Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw Thread (12/08/08) SPOILERS

• 11-08-2008 6:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

The main event:
    John Cena & Batista vs. Ted DiBiase & Cody Rhodes for the tag team titles.

This is a strange one surely Cena & Batista cant just beat DiBiase & Rhodes again? I wonder if the Champions will break up & lose the titles with Summerslam on Sunday. It all seems very rushed to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Apparently Batista agrees

Slam:

MONTREAL - Batista doesn't mince words. In conversation Saturday at a personal appearance, he talked candidly, detailing his views about his program and upcoming SummerSlam match with tag champ partner John Cena, his thoughts on being back on the RAW roster, new GM Mike Adamle, and the recent releases of several wrestlers.

The RAW superstar was in downtown Montreal on Saturday, signing autographs and promoting his Nutrabolics dietary supplement product line at the GNC store on St. Catherine Street. While slowly signing autographs for a tremendous queue of fans, SLAM! Wrestling got Batista on the record on a variety of topics, including his move to Monday nights for Raw, after years on Smackdown.

"It's still a difficult transition, you know. Like I said before, I'm leaving a lot of close relationships behind," he said to SLAM! Wrestling when asked about adjusting to being back on Monday nights.

"A lot of the guys weren't there when I was there last, so I almost feel like I'm starting over again. I have to, well, not say earn their respect, because I think they respect me, but I need to earn my place in that locker room to show I am a leader. There's a whole different leadership on RAW there than when I was there before. I was definitely a leader on Smackdown but I believe it's something you have to earn and not just expect it. So I believe I'm getting everybody's trust and they are starting to respect me as a leader in the locker room, and if they're not they'd better," he said with a laugh.

Batista confirmed that he was not entirely happy with the planning behind his current program with Cena. "It's one of those things where, personally I like the long, drawn-out storylines," he said echoing similar comments made back in June to SLAM! Wrestling. "The buildups to big matches where Triple H and I are the perfect example. We had such a buildup for our match. Cena and I being in such a marquee match, I really wish the buildup had been allowed. I think a match like that deserves the fan's emotional investment. It's way too soon. It's just an attraction match and I think it's more valuable than that, I think it's been wasted a little bit. It will still be a hell of a match, I just wish some more emotional investment put into the match. Right now, I feel it's more of an attraction, something that's new and fresh.

"I think people will see that Cena and I are very competitive," he continued. "We came up around the same time, we've kind of been neck and neck. I think it's also hard, it's putting the fans in an awkward situation as they're almost forced to choose between two fan favorites. I think of him being more of a fan favorite, while myself, I lean towards more heelish tendencies. They're so hot and cold with Cena. One minute they're cheering him and the next minute they're booing him. Who knows?" he shrugged.

He is still shocked to be a tag champion and figures it simply makes the match more interesting. "I didn't see that coming in a million years. It just makes the match at SummerSlam more awkward," he said between autographs. "It was awkward to begin with, it just makes it even more awkward." Batista also mentioned that he suggested the Cena program be saved for Wrestlemania, but the idea was apparently nixed.

"I like working with John; I think he's a hell of an entertainer, very intense, more athletic and a lot better of a wrestler than people give him credit for. I think we're going to tear the house down, " he predicted. "He has good chemistry. I think he's one of those guys who can compliment me and I can compliment him as well as open up a brawler style. He's just very good and a lot more entertaining than I am. He'll make up for what I lack and I'll make up for what he lacks. I think the fans are definitely going to want to see it."

Many thought he would be matched up with Kane instead. "Yeah, definitely. These are very odd times right now," he laughed. "It was just an odd transaction with the rosters being switched up. I think it left a lot of people wandering such as myself. I thought it was kind of odd to be going in with Cena after Kane really screwed me out of the World Heavyweight Title. I think there was a little bit of fear that there might not be that public interest in it. But everywhere we went, every non-televised event we worked on, people were definitely into it. Kane is an incredible performer and we definitely have some magic together in the ring."

Not surprisingly, he is not big on current RAW GM Mike Adamle. "My personal opinion -- and it does not reflect on the company at all -- is that I think it sucks. I'm not a big fan of his; I don't think he really brings anything to the table. I think outside he might bring something to the table, you know he's a very intelligent guy. He's got a good background in athletics and commentating. Obviously they see something in him and you can't doubt the powers that be, they usually make pretty good choices. I personally never saw it coming in a million years. I don't think he brings any entertainment value to the table."

