Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subbing while doing the PGDE?

• 11-08-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Guys.
    As a mature student with a family to support (violins in the distance), I was wondering if anyone could give an indication as to whether paid subbing hours/days are available and likely while you are doing the HDip?

Some ex-teachers I have spoken to reckon theres loads, but with the recent changes to the dip format etc, I'm wondering if anyone who has recently finished the program could give some advice/feedback?

I'd really appreciate any help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I did the hdip last year and I got some subbing, but it was variable. Some weeks I got loads, other weeks maybe just one class and I had a four week period where I got none. So in short, it is available, but I wouldn't depend on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NewbieT

Thanks for the info. Can I just ask how that worked re rates, paymernt etc?

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its totally variable and usually depends on resource hours coming up during the year or also people out sick and of course your subjects. To be honest if you want to be guaranteed of money, get a Sat job etc. Not to be smart but even McDonalds guaranteed hours could be better if you want a safe income.
    Pay rates are on the dept website but again, pay rates can depend on contracted hours, subbing etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NewbieT

Thanks again.
    I work fulltime running a bar, and have done for the last two years while I finished my degree, but I'd love to get out of it. Sounds like the subbing will be a handy extra rather than a replacement, unfortunately. Oh well, only a year to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Don't rely on it. As you said yourself, it's an extra source of income. It's getting so hard for fully qualified teachers with years of experience to get full hours now that not many schools that I'm aware of give that many hours to their Dips. Hopefully you'll get some but really depends on the school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement