Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista - SP1 won't download!

• 11-08-2008 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

I've had my laptop for 8 months now...

I've been trying to download Service Pack 1 for a while. (through Windows Update)

I've waited for it to download and then it says to 'Restart'

Upon doing this it usually gets as far as about '40% of Stage 1 of 3' before saying it has encountered a problem.:mad:

It tries once more before a message comes on screen saying;
    'Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer.'

I've tried again numerous times but I get the same result..

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks a million.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Go back into Windows Update and click on View Update History.
    You should see SP1 there with Failed next to it.
    Double click on that and post the error code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

maki wrote: »
    Go back into Windows Update and click on View Update History.
    You should see SP1 there with Failed next to it.
    Double click on that and post the error code.

OK thanks.....

It's
    Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

Error code : 8007000D

Ok, a few things to check:
    Firstly, if you are running Comodo Firewall, uninstall it completely. It's HIPS functionality sometimes causes Windows Update failures.

Next click Start and type services.msc and hit enter.
    Scroll down to Windows Modules Installer and check that under Startup Type it is listed as either Automatic or Manual.

Try to install the service pack again and after it downloads and it tells you that you must restart, disable your wireless card (usually Fn and F2), then click restart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jellybean08

...That and windows is a pile of pooh!....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

...That and windows is a pile of pooh!....

Lovely, infraction/warning issued for acting the muppet

• Advertisement

Ok, a few things to check:
    Firstly, if you are running Comodo Firewall, uninstall it completely. It's HIPS functionality sometimes causes Windows Update failures.
    I don't use that...
    Next click Start and type services.msc and hit enter.
    Scroll down to Windows Modules Installer and check that under Startup Type it is listed as either Automatic or Manual.
    It's listed as manual...
    Try to install the service pack again and after it downloads and it tells you that you must restart, disable your wireless card (usually Fn and F2), then click restart.
    I'll try this.....if it doesn't work is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for all of your help by the way

No trouble at all.

Microsoft isn't exactly very clear or consistent with it's error codes so one thing 8007000D could mean is Invalid Data, i.e. Windows Update for some reason or another isn't downloading the file properly. To get around this you can download the standalone installer in it's entirety (it's very large at 434MB) from the link below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Also I forgot to mention to disable all antivirus software before installing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

id advise downloading he standalone pack and putting it on a disk somewhere.

it comes in handy if you ever have to format your harddrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

During the install, I might suggest shutting down/disabling your security features, such as the Firewall and Anti-Virus. AV Loves to mess things up during big system operations, especially system restores.

As a last resort you could back up all your treasured data and run the System Recovery tool and take the computer back to Day One. After which vista will download the 50+ updates and hardware drivers it finds and perform a couple restarts. After the 2nd or 3rd run of Windows Update it should find Service Pack 1 again and unless something is really wrong with your system it should go smoothly. After that install yet more updates (Post SP1 Updates) and finally, get all your programs back up, starting with your Anti-Virus and Firewall and Firefox and all that good stuff.

I just got done doing this today after HP wiped my disk clean :pac: Really need to invest in V-Lite.

id advise downloading he standalone pack and putting it on a disk somewhere.

it comes in handy if you ever have to format your harddrive.
    Yeah I think I'll do that....

The Windows Update route failed again..:mad:

• Advertisement

To get around this you can download the standalone installer in it's entirety (it's very large at 434MB) from the link below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Also I forgot to mention to disable all antivirus software before installing.
    OK.....I've done this twice now but I keep getting this error...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like it is just that there are some of your drivers are not up to date. Go through everything and search the manufacturers websites for the latest versions.

Soundman wrote: »
    Sounds like it is just that there are some of your drivers are not up to date. Go through everything and search the manufacturers websites for the latest versions.
    how do you do that then? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Personally I used a program called Driver Detective to help me update my drivers. Cost about $20 I think.

What computer have you got?

Soundman wrote: »
    Personally I used a program called Driver Detective to help me update my drivers. Cost about $20 I think.

What computer have you got?
    samsung r60plus laptop....I've only had it 6 months so I wouldn't have thought it would need driver updates...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

blue-army wrote: »
    samsung r60plus laptop....I've only had it 6 months so I wouldn't have thought it would need driver updates...:confused:
    does though. short answer check all drivers and update.
    Windows Update will recognize PCs with known problematic drivers and postpone downloading Windows Vista SP1 until the PC has updated drivers or other applicable updates. Using Windows Update will help ensure you have the most trouble-free update experience possible.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb968859.aspx

Advertisement