He was caught off-guard by the news of the recent releases of several wrestlers. "You hate to see anybody lose their jobs. Shannon Moore is a real hard worker, so is Domino. Nick Patrick left as well? I didn't know that; as far as I know he left a while ago, he had a really bad back. It's just one of those things where they don't have anything for those guys and they leave a lot of guys sitting on the sidelines so they free them up so they can pursue other things. The cool thing about the WWE is that you're always welcome back. He was on such a roll before he left and he got really sick. I think we have yet to see the best of the Big Daddy V character come into its own. For a man of his size, he is incredibly athletic."

When Big Daddy V's performance in the February No Way Out pay-per-view elimination chamber match was pointed out, Batista broke out a huge smile. "Let me tell you, personally that is one match that I am so proud of. For one, I was with Smackdown at the time, and I really believe in my heart we had the better match (in the pay-per-view as opposed to RAW) and I think we had less to work with. They thought our match would be less exciting because we had the bigger men, we had Khali, we had Big Daddy V, guys that they felt would be a handicap. We tore the house down. I think by far we had the better match and I think it's really because we went back to storytelling. I believe wrestling is storytelling. We told an awesome story. We weren't so concerned about the big, high-flying stunts that come along with those kind of matches. I'm very proud of that match and I'm sad to see Big Daddy V go and Shannon. I thought Shannon was a great guy. I wasn‘t as close with Domino, but Shannon I‘ve known for years. He‘s such a good dude and I hate to see him not with us anymore."

Naturally, the topic turned to Khali's title match with Triple H and Batista once again did not mince words about the challenger's progress in the ring. "I think he's gotten worse. I don't think he's progressed at all. I think he's regressed," he said laughing.

"Let's say personally, I really like him. Nothing I will say on record I haven't said to Khali to his face. I don't think he ever deserved the World Heavyweight Championship. I don't think he's very much of an athlete. But I think the company sees something in him, I have to go with their choices. I just don't think he has a place in our business, and I don't think he's very good."

Finally, Batista had some supportive words for actor Freddie Prinze Jr., who was recently hired by the WWE as a writer. "I'm pretty old, so I remember his dad and I remember watching his dad in Chico and the Man. First thing I told him when I met him was that -- 'Man, I'm a fan of your dad's.' It was very odd seeing him walk around backstage, being one of the writers. He's a really good guy. I don't know what he's capable of as far as writing. I imagine he's got to be pretty talented since he got the job in the first place. But it's very odd to see a guy who's really a major superstar walking around backstage, following Vince around like all the other writers. He's a real cool guy and we're happy to have him."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Speaking of people not being happy:
    Lance Cade talks about his first comings on starting his wrestling career….

-In general, I’m a very distant, sometimes anger and bitter individual but I write this blog to all of you in a very upset and frankly pissed off mood.. I’m not going to waste my time telling you all my life story. The people most important to me in life know it and that’s really all that matters. But, I can remember the EXACT day that I knew that I wanted to become a WWE Superstar. February 5, 1988 was the day. I was 6 years old and it was the night Andre the Giant “pinned” Hulk Hogan on Saturday Night’s Main Event to finally end Hogan’s streak. From that day, I never missed one syndicated or live show that the WWE had on television. And, when I was bored on Saturday nights, I would tune into WCW Saturday Night because I couldn’t get enough of Ric Flair’s crazy promos, or watching Sting and Barry Windham (when he was a good guy). But, even being as young as I was, I knew WWE was the better wrestling show and I dreamed of one day being in that ring. Not for the money, not for the fame, but for myself. I have an ego in my own right. There’s only one athlete in this business under the age of 30 who is better than me right now and that’s Randy Orton. (I can’t wait to here the responses I get from that comment!) I’ve been in this business, and getting paid to do it just two weeks after I graduated high school in 1999. One thing that irritates me more than anything is when certain individuals in the media or a former wrestler or some stupid ex wife complain that wrestlers work to hard of a schedule. This isn’t World War II or Vietnam. The WWE or this business in general doesn’t have a draft forcing anyone to do this line of work. I have no college education. And when I started making money in this business and was taken off my parents health insurance policy, i realized that, hey this is something I NEED even if it prevents me from getting something I WANT. Big difference there. This is the greatest line of work someone could possibly be in. I’m thankful everyday that I get to just pass by wrestling bag and look at my boots and know that I get to do this for work! Not to mention the most important thing, my two daughters, a five year old who starts kindergarten in two weeks, and a 7 month old who’s already pulling herself up and standing, get to enjoy a damn good quality of life because of this business. So why am I so upset this weekend? Because I was forearmed in the nose last Saturday night and broke my nose in five different spots and got a few stitches for it. The injury doesn’t bother me. Not being on the road this weekend because of that, irritates me more than anything. Vacation is one thing. And I’ve never asked for one day off in this business. Being forced to stay at home when you want to work flat out sucks. I love being on the road and doing what I do. But, I declined to get it fixed and I will be at Monday Night Raw tomorrow night. Same goes with my dislocated shoulder that happened December 28, 2007. Doctors wanted me to get it fixed. But, I took five weeks off and have been back ever since. I’ll probably get in trouble for saying this but, sometimes the truth hurts. A certain “top guy” had a shoulder injury, much less severe than mine and he took eight months off and took his ball and left. That’s fine… He had no passion for this business. I won’t take time off unless I’m forced to. There…. I got that off my chest. i want to be in that ring every chance I get. On to bigger and better things. Summerslam is just around the corner and my mentor Chris Jericho has great plans for us for the biggest event of the summer. And, I’m sure you all will find out Chris’s plans sooner than later! Until next time….

Lance

Everyone dont get too annoyed he is likely just doing this character and saying this to play up an angle which possibly might start tonight.

Dont forget we will find out what is in Kane's BAG tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

rovert wrote: »
    Dont forget we will find out what is in Kane's BAG tonight.

OH MY GAWD!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

This blockbuster announcement which will be more than likely such an anti-climax, so for that, it gets a :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

maybe there bringing the fake kane back again and its the mask in the bag

• Advertisement

Rey?

Weird.

My guess:

Kane knew he would have to open the bag, so he switched masks backstage.

Either that or WWE will figur eout a way to tie the two of them together and they will have a feud where Kane wants to unmask rey or *gasp* Rey will have to become a really violent heel to fight Kane off and they can continue down that road.

Hopefully next week Kane will bring a bag out with Jericho's tights in them. He looks wrong in trunks :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

but "he's dead"

To quote from Eamonn Dunphy the ending of Raw was a farce.

Adamle was pretty good thpught, he seems to be turning a corner.

The Rey & Kane feud should be epic.

Whatever happened to the Vince McMahon angle....

For anyone who wants it:
    FREE TODAY: August 12 Wrestling Observer Radio~!
    Dave Meltzer and I are back tonight with our bi-weekly FREE edition of Wrestling Observer Radio! We'll talk all the news in wrestling including Raw last night and the SummerSlam PPV, the latest on Killer Kowalski, Brock Lesnar's next opponent and why Mark Coleman fell through, plus tons of mailbag questions. Best of all, it's FREE, so please post the link or file elsewhere and help spread the word about wrestlingobserver.com!
    http://media002.f4wonline.com/free/081108wo.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LZ5by5 wrote: »

This makes so little sense, why did Kane flip out intially asking is he alive or dead? When Rey wrestled Santino on RAW the previous week.

Anyway back to the main evnet how unlikeable were Cena & Batista made to be? Priceless were treated lke they were way below their opponents.

• Advertisement

This makes so little sense, why did Kane flip out intially asking is he alive or dead? When Rey wrestled Santino on RAW the previous week..

The only guess I can make is that he kidnapped Rey and "tortured" him or some dumb crap like that. But that wouldn't make sense either, since Mysterio's family and fellow superstars would notice if he was missing!
    Anyway back to the main evnet how unlikeable were Cena & Batista made to be? Priceless were treated lke they were way below their opponents.

Who knows? I don't even think the main purpose of the match was to have Priceless regain the titles, I think the main purpose was to build up Batista and Cena as two titans who can't get along, not even to retain their tag titles against "lesser" opponents. It's lame.

Who knows? I don't even think the main purpose of the match was to have Priceless regain the titles

Kind of my point in fairness.
    I think the main purpose was to build up Batista and Cena as two titans who can't get along, not even to retain their tag titles against "lesser" opponents. It's lame.

It failed as they came across as petty children than ass kickers with a grudge.

Them rolling around on the floor was laughable too?

Why is Adamle using a laissez faire approach to being a GM when two weeks ago Raw was in chaos?

It failed as they came across as petty children than ass kickers with a grudge.

Them rolling around on the floor was laughable too?

