Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test Drove A Car Today (possible clutch problem?)

Options
  • 11-08-2008 9:36pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Went to test drive a 2.0L Gti Almera today and I noticed with the clutch that it was very heavy to press down unlike any car I have driven and it wouldnt go into gear with out been "floored".

Im interested in the car alot but Im wondering is it a clutch problem or is that just the gear box in the car?

(sorry if its a stupid question. but I would rather make sure)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Clutch in the Almera is normally very light and there should be no difficulty in getting the car in gear.

My advice is to leave that car there and keep looking. Plenty out there at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Avns1s wrote: »
    Clutch in the Almera is normally very light and there should be no difficulty in getting the car in gear.

My advice is to leave that car there and keep looking. Plenty out there at the moment.

Thats it. It came as a shock tbh.

Yeah I might do that so. Cheers man!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Could just be a sports clutch...
    I know when my mate got a sports clutch in his Evo it takes a lot more pressure to press than a normal clutch.

^Thats possible. I never drove a "sports car" before so as you said it could be just a sports clutch.

Anyone here drive this model before?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it possible you were just not used to the clutch on that particular car? Maybe it would be worth getting someone else to drive the car and see if they notice the same problem. On the other hand a 2.0 GTi Almera could have had a very hard life at this stage, not unusual for cars like this to have been trashed.

If you are serious about buying the car then get a mechanic to check the car out and mention your concerns about the clutch.

If still in doubt walk away.

• Advertisement

Well even the owner says the clutch is very very heavy, and yeah he does drive it on to the last. But none the less will take it to a mechanic and see what he has to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Well even the owner says the clutch is very very heavy, and yeah he does drive it on to the last. But none the less will take it to a mechanic and see what he has to say!
    are ya mad its likely he drives the sh!te out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Sounds like a uprated clutch possibly a tripple plated one, there typically heavy to press and release and generally a pig for heavy traffic driving.

Ask the owner was it ever replaced when he owned it..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Went to test drive a 2.0L Gti Almera today and I noticed with the clutch that it was very heavy to press down unlike any car I have driven and it wouldnt go into gear with out been "floored".

Im interested in the car alot but Im wondering is it a clutch problem or is that just the gear box in the car?

(sorry if its a stupid question. but I would rather make sure)

I drive a 00 Primera and I had the same issue with it when I started driving it. And there is no problems with it at all.

Advertisement