Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom's New Download Allowances

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

jmccrohan wrote: »

:confused: Ehhhh...so what point exactly are you trying to make ? Granted I registered on this site today...
    Point made, if that's what you mean.
    I'm simply looking for advice on the best deal...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've a few big torrents (one 45Gb) that I'm running from midnight till morn.
    Rainbow tables eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've stuck with Eircom as they never enforced their download limit, if they do i'll be looking elsewhere. BT did throttle those who went over 100GB on 3mbit with a 30GB cap, they now call it an unlimited cap but have a fair usage policy, therefore its not unlimited. UTV give an option for unlimited for an extra €5.99 a month.

I've been throttled by BT on the 7.6 package. The website does say unlimited, but the guy on the phone said that even though my line speed has been upgraded, my cap hasn't yet, but will be sometime apparently. Even though it is advertised as unlimited now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Kahless wrote: »
    I've been throttled by BT on the 7.6 package. The website does say unlimited, but the guy on the phone said that even though my line speed has been upgraded, my cap hasn't yet, but will be sometime apparently. Even though it is advertised as unlimited now.

But will they loose the cap and make it unlimited? These guys on the phone are usually just call centre staff and don't know the full story. Only time will tell. Bohrio posted info on here about the new packages but refused to answer any questions about unlimited or fair usage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

But will they loose the cap and make it unlimited? These guys on the phone are usually just call centre staff and don't know the full story. Only time will tell. Bohrio posted info on here about the new packages but refused to answer any questions about unlimited or fair usage policy.

Just got off the phone to BT and asked specifically about the "fair usage" policy. Maybe it's a script they have but the guy reckoned if you breach the 100Gb mark consistently, they *will* take steps to stop you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭viboy

Clearly, their focus is not on DSL. I suspect that the margins are pretty tight on wholesale accounts.

It baffles me as to why they would bother to (re) sell a lesser product that Eircom (not to mention the rest of their competitors) and expect to retain their existing customer base.

And this is from someone who has never gone over 30gb in a month.

Ah well, guess it's time to jump ship.

Any idea what the turnaround time is for moving from digiweb to BT / Eircom.

they haven't & apparently they have no intention of either :mad:

FFS - 40gig limit on a 7.6meg connection

I was told I could get an extra 10 gigs by paying an extra 9.99 per month :rolleyes:

UTV have an "unlimited" option for 5.99 a month

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

viboy wrote: »
    Any idea what the turnaround time is for moving from digiweb to BT / Eircom.
    I imagine it is fairly small. After all, you only have to change your username and password in the router.

I was told this only applies to the metro product - slightly confusing.
    I was told I could get an extra 10 gigs by paying an extra 9.99 per month :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

I was told this only applies to the metro product - slightly confusing.

some girl rang me about taking their telephony service as well as the BB so questioned her about the [non] increase in cap

she was the one that told me about the extra 10 gig for a tenner

had to laff when she said that they (ie digiweb) increased my speed for free
    funny, i thought it was eircom that were responsible for the increase??? :rolleyes:

btw, viboy:

can you have a look at my post here - u having the same problem?

I've been dealing with their support staff on this topic. This is a quote from our last conversation:
    "Regarding the additional traffic usage, this option is only available on our Metro Packages where customers can buy 10G extra"

Perhaps Watty as a digiweb employee could help to clear this up ?

Regarding the RapidShare download speed, I don't use RapidShare much, but yeah in the last week dl speeds from RapidShare seem well below what they should be. After the upgrade I think the max I got was around 50 KB/s

• Advertisement

Regarding the RapidShare download speed, I don't use RapidShare much, but yeah in the last week dl speeds from RapidShare seem well below what they should be. After the upgrade I think the max I got was around 50 KB/s
    Rapidshare servers could be busy?

Torrents will always max out a connection if set up correctly/torrent with a large swarm.

Torrents are a better measure of line speed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just got off the phone to BT and asked specifically about the "fair usage" policy. Maybe it's a script they have but the guy reckoned if you breach the 100Gb mark consistently, they *will* take steps to stop you....

BT can't give you specific info about their FUP because...well its likely not in there interest to do so and instead its roughly outlined in T&C's which states....
    There is no hard and fast usage limit that determines if you are a heavy user as the parameters that determine heavy use vary with the demands placed on the network at that given time..........

...BT reserves the right to take such action as it deems appropriate against customers who violate any conditions of the Acceptable Usage Policy. In such cases, services may be limited, interrupted or terminated after reasonable attempts have been made where appropriate to contact the customer. ..
    http://www.btireland.ie/legalUsage.shtml

Your wasting your time looking for set "limits" as they're not going to give you this in writing,

Advertisement