It's idiotic and what's even worse is that they know how to present ass kickers with a grudge. The feud between Cena and JBL just a month ago shows that they know how to present a brawl.

Why is Adamle using a laissez faire approach to being a GM when two weeks ago Raw was in chaos?

Well, someone did (I think it was JR in his blog) bring up that he thought the Raw GM would be taking more of a back seat to things. I think he's doing ok though, he has no bias towards anyone. He's not a face or heel so it's not as if he needs to intervene on someone's behalf. He'll intervene when it's needed.

Did anyone notice that in the opening segment of Raw that Batista and Cena were trying to re enact Hogan and Rock's promo before Wrestlemania only the fans werent having it, at one stage they even stopped for a pop that wasnt there haha

Kane and Mysterio hmmm just before he pulled out the mask myself and Machismo Fan both said Mysterio and for some reason I dont know why, I think its maybe because I had mentioned the diappearance of Rey last night, but hey lets see what happens

EdK wrote: »
    Kane and Mysterio hmmm just before he pulled out the mask myself and Machismo Fan both said Mysterio and for some reason I dont know why, I think its maybe because I had mentioned the diappearance of Rey last night, but hey lets see what happens

Rey is the only guy with a mask and has only recently has come to terms with WWE, in fairness.

Its cos your PSYCHIC!!!!!!
    :eek::eek:

I know I am

But nobody can say they saw that story line coming for once

I know I am

But nobody can say they saw that story line coming for once

For it whatever it is worth it was a completely swerve, if Kane dropped a hint along those lines last week most would have come to that conclusion due to the lack of options.

Again WWE builds up a storyline with clues that dont match the outcome yay!!!

Again WWE builds up a storyline with clues that dont match the outcome yay!!!

While totally forgetting to address the most likely explaination for the angle (Vince McMahon's status.)

But they fooled us :rolleyes:

Good one WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mrpobb

does anyone think the match with Cena and Batista was made to coincide with Orton's return. Orton was promoting SS a few weeks ago and said he'd be there and may cause some trouble. They were planning for Orton to interfere but now he's out again, they will have to change the plan for the match

Such a pity Orton and Kennedy are injured and Mysterio can stay injured the little one trick pony

mrpobb wrote: »
    does anyone think the match with Cena and Batista was made to coincide with Orton's return. Orton was promoting SS a few weeks ago and said he'd be there and may cause some trouble. They were planning for Orton to interfere but now he's out again, they will have to change the plan for the match

Such a pity Orton and Kennedy are injured and Mysterio can stay injured the little one trick pony

I was thinking Orton would interfere causing a non-finish which still leaves WWE with a match for Wrestlemania but now i dont know

as is being considerd in the orton injury thread maybe him getting re-injured is a work by the WWE as that idea has leaked/or just become obvious from Ortons interviews and its just there to throw people off the trail and will still happen at SS, who knows though.

ya i does also sound a bit WWE to say he flew 300 feet and if he wasn't wearing anything other than shorts and a shirt and helmet he would have so many abrassions and probably broken legs. It is a great swerve and no one knows what's going on with WWE creative any more. Stories just dropped and changed and the less sense the better

Weren't the Burchills supposed to be in the match for the Women's and IC titles.

I was thinking Orton would interfere causing a non-finish which still leaves WWE with a match for Wrestlemania but now i dont know

Similar here but I would have pegged Batista turning heel after Summerslam as well.

mrpobb wrote: »
    Weren't the Burchills supposed to be in the match for the Women's and IC titles.

WWE doesnt think they are over enough, Paul particularly.

Similar here but I would have pegged Batista turning heel after Summerslam as well.

wouldent the two go hand in hand with Orton interfering helping is former Evolution partner who he then would team up with.

Orton is going to pull a Cena and recover from a 3 month injury in a week haha either that or he made it all up because he is a cunning heel :D

wouldent the two go hand in hand with Orton interfering helping is former Evolution partner who he then would team up with.

Yes but WWE strings that type of thing out. Up until the Orton broke I thought Orton, Batista & Priceless would all join together as new faction.

• Advertisement

That guy seriously needs a finisher. I understand he's doing the WWE style but he has no moves. The curb stomp looks awful and he uses the neckbreaker in the middle of matches too. I saw this guy in FCW so impressive as a big man. Pity, I missed him play for London Wasps (I love Michael Coles stories)

Ahh the C4 how i miss thee

Ok so if Orton is injured legit, whats WWEs other options?

