Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I measure progress/imporvement

Options
  • 11-08-2008 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. I have a couple of questions regarding how I should measue my progress. In part these questions are due to my increasing envy at the speeds that some of the boards crew are capable of setting on both the climbs and the flat. I have a few questions regarding what are reasonable goals to set and then measuring progress against these goals.

Firstly the details. I am an overweight 35 yr old man (102 kgs and 5'8"). Have commuted for years, but only out on the road since late March.

I have been able in that time to build my avg times on the flat up from 20km/h to 25km/h. However there is no way that I could have done the Tour of Kildare in close to 3hrs. I know that road reasonably well and reckon could do in 4 hrs, but would try to do in 2h45m.

Further more, I cycled up Sally Gap via Enniskerry Waterfall route and home via Blessington today. This is 3rd time in three weeks. I have only improved my time from 21km/h to 22km/h.

What I want to know is:
    What is the biggest impediment to my making progress weight or building up milage to do same trips at faster speed.
    How long did it take people here to improve from a novice on the road to being able to zip up the hills of Wicklow and dash around the plains of Kildare. For example, does it take a few years or do I simply need to lose a lot more weight (or both).
    I really enjoy my time out on the bike as it helps me to 'get away from it all.' However the competitive streak in me demands improvements. How should I set realistic goals for improving my cycling.
    Thanks for reading and apologies for the long windedness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Average speed isnt a good indication of improvement as it does not take some things into account wind/rain/traffic etc

HR is probaly the best indicator of improvement you know you are doing better when you see it get lower

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

1km/h is a big improvement over only three weeks; I'd also reckon you found the third time easier than the first?

Losing weight will make the hills a lot easier/faster, no doubt about that.

To start I would probably focus most on building up the distances and just completing them, and worrying about speed later on.

Bear in mind too that if you are looking to burn fat/lose weight this is done most efficiently at a relatively relaxed pace, probably similar to what you are currently doing on the flat (or indeed very possibly slower.) A heart rate monitor can be a very good guide here.

Then it is just a matter of doing as many km as possible while eating as little as possible; if you keep the spins at an appropriately easy enough pace you may well be able to get your body working off fat stores and wouldn't need to eat on the rides at all. It can be easy to eat too much on a ride and offset the benefits! Be sure to bring food but don't eat it unless you really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭omri

From my experience I would go with cadency and actual speed you're able to keep. For example at the beggining closing to 30kmph on falt was bit harsh as keeping cadency at 100. Now I keep cadency at 100-115 which gives me 32-35kmph on flat. I commute to work every day 15km one way. Ofcourse I don't count in junctions, lights, traffic. As Eagle said get yourself cycling computer and see what values you get cadency/hr. If you feel you can go with cadency around 90-95 on certain gear all way and you feel ok, try to make it bit harder. After some time you will see effects. I noticed that changing cadency makes big difference on HR. If you base your training on your HR this will increase your stamina I'd say. Cadency will make your legs stronger. But I might be wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

If you want to measure your performance progress - the simplest way if to track your time over a set route. As mentioned, environmental conditions will affect your times - so leave enough time between 'tests' to allow for improvement.

If you are looking to gauge fitness progress, heart rate monitoring is best. You should look for a decrease in HR at a given exercise intensity over a set period of time. For example - average heart rate while maintaining a steady speed. A decrease would indicate an improvement in cardiovascular fitness.

Neither method is particularly rigorous, but should give you something worthwhile to work off.

Also, as blorg pointed out, losing weight will have a profound effect on your performance & health.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

ROK_ON, I think you're being a little hard on yourself there. In 4-5 months of road riding you've built your average speed from 20 km/h to 25 km/h, that's very good progress in my book.

Also, I think you'd be suprised just how fast you could have done the Tour of Kildare. You'd have the option in riding for in a group for large parts so you'd be cycling faster without feeling it. Plus, if you're the competitive type, you'd have found a little extra to keep pushing yourself, trying to catch the guy ahead etc. I know if I cycled the route on my own I'd be well down on the time I cycled yesterday.

In terms of improving your times, I think the first thing to look at is your weight. Loosing a few kilos would make it far easier, especially up those hills. For what it's worth, about 15 months ago I was in a similar situation to you. Similar age, similar height, weighed over 13st 10lbs. I hadn't been on a bike in 5 years. Started commuting regularly, about 25-30kms round trip. Did the odd longer spin. Monitored the diet very closely in that time and managed to lose nearly 2 stone so far. I didn't starve myself at any stage, I was just careful what I ate and tracked my weight closely. It's suprising how small changes in diet can have a huge impact on weight loss over a period of months.

