Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom's New Download Allowances

Options
  • 11-08-2008 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Well I for one am very happy with the latest upgrade - my line's been upgraded and I'm getting consistent speeds of 4.4Mbps.

As of this morning eircom have changed their download allowance page showing my download cap has increased to 50GBs. All good and expected.

However..........

highlighted very clearly on the stats page is the notice

"Note: next month you will have the lower download allowance of 30720 MB"

Has anyone any idea of why this would be the case? I didn't exceed my old allowance in July. Worst I've done in recent months was 45000MB in May, all other months were within the cap allowances.

Any idea anyone? Has anyone else got this notice on their stat screen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Doesn't say it on mine and I've got 43Gb dl'ed this month so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm getting this message as well, anyone know what's going on?

Note: next month you will have the lower download allowance of 30720 MB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

They upgraded the line speed but are not 'upgrading' the cap. I presume because some people are being switched within this cap period they get the higher one...but next month you're back to the cap that existed with your old line speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

I'm a business user, and my cap has increased to 50gb and there are no notices on my usage stats page.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

I called eircom tech support and they said that the 50gb is here to stay for their users who previously had 30gb allowances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm on a business line and is shows as having 50G this month but does have the notice about going back down to 40G next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

I had a 40gb cap last month, so does that mean that the business and the home 7.6meg package are basically the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I had a 40gb cap last month, so does that mean that the business and the home 7.6meg package are basically the same thing?

Not exactly, whilst price contention and caps would be the same you'd have lower SLAs on their end for problems on a business connection than you would with a residential connection.

Basically the difference being they'll get priority over resi customers if there's a callout placed on their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icianom

Eircom have updated their broadband info here regarding new speeds and download allowances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

icianom wrote: »
    Eircom have updated their broadband info [URL=""]here [/URL]regarding new speeds and download allowances.
    Eircom wrote:
    The download speed is up to 7.6Mb. The upload speed is up to 50Mb
    I've a feeling that they still have some work to do on updating that page with the correct details. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

icianom wrote: »
    Eircom have updated their broadband info here regarding new speeds and download allowances.

When I go to that link it says "Welcome back Cian O Mahony"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I get that too. Who's Cian O'Mahony?

50GB download? Good to see Eircon are as uncompetitive as ever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

says session timed out to me,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Cabaal wrote: »
    says session timed out to me,

Same for me now. Weird or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Just a quick question, slightly OT but doesn't need another thread,

I don't have a download cap atm but I was thinking of changing subscription and I'd end up with one if I did but I don't have a notion how much GB I get through in a month so is there anyway of calculating how much you use in a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Same for me now. Weird or what?

The poster of the link included his web page session id in the URL which was valid for a whlie (displaying his name on the page) but then timed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

I'm an existing digiweb subscriber, and I know that there are some digiweb staff on this board ... is it safe to assume that digiweb DSL subscribers will have their traffic allowance increased in line with the new packages from Eircom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Can anybody confirm the cap for the new 7.6meg lines
    I checked mine the other day and it said I was going back to 30gb next month but has
    disappeared in the last day,also there is no information on the 7.6 line on eircoms pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I just checked my eircom stats page and Im on 45 GBs downloaded. My cap is 30 is it likely I'll be charged for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I just checked my eircom stats page and Im on 45 GBs downloaded. My cap is 30 is it likely I'll be charged for this

Very unlikely, In the time I have used this board I have never seen any cases of anyone being charged by Eircom for going over cap and I'm a total broadband section addict. If Eircom were to start charging overusers you would be very low down on that list going over by a relatively small 15gigbytes. There would be lots of people in the 100+ gig range that would be targeted first.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

viboy wrote: »
    I'm an existing digiweb subscriber, and I know that there are some digiweb staff on this board ... is it safe to assume that digiweb DSL subscribers will have their traffic allowance increased in line with the new packages from Eircom ?

they haven't & apparently they have no intention of either :mad:

FFS - 40gig limit on a 7.6meg connection

I was told I could get an extra 10 gigs by paying an extra 9.99 per month :rolleyes:

