Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying a Seat Leon 2.0 FR

Options
  • 11-08-2008 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying s Seat Leon FR, either the diesel 170bhp of the petrol 200bhp, and i was just wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts/opinions on these cars?

I've taken a test drive in a petrol with the dsg box and thought it was a fine car. What's the Tdi 170 bhp like?

I have a 04 A4 Tdi 130 S-Line would the Leon's diesel be much of an improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying s Seat Leon FR, either the diesel 170bhp of the petrol 200bhp, and i was just wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts/opinions on these cars?

I've taken a test drive in a petrol with the dsg box and thought it was a fine car. What's the Tdi 170 bhp like?

I have a 04 A4 Tdi 130 S-Line would the Leon's diesel be much of an improvement?

Your best bet would be to post the same question on vagdrivers.net :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I drove the FR TDI and the FR200bhp petrol. By far the nicer to drive and most fun is the petrol. However it does guzzle the juice if you put the foot down... which you are likely to do since its such great craic to drive!

Alternatively try an older golf gti. Same engine i know.. hwoever the suspension on the FR is very harsh.. much more so than the gti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I drove the FR TDI and the FR200bhp petrol. By far the nicer to drive and most fun is the petrol. However it does guzzle the juice if you put the foot down... which you are likely to do since its such great craic to drive!

Alternatively try an older golf gti. Same engine i know.. hwoever the suspension on the FR is very harsh.. much more so than the gti.

Cheers.

What mpg could i expect in the petrol? 30mpg cruising? 25mpg driving-on?

Have you driven a Tdi 130 a4/golf/passat? If so, is the leon tdi 170 much quieter and quicker?

The reason i wanna change the audi is because they are so common now. I've considered the golf but the same applies, there are too many of them...

I didn't find the leon harsh and it was on 18" alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

very harsh susupension on them.
    are you buying new?? if so the new vw scirocco out on the 1 sept, that where my money would go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

frag4 wrote: »
    very harsh susupension on them.
    are you buying new?? if so the new vw scirocco out on the 1 sept, that where my money would go.

I drove a leon on 18s and i didn't find it harsh at all.

No i've learned not to buy cars new. An ex demo 08 or 07 is what i'm looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just a thougfht but have you concidered the Octavia VRS TDi as an option?
    It is cheaper than the Leon TDi with the same engine:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

www.seatcupra.net is the place to check out for all your Seat questions, you'll get good advise/facts and figures etc. on it from actual drivers.

Its the main Seat forum in the UK and the guys on it know there stuff and very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

vectra wrote: »
    Just a thougfht but have you concidered the Octavia VRS TDi as an option?
    It is cheaper than the Leon TDi with the same engine:cool:

The Octavia vRS diesel just got the new VAG common rail TDi engine, not sure if the Leon has it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Havent been in a Leon FR but the speaking on the suspension in the SEAT sportly models (have a 20VT Ibiza Cupra) ya its bloody harsh. The stock tires on the Ibiza Cupra were dire aswell. Swapped both tires and suspension set-up made the ride much better. But still anything with a big heavy engine in a small car with "sports" suspension is gonna be hard.

I love my car but on Irish roads and me getting older the ride quaility is just getting annoying now. But god I love the way it goes on a good surface....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Octavia vRS diesel just got the new VAG common rail TDi engine, not sure if the Leon has it yet though.

Was talking to a mechanic friend of mine who has well up on his VAG cars and he said stay away from the vRS diesel can not remember the exact reason but he did say the normal octavia diesel engine was better. Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

kayos wrote: »
    Was talking to a mechanic friend of mine who has well up on his VAG cars and he said stay away from the vRS diesel can not remember the exact reason but he did say the normal octavia diesel engine was better. Go figure.

There were issues with the dpf (diesel particle filter) on the vRS octavias, I think it has been cured with a new ecu map and o2 sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    Cheers.

What mpg could i expect in the petrol? 30mpg cruising? 25mpg driving-on?

Have you driven a Tdi 130 a4/golf/passat? If so, is the leon tdi 170 much quieter and quicker?

The reason i wanna change the audi is because they are so common now. I've considered the golf but the same applies, there are too many of them...

I didn't find the leon harsh and it was on 18" alloys.

Ya, driven the 130 in an A4 and Passat. The 2 litre 140 in the Passat is a much better engine, haven't driven the 170 but going by the 140 I'd say the 170 is significantly better, and it'll be in a lighter car. So don't let the engine worry you!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I test drove the Leon 2.0L TDI before buying my A3. I liked it but found it to be noisier than the Audi. This was a combination of road noise and wind noise. It was a great drive with lots of power. It will be far more economical than the petrol and only very slightly less fun to drive. For those reasons if you are buying a Leon I'd go for the diesel.

Advertisement