Aside from that, it's the obvious recommendation - more cycling! Mix it up - longer slow spins, faster short spins, long slow spins where you put the foot down for a while in the middle, flat spins, hilly spins. Extend your commute if practical, every km counts.

As for monitoring, a heart rate monitor would be good (although I don't use one myself) but if you can shed a few kilos and increase the kms I think you'll "feel" the improvement yourself.

Oh and try entering a group event, you might surprise yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

E@gle. wrote: »
    Average speed isnt a good indication of improvement as it does not take some things into account wind/rain/traffic etc

HR is probaly the best indicator of improvement you know you are doing better when you see it get lower

Or there could be a tail wind.......
    Or it could be cooler.........
    Or they could be going slower.......

Gauging performance improvements:

1) lab testing
    2) a repeated test protocol on a turbo trainer
    3) power based testing

All the rest won't give absolutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

omri - do you really have an average cadence of 90+ per minute? Wow, that sounds mad to me cos I'm at the opposite end of the scale - think for average journeys where I'm averaging 27 km/h I have a cadence of about 60. Different strokes for different folks eh? Please shoot me for the pun.

ROK_ON - I'm no scientist and am very much from the 'just work your ass off and you'll be in good shape' school of thought, but I do think that timing yourself over a given route and then seeking to better it each time out gets results in terms of general weight loss, though blorg is spot on with the advice on limiting food intake.

Don't rely just on cycling if you're trying to lose weight though - circuit training is one of the best forms of getting fit I've experienced. When I was boxing in college I did a lot of circuit training for general fitness and it helped keep the weight in check to. That said, jogging at 130 heartbeates per minute was also effective for weight loss coming up to a weigh-in. That's a combination of high intensity activity for fitness with low intensity for weight-loss. Cycling a route on rolling terrain with several short but fairly steep hills should give you an opportunity to do both, but mix it up with other exercise too.

But I'd be saying don't worry about weight, volume is a more relevant indicator. Getting in shape might involve putting a bit of heavy muscle on to replace fat, so I always ignore the scales nowawdays and just track how good I feel when exercising with what shape I look to be in instead of the narrow view a scales can give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thanks folks. All helpful. I will replace my cheapo computer with one that gives cadence and heartrate instead of just speed time etc.
    Apart from speed/ditance and time my computer doesn't compute any ofthe other stats - rookie error.
    I will try to cut down on what I eat on and off the bike.
    I have a huge appetite, even when on the bike. On todays 102km I consumed 3 bananas, an apple, 1.5 powerbars, 1 cereal bar, a mars bar, 1.5 l of water and 1.5 l of lucozade sport. I guess that apart fom the fluids that this is too much food?
    On the weight issue, have always been bug - partly as a result of playing hooker in rugby - putting weight on is the real issue, not losing it. My weight is disproportionately spread however - have very little body fat on my legs, but a serious amout on my torso. I guess the main improvement I can make is to cut down on the amount that I eat.
    I do find that I am less tired after these cycles. For example I feel relatively fine after todays run, I am hopefully going to do similar distance tomorrow, weather permitting. So I guess that that is progress.
    One question though - for the guys that cycle at a relatively high speed consistently - how long did it take you to get where you are now?

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have a huge appetite, even when on the bike. On todays 102km I consumed 3 bananas, an apple, 1.5 powerbars, 1 cereal bar, a mars bar, 1.5 l of water and 1.5 l of lucozade sport.
    This is what blorg alluded to earlier. You do appear taking to be taking on a lot of calories during the ride. Might be a worthwhile exercise to calculate the calories consumed and compare to the calories you burned on the spin just to see how it balances out. Also, ask yourself are you actually hungry (or getting there) or are you just eating to break the monontony.
    On the weight issue, have always been bug - partly as a result of playing hooker in rugby - putting weight on is the real issue, not losing it. My weight is disproportionately spread however - have very little body fat on my legs, but a serious amout on my torso.

Yeah, that's typical fat distribution for males. The bad news is when you lose weight it'll come off the legs, arms and face first, tends to be harder to shift from the torso, but it will come off eventually.
    I do find that I am less tired after these cycles. For example I feel relatively fine after todays run, I am hopefully going to do similar distance tomorrow, weather permitting. So I guess that that is progress.

Nail on head there. The fact that you're feeling fine now means the cycle didn't take as much out of you and/or your recovery times are improving. That's progress.
    One question though - for the guys that cycle at a relatively high speed consistently - how long did it take you to get where you are now?