UTV have an "unlimited" option for 5.99 a month

61610.jpg

I'll let ye kno ;)

They've never charged before, so I doubt they'll suddenly start. Anyway, they've never notified me, I presume I'll get a warning email first

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

How exactly are you (or anybody for that matter) hitting d/l's of 86Gb in that period of time ? I mean, for normal surfing what would you expect to see in a calendar month ?
    I'm not talking about d/l'ing dozens and dozens of movies etc. THAT way I could see the figure go through the roof.
    The reason I ask is 'cos I'm looking to get broadband in the house. Can't decide BT or Eircom (though the latter seems to be fairly pricey by comparison. Not much difference between them service-wise, as backed up by user comments on this site)...
    I'm basically looking at getting broadband in so I don't have to go to Next, Esprit, Benetton etc. every weekend with the missus !! Let her surf instead :D

How exactly are you (or anybody for that matter) hitting d/l's of 86Gb in that period of time ?

Rainy days with kids on Youtube, Google Earth etc, I've a few big torrents (one 45Gb) that I'm running from midnight till morn. I've a torrent server so I just add stuff to the queue. Dl'ed a linux distro other day for a mate that was 4.7GB.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Rainy days with kids on Youtube, Google Earth etc, I've a few big torrents (one 45Gb) that I'm running from midnight till morn. I've a torrent server so I just add stuff to the queue. Dl'ed a linux distro other day for a mate that was 4.7GB.

Quick response there - thanx. Didn't know that YouTube and Google Earth would hammer the download limit....actually I *don't* know why they do, to be more accurate.
    As it happens, I used to d/l AVI movies to my heart's content.....at work!! Now I've moved office and I can't even get to YouTube, so am looking to do this at home, but don't want to get hammered for going over the limits.
    Obviously this forum should be impartial but let's say - is there a tendency or preference towards one provider or another based on user feedback ?

I've stuck with Eircom as they never enforced their download limit, if they do i'll be looking elsewhere. BT did throttle those who went over 100GB on 3mbit with a 30GB cap, they now call it an unlimited cap but have a fair usage policy, therefore its not unlimited. UTV give an option for unlimited for an extra €5.99 a month.

Cheers for that. I suppose I won't be up/downloading to the extent you are to be honest...It's more the speed and contention rate I'd be more concerned with.
    Interestingly, I got a call from BT a week ago promising me that if I go for a 3 Mb line, they will upgrade my line to "speeds of up to 7.5Mb" free gratis. I imagine the 30Gb will apply though.
    UPC don't offer their bundled package out my direction (Leixlip) and they were looking like one of the better offers (which raises another question : hypothetically speaking - :cool: - if one had a descrambler, would it wtill work if you had the UPC service ? Can't get it in my house anyway so maybe it's academic...).
    Eircom seem to be ca €20 a month dearer than the comparable BT product (3 Mb).
    Don't "trust" the smaller fish to be honest e.g. Digiweb, ICE....

Interestingly, I got a call from BT a week ago promising me that if I go for a 3 Mb line, they will upgrade my line to "speeds of up to 7.5Mb" free gratis. I imagine the 30Gb will apply though.

ORLY, WOW :D......................They resell Eircom, all 3mbit dsl customers get upgraded to "up to 7.6mbit", Perlico, Vodafone, Digiweb, BT etc all the same, they all resell Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Cheers for that. I suppose I won't be up/downloading to the extent you are to be honest...It's more the speed and contention rate I'd be more concerned with.
    UPC don't offer their bundled package out my direction (Leixlip) and they were looking like one of the better offers (which raises another question : hypothetically speaking - :cool: - if one had a descrambler, would it wtill work if you had the UPC service ? Can't get it in my house anyway so maybe it's academic...).
    Eircom seem to be ca €20 a month dearer than the comparable BT product (3 Mb).
    Don't "trust" the smaller fish to be honest e.g. Digiweb, ICE....
    You are quick off the mark there son ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055228131

Advertisement