Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enhancing PopCorn Hour and NMT

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi Vectra,

How are they going for you?

Im looking to get something very soon but Id love to hear what you think about them.

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply
    Was busy watching movies from my Egreat :D

Delighted with it bud.

The only thing I notice to complain about would be intermittent "Jerky picture" {judder}
    Now.
    I have not investigated this too much but i could almost swear that it is my Hard drive caching.
    I am going to try a different one in it soon so will know better after that, as this one is formatted to NTFS I need to format to ext2 i think to use the facilities in full.
    What I will do tonight is put a movie on m8 pen drive and see how that goes
    All in all
    I am 100% over the moon with it.

My reccomendations?
    Go get one.
    You wont regret it. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

vectra wrote: »
    The only thing I notice to complain about would be intermittent "Jerky picture" {judder}
    Now.
    I have not investigated this too much but i could almost swear that it is my Hard drive caching.
    I am going to try a different one in it soon so will know better after that, as this one is formatted to NTFS I need to format to ext2 i think to use the facilities in full.

When you install an internal drive, one of the threee partitions is used as a swap partition. This allows for smoother playback of high bitrate movies.

Glad you like it :D

MT

MediaTank wrote: »
    When you install an internal drive, one of the threee partitions is used as a swap partition. This allows for smoother playback of high bitrate movies.

Glad you like it :D

MT

Aha...!!
    I knew I would make a mess of it :p

:D

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Wolff

Do you need an internal disk then to play back non juddery Mkv files ?

Would you get the judder from an external one all the time because its NTS formatted ?

So would all your Highbit rate files have to be on the interanal disk ?

Came across something similar on the popcorn hour - juddery on external disk
    smooth on internal

The Divx has no problems on either

It helps to have the internal disk for MKV files with high bit rate, reference frames, DTS sound, etc. However, the latest firmware has improved this area greatly so it should not be necessary as Syabas have changed how MKV is streamed with the latest firmware which (theoretically) will fix the issue. If however the MKV is 1080P and encoded above level 4.1 then all bets are off.

It helps to have the internal disk for MKV files with high bit rate, reference frames, DTS sound, etc. However, the latest firmware has improved this area greatly so it should not be necessary as Syabas have changed how MKV is streamed with the latest firmware which (theoretically) will fix the issue. If however the MKV is 1080P and encoded above level 4.1 then all bets are off.

Can you fill us in on the format setup?
    I know the Egrat will do it but it is what partition etc files are placed after?

Also
    What is the latest firmware?
    I know there is some talk RE:
    then I have seen

Confused :confused:

The MKV playback has been completely reworked, and now incorporates the Haali Media Splitter in the latest firmware. Upgrade to it (081008) if available for the eGreat and you should be good to go if the 1080P content ius within specification. This upgarde fixed a lot of issues with very high definition files for me.

See here for details on the specifications: http://networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#MKV_files_on_the_Popcorn_Hour_and_NMT_players.

Installing an internal disk allows you to run the NMT applications and so is worth doing. The box takes care of formatting the disk for you so you don't need to worry. Three partitions are created - data (the biggest) for your media files, a swap partition (to increase performance) and a partition for the NMT apps. This also makes it easier to install one of the many jukebox applications on the box.

The MKV playback has been completely reworked, and now incorporates the Haali Media Splitter in the latest firmware. Upgrade to it (081008) if available for the eGreat and you should be good to go if the 1080P content ius within specification. This upgarde fixed a lot of issues with very high definition files for me.

See here for details on the specifications: http://networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#MKV_files_on_the_Popcorn_Hour_and_NMT_players.

Installing an internal disk allows you to run the NMT applications and so is worth doing. The box takes care of formatting the disk for you so you don't need to worry. Three partitions are created - data (the biggest) for your media files, a swap partition (to increase performance) and a partition for the NMT apps. This also makes it easier to install one of the many jukebox applications on the box.

Great stuff.
    Looks like the latest firmware for me then is the 080818

Will post back after the weekend as I am busy to then :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

vectra wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply
    Was busy watching movies from my Egreat :D

Delighted with it bud.

Now.
    What I will do tonight is put a movie on m8 pen drive and see how that goes
    All in all
    I am 100% over the moon with it.

My reccomendations?
    Go get one.
    You wont regret it. :cool:

Congrats on the purchase vectra.
    I was wondering how much it cost you in total? Were you caught for customs?
    Was it off this site?
    I presume you went for the eg-m31b?

Thanks,
    John

• Advertisement

slemons wrote: »
    Congrats on the purchase vectra.
    I was wondering how much it cost you in total? Were you caught for customs?
    Was it off this site?
    I presume you went for the eg-m31b?

Thanks,
    John

Mo bud.
    I actually bought it from Ebay >> HERE <<
    Actually delivered very fast.
    No customs etc.
    Cost me around €270 I think
    Well spent i say :cool:

Advertisement