Not qualified to answer that, maybe someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

I have a huge appetite, even when on the bike. On todays 102km I consumed 3 bananas, an apple, 1.5 powerbars, 1 cereal bar, a mars bar, 1.5 l of water and 1.5 l of lucozade sport. I guess that apart fom the fluids that this is too much food?
    On the weight issue, have always been bug - partly as a result of playing hooker in rugby - putting weight on is the real issue, not losing it. My weight is disproportionately spread however - have very little body fat on my legs, but a serious amout on my torso.

I could be your twin !

omri - do you really have an average cadence of 90+ per minute? Wow, that sounds mad to me cos I'm at the opposite end of the scale - think for average journeys where I'm averaging 27 km/h I have a cadence of about 60. Different strokes for different folks eh? Please shoot me for the pun.

Yes. I'm keeping it round 100-115 depends on wind/no wind condtitions. Speed goes up to 35kmph. Though if I change gear to keep same speed at lower cadence I got tired pretty quickly. I could go bit faster on smaller gears but would cross my chain and thats soo lame ;) Need to work on overal strength/stamina I suppose.

On the weight issue, have always been bug - partly as a result of playing hooker in rugby - putting weight on is the real issue, not losing it. My weight is disproportionately spread however - have very little body fat on my legs, but a serious amout on my torso. I guess the main improvement I can make is to cut down on the amount that I eat.

Last year I've been fasting for 7.5 days drinking just 2l of water every day. It's bit hard for first 3 days. As you get terrible headaches. But whenever your body switches to taking all "food" from all bad stuff that dwells in our bodies due to bad nutrition habits it gets much easier. Ofcourse only thing you can do then is slow, relaxing walks. But you can truely loose few kilos. Than it takes same amount of days to get back to normal eating but from that point you can easily change your regular diet. Believe me, everything smells and tastes better. Even stuff you don't like :) and it has great effect on your health as well. Your body is clean and almost like new although idea might sound bit crazy. I will do it again, this time full 12 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

omri wrote: »
    Last year I've been fasting for 7.5 days drinking just 2l of water every day. It's bit hard for first 3 days. As you get terrible headaches. But whenever your body switches to taking all "food" from all bad stuff that dwells in our bodies due to bad nutrition habits it gets much easier. Ofcourse only thing you can do then is slow, relaxing walks. But you can truely loose few kilos. Than it takes same amount of days to get back to normal eating but from that point you can easily change your regular diet. Believe me, everything smells and tastes better. Even stuff you don't like :) and it has great effect on your health as well. Your body is clean and almost like new although idea might sound bit crazy. I will do it again, this time full 12 days...

Hang on - are you saying that you ate nothing for 7.5days and only took in 2litres of water each day... and you are considering doing this for 12days?

Did anyone advise you to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭more tea vicar

May be worth ye joining a cycling club and clocking up a few miles, but be prepared for 100 to 150 km runs at the weekends and 10m / 16 km time trials during the week to get you in shape.

I raced for a few clubs when I was younger and when I first started as a rank novice, I could not get much under 30 mins for a 10 miler (16km) but after a year doing 10m time trial (flat course) every wednesday and 70 mile runs every sunday (in the hills) my time soon came down to under 25 minutes over the 10 miles, which works out to about 25 mph or 38 kph average over the 16 km course.

A few keener dudes in our club maybe 3 years older than me at the time, and cycling competitively for maybe ten years, were doing some serious times of 20 to 21 mins for a 10 miler.

Some of the weekend runs of 70 miles and above, in the hills were a good test of overall stamina and some of the 1:4 to 1:6 hills were a good test half way round to see if ye had any fuel in yer tank still.

Many of the long runs in the keener clubs were done at full pelt and paces often averaged 30 mph over a 70 mile run when in a tight pack of 10 or more, heads down, change of lead at the front every ten minutes or so setting the pace, but fairly knackering and took a week to recover for the following weekend.

My heart rate came down to about 45 at rest during the best years of cycling, and for years after the cycle training, hovered at around 50 regardless of not being in tip top shape. HR still below 60 many years later. Not cycled for about 5 years, now and could do to see whether I could even get below the 30 mins for a ten miler now?

MadHatter wrote: »
    Also, ask yourself are you actually hungry (or getting there) or are you just eating to break the monontony.

I dont get hungry on the bike (partly because I eat so much). I do get very thirsty. I do not find the cycling monotonous, I guess I eat that much on a trip outof (1) habit, (2) not knowing how much to eat on a 100k cycle (my typical spin), (3) fear of losing energy.
    thanks for the advice. Next time I will try to bring a lot less food, maybe just restrict it to a few bananas rather than all the bars etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Stick 20 quid in the back pocket, as an option. Easier than filling up with extra bulky food. You can always bring it home. Buy a cup of coffee when and if you fancy a stop. Bananas. etc etc.