The no-finish is a definite, but a good swing by creative could be to have it as a double no finish in the idea of priceless interfering and taking both of them out, maybe being led by orton, or under orders from him?

Ok so if Orton is injured legit, whats WWEs other options?

The no-finish is a definite, but a good swing by creative could be to have it as a double no finish in the idea of priceless interfering and taking both of them out, maybe being led by orton, or under orders from him?

Nah, it will be a clean finish. If Orton is really injured he wont be involved until he comes back.

Nah, it will be a clean finish. If Orton is really injured he wont be involved until he comes back.

What grounds are you basing that on?

What grounds are you basing that on?

It is a one off match a la Edge/HHH at GBA. It is a relatively late addition to the card to bolster a weak one. it has no proper storyline going into the match.

• Advertisement

It is a one off match a la Edge/HHH at GBA.

They went together on the Gameboy Advance?!
    :p

Its not the first time, but i have to disagree with you Rov, there is no definitive reason why it can't have a no finish.

They went together on the Gameboy Advance?!
    :p

Its not the first time, but i have to disagree with you Rov, there is no definitive reason why it can't have a no finish.

There is no definitive reason for in your words "The no-finish is a definite" either. But I did have a more grounded reason why in my opinion it will be a clean finish. By the way you have actual posted a reason for your opinion outside of fantasy booking.

There is no definitive reason for in your words "The no-finish is a definite" either. But I did have a more grounded reason why in my opinion it will be a clean finish. By the way you have actual posted a reason for your opinion outside of fantasy booking.

Ok i'll admit that my choice of words were wrong.

But the No finish will be an obvious way into a stronger build up for a match in the future between the two?

But the No finish will be an obvious way into a stronger build up for a match in the future between the two?

No not really, there are ways of losing clean and coming out more over. Likewise a total bull**** finish or a bad match can ruin interest in rematches.

Batista could lose clean as a babyface at Summerslam but still could wrestle Cena at Wrestlemania as a heel and it can be totally fresh.

No not really, there are ways of losing clean and coming out more over. Likewise a total bull**** finish or a bad match can ruin interest in rematches.

Batista could lose clean as a babyface at Summerslam but still could wrestle Cena at Wrestlemania as a heel and it can be totally fresh.

I Don't think a batista heel turn would possibly work right now

• Advertisement

I Don't think a batista heel turn would possibly work right now

See post #30. They been hinting a turn for a long time now.

Batista should have taken the title from Edge at NOC and taken the belt to raw. The hype around Punk was staring to fade and they gave him a title. Batista is working probably the best I have ever seen from him. Since the stretcher match at ONS, he has looked unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Is it just me or does WWE seem more concerned with shocking the viewer rather than entertaining the viewer these days. The Regal/Noble match disgusted me, they gave the boring Cena/Batista confrontation at the start of the show fifteen minutes and the crowd hated it so they decide to give Noble/Regal under five minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Up until the Orton broke I thought Orton, Batista & Priceless would all join together as new faction.
    I've suspected this may happen for a while now. It probably still will. Could be good as well. I wouldn't mind seeing a Legend thrown in as well in the JJ Dillon role. Maybe when Flair's done on his tour of the Indies they'll bring him back.

although it would essentially just be Evolution without HHH then

And?

But now with Batista and Orton as your main guys and two new faces who fit the mould PERFECTLY as you lower card younger guys. Much different I'd say.

And?

well i dont mind the idea of an evolution Mark 2 but just think that bringing back Flair for this isn't needed and would make it too similar to the old Evolution. If someone was to be brought in to fulfill such a role why not Ted Dibiase Snr. Anyway I really would not be shocked to see such a group formed although since his draft to Raw ive expected Deuce to be repacked as Jimmy Snuka Jnr (or sometyhing to that effect) and to get involved with the priceless boys.

well i dont mind the idea of an evolution Mark 2 but just think that bringing back Flair for this isn't needed and would make it too similar to the old Evolution. If someone was to be brought in to fulfill such a role why not Ted Dibiase Snr. Anyway I really would not be shocked to see such a group formed although since his draft to Raw ive expected Deuce to be repacked as Jimmy Snuka Jnr (or sometyhing to that effect) and to get involved with the priceless boys.

Meh, Dibiase's always sucked as a manager.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Meh, Dibiase's always sucked as a manager.

Bad.

Priceless, Orton & Batista can all talk for themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement