Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed

Options
  • 11-08-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

Ive just got broadband 1mb today from eircom, but finding it slow. Would it be anything to do with the very severe weather? I also have 'Onspeed' which is supposed to increase the speed of dial up should I now remove this? any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

Run a speedtest at http://www.speedtest.net/ to check out what sort of speeds you're actually getting and post them back here. Run the test a couple of times, as results can often vary.

I'd never heard of onspeed, but looking at its website it purports to work with broadband as well ... but I've no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peugeot207

Hi Moshea,

Thanks for that, I've just been on that site and it says my speed was 157kbs - download
    1738 kbs - upload

does this make sense to you? i had to use Limerick as the nearest area as it doesnt seem to show cork/

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peugeot207

its not even me watch a song on you tube without breaking up every few seconds - surely there is something wrong? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Run speedtest again and whan finished click to copy the forum link and copy it in2 your reply.

With only 1mbit broadband your gonna have to allow Youtube videos to stream a bit before playing. Pause the video instantly and let stream. You even have to do this with faster broadband. Also at this time of the evening you have the most people online and therefore your broadband speeds would be slower as you share your connection with others, ie contention ratio of 48:1

Advertisement