Then bring it down the pub that night and buy everyone a drink. (That's probably only in some European countries though). We're still being ripped.

Bananas are actually a pretty overrated source of energy as they can give a fairly quick release of energy, particularly when overripe. This means you get an energy surge followed by a drop and they don't suppress attitude that much. Apples are better but I couldn't digest an apple on a cycle.

Granola bars, the dry honey & oats ones, are a good food to eat on a cycle as the honey gives a bit of quick energy while the rest of it breaks down more slowly for a gradual release.

Likewise, a dietician told me that jelly sweets from Natural Confectionary Company are a great source of slow releasing glucose as they are made from natural ingredients, whereas Jelly Babies just give a quick sugar rush, and I have to say I get good results when popping a few before football or when cycling.

I tend to carry loads of food with me on a cycle cos I'm paranoid about being caught out in the middle of nowhere with no food and am the same with gear (which is why I wear a ridiculously big backpack on all cycles, though I don't notice it and was glad I packed 2 tubes this weekend!). But I've been consciously trying to reduce the amount I eat and focus on drinking plenty to pre-empt dehyrdation. On yesterday's 93km I ate 2 slices of currant cake and one bite of a granola bar but I drank 700ml of Lucozade Sport (I love that stuff, great for hangovers too!) and about 1.5 litres of water (small sips frequently).

Maybe try not to just focus on your times or speed going forward, but set yourself a calorie intake target too and see how you get on...though naturally don't put yourself in too much discomfort - if your body is screaming for food give it some, but make sure it's genuinely needed as opposed to desired first.

Another tip is mints - mint is a natural appetite suppressant and also a stimulant. I pop a mint or 2 on most cycles and it does the trick for me, sugar free ones are best but can be hard to find strong sugar free ones.

@omri - you're a madman with that diet, do you work during it or is productivity too effected? Just confirmed - I average 54rpm. I noticed yesterday my style is slower turns in a bigger gear than most, but didn't notice anybody I'd say was doing 110rpm, you must use some energy, but if it works for you that's all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

For simple perfomance, log details of your cycle using computer, record route tempe, and wind details all these are important for analysis afterward.

For weigt loss, use a HRM. Heatbeat must be over 65% of theoretical maximum to burn fat. Eating sufficient food during this type of endurance training will allow the body to replenish without the body claiming every calorie for fat building, because the bodies natural response to energy demand is to build fat for the next time.

To burn fat effectively do cyclic hill training. Find a short category 1 climb that between 50-100 metres high with a loop of at least 2 miles for recovery. Do the loop 3 to 4 times in an hour to push your heart above 65% and then let it recover during completion of the loop. The heart will burn effectively.

For anyone over 40, you should have a heart check done (800-1000 euros) to make sure your ticker is up to doing over 95% of maximum.

omri, that sounds absolutely crazy. If trying to lose weight you need to do something you can sustain and that is not going to kill you or do you serious damage. You need to look at your diet and make sensible choices. What you are saying there is not sustainable in any way.

I had sustained successful weight loss from mainly watching my diet and excercise which in retrospect was pretty dead on for fat burning. I would eat very little calorie-wise (but enough in volume) and go for long cycles at a gentle pace. Key to this was the eat very little bit- but such that I could sustain the diet for up to a year. Typically this meant watching carefully what I ate and eating lots of stuff that didn't have much calories in it. A fair bit of pasta with tomato-based sauce was consumed. I never ate on the bike (I do now) and only bonked once- basically when I was done with the weight loss and didn't have the fat stores any more. Started eating on the bike at that stage.

I must say that during all of this I did NOT have headaches or any other problems whatsoever. If I felt hungry I would eat something quick sharp, I would just make sure it was something with next to no calories in it. Very quickly got into a routine where I was not in any difficulty, able to cycle up to 700km a week without coming off the diet, and most particularly was able to sustain it day after day, week after week, relatively painlessly. Did allow myself a bit of a pig out once a week but kept it under some control.

• Advertisement

roadmanmad wrote: »
    For simple perfomance, log details of your cycle using computer, record route tempe, and wind details all these are important for analysis afterward.

Good advice there. ROK_ON, you could download Sports Track and use it to manually enter details of your activity to show current patterns and then see how you get on with changes: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ or if you get a device that's compatible (e.g. a Garmin GPS device but there must be cheaper devices that are compatible too), it could import your cycle stats for you and then you could add notes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Just as a rough guide, how much are people eating on spins? Most of my cycling these days is in the hills, with a few 30 or 40k flattish spins during the week. I've been trying to shift a bit of poundage myself, and I'd say I'm close to my optimum weight, but am wary of undereating on a spin because of the dreaded bonk.

My last spin, about 70k loop up the SallyGap from Kilbride/Bohernabreena, I ate 3 fig roll bars, a banana, drank a coke (not my usual choice, but I was stuck :)) and a litre of blackcurrant juice/water/salt potion. I'd happily forgo the food if I thought it wouldn't drain the power from my legs. The rest of the time I mainly eat salads, fish/chicken, pulses. Also eat oatmeal every morning, and usually have a bowl an hour or so before a longish spin. I avoid most stuff with sugar. I've been surprised at how slow the shift has been, as I've been doing more and more kms each week.

30-40km you don't need to eat anything. 70km up to Sally Gap you wouldn't necessarily need to eat either if you were keeping it at a reasonable pace and are trying to lose weight. Most recent time I did that sort of spin on one (maybe two) Nutrigrain bars, 500ml of Lucozade Sport, and water- and that was at a fairly fast pace. This sort of thing really does depend on the person though so you have to find what works for you.

Well J.C. fasted for 40 days and survived ;) But seriously I did some research about it before I decided to do that. Up to 12 days is safe and ok to do it on your own but I wouldn't advise to do it for the first time. Beyond 12 days I think it's around 3 weeks you should consult it with GP and do regular checking every week or so as at that point your body is starting to using your muscles for energy it needs. Ofcourse there are different types of fasting methods. You can go just with water or you can go with juice only. Really depends on what you want to get from it. I'm not sayin it right way to loose weight I don't actually. It's good start if you want to change your nutrition habits and start living healthier. The main reason I did that is because I suffer of some illness. Few years ago I just got sick after food that I've been eating my whole life as milk, creams, deep oil fried food, mayo etc etc, usually it came along tough stomachaches. So I had to change my diet. Wasn't easy. Anyway bad nutrition habits make your body/stomach full of junk. Bad nutrition is when you mix products that shouldn't been eaten at the same time like for example bread and meat (ham etc.). This is because they have different time of digestion. So what happens is in this case, bread is digested faster, sticks to ham that suppose to be digested later, and stays somewhere in your belly or wherever. I'm not sayin it's big amount but enough to build up quite a big waste pile in our bodies. When you fast your body don't get food from outside and starts (after certain time) to use all the junk (bad junk - it's not eating your muscles or organs till certain time round 3rd week or so) to get energy it requires. It usually takes around 3 days of time to switch to internal feeding. And that's the worst part. At least when I did it for the first time. Your body demands food which you don't provide so you get headaches (I felt like my head, eyes, teeth wanted to kill me). It can be really tough but then everything goes away and you feel normal. Ofcourse you are much weaker but you don't feel hungry. Important thing is to drink enough water. Then what I think is hardest part of it is coming out of fasting which should take same amount of time. If you fast 12 days you should take another 12 to get back to normal nutrition so it's advised to split it into few periods and in first period drink juice with water for few days, than pure juice, than juice + eat some nuts etc. I lost few kilos I think around 3. But I've never had problems with my weight. Anyway I'm not a doctor so won't say do it. I felt much better after it. Really refreshed from the inside. Skin gets better. After such a start you want eat healthy food. Also what I've read it is recomended to do it once a year. I'm fan of it will do it again. It's not easy you need to decide to go all way no matter what. You can go to work but as I said you feel weak. It's advised though to stay at home, wear some warm clothes, get hot/cold shower ever few hours and go for two half an hour walks per day.

ROK_ON - I wouldn't leave most of the food at home, just in case you do need it. Better to bring it with you with the intention of bringing it home again. And you might be better off cutting it down gradually over a number of spins, instead of all in one go.

omri - that "diet" is crazy, it can't be good for the body.

Thanks to one and all for the advice. Even Omri with the what I call the pilgrimage diet. Fair play to you. Wont be following it though - like food to much.

Some sensible advice. I guess the key is eat sensible, cycle for a lower sustainable hear beat when under exertion and try to cycle more.

In the mean time I am going to set some goals such as trying to head up sally gap without so many breaks. Y'day took 3 hrs in the saddle to get up from Castleknock, but took 4.25 hrs with breaks. Once again thanks.

Just remember to get some good rest once in a week.

Emmmm no thanks, I've worked hard to put on muscle on my legs, lots of gym work and many many miles, while I want to shift another kilo I want it to be fat not muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Whoah! That actually sounds a bit dangerous.

• Advertisement

unionman wrote: »
    Whoah! That actually sounds a bit dangerous.
    a bit :eek: May lose weight but not sustainable and wouldn't do anything for your fitness.

Advertisement