the SEC and do not have anything like the same postage, security or invigilation costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Costs 50 million to run the LC, no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Do you have a source for that?

Advertisement