Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSN constantly freezing!

• 11-08-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

OK I know MSN freezes on all computers every now and again but mine has been playing up a lot lately.

In the past it has frozen during conversations etc...But in the past few days it shuts down immediately upon opening it (each time).

It says 'Not Responding'.

I've tried closing it while frozen using Task Manager however this does not work - (I've left it 5mins+ to close - nothing happens!)

I've tried Shutting Down or Restarting the computer. Each time it takes about 1-2mins to respond and then it says 'Logging out' and then 'Shutting Down'.
    However it stays on the 'Shutting Down' screen for ages. I've left it on one for 2hrs:eek:.

Each time I end up having to just manually shutting down the laptop by cutting the power...

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Download Pidgin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I havent had any luck with MSN at all in the last year. I've written it off. Instead, use a multi-IM program like Digsby or Trillian. I prefer Digsby simply because of added gtalk support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Overheal wrote: »
    I havent had any luck with MSN at all in the last year. I've written it off. Instead, use a multi-IM program like Digsby or Trillian. I prefer Digsby simply because of added gtalk support.
    So I can still talk to people using MSN with this programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Pidgin wrote:
    * AIM
    * Bonjour
    * Gadu-Gadu
    * Google Talk
    * Groupwise
    * MSN
    * MySpaceIM
    * QQ
    * SILC
    * SIMPLE
    * Sametime
    * XMPP
    * Yahoo!
    * Zephyr
    Digsby wrote:
    AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber, and Facebook Chat

And performs email monitoring services

Trillian's at the bottom of the feeder IMO as it has a pay-version (for video support - already available in digsby) and only supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IRC and ICQ. Using Digsby already and I like it. Will do a comparison with Pidgin later - which is open source.

Can't say that I've used Digsby so I can't really compare it to Pidgin. I do, however, used AdiumX on my Mac, which, as far as I know, is just a modified version of Pidgin and I think it's pretty sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

There also the Web based version of MSN which wont freeze on you, Just Google MSN Web Messenger. It wont play smilies and you cant nudge, its pretty basic, but it'll do for the time being!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Advertisement

There are a good few web based MSN clients out there.

Ebuddy.com
    meebo.com

if you want some alternatives.

So yeah the reason we've all not heard of digsby (I've only been using it a few weeks) is because its betaware: The latest stable build runs good, and their newest build (less stable) uses up about half the memory of the latter (~30MB) So its not that bad at all.

Advertisement