Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out solo: general advice, and venues?

Options
  • 11-08-2008 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello to all,
    leaving Dublin in 2 weeks for work-related reasons. Frankly, my social life here hasn't been that sparkling...very few, if any real friends here..the majority are from school and living in the south of the country.
    So, my plan is to go out practically every night for this fortnight, with a view to just having a good time. However, the people I can call up to accompany me are all working...so monday through to weds/thurs, I will be going out on my own.
    Can anyone suggest venues/events in Dublin, where it is easy to get chatting to strangers, good atmosphere and so on....particularly on "off" nights from Monday through to mid-week?
    Any other advice for going out solo?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Certainly the good folk in Dublin forum can.
    Solo? Go to small pubs and hang on to any crowds moving somewhere else (and will let you join)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I have never been to Coppers, but I've heard......things......about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

I have never been to Coppers, but I've heard......things......about it.

yup there are "things" about it, in it, around it and so on. Best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

WELL WELCOME TO THE CLUB
    im my own best friend most nights
    tonight is monday so its either twenty one ( never been there on monday ) and as always the viper room thats good pretty much every night but this new law is killing clubs and pubs.
    check out in dublin for the latest events at venues
    oh what I do is prop up the bar and people will come to you when there ordering a drink just talk its a great way to meet people

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Viper rooms is a terrible kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Whenever I venture out on my own, I don't usually go any further than my local.. Maybe I should!

There's beers on this friday..see BGRH for details.usually a great way to meet folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dress in black and goto Fibbers on Thursday. Once you like metal, you should be able to talk to the people wasy enough. Friendly crowd. Just stay away from the emo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Degsy wrote: »
    Viper rooms is a terrible kip.

In fairness, I've never ever seen a fight in there (or outside it) and the fact that it has a theatre licence is a massive boon.

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote: »
    In fairness, I've never ever seen a fight in there (or outside it) and the fact that it has a theatre licence is a massive boon.

You wont see a fight because there's no room for anybosy to swing punches.
    The way they crowd thousands of people in there after first charging them a tenner is a disgrace.
    Oh yeah and 6.50 a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boralad

Hi in the same boat moved to dublin 2 months ago, work every second weekend have two days off mid week would, like to head out make new friends anyone know any good places on a tues/wed nite to get started. Home_numlock where do you plan on going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Would suggest you take an evening class or something and get to know people. My experience of making "friends" in pubs is you spend the rest of your life trying to liquidate them......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

boralad wrote: »
    Hi in the same boat moved to dublin 2 months ago, work every second weekend have two days off mid week would, like to head out make new friends anyone know any good places on a tues/wed nite to get started. Home_numlock where do you plan on going?
    Dunno your age, but a few places do "student night" on Wednesdays, which attracts the college kids. Maybe worth checking the pubs 'n clubs near the colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

If you're single, why not try speed dating.

Or maybe try a dance class followed by a club, e.g. salsa, swing, tango, etc. - great way to meet other people and have some fun

Advertisement