Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown to UCD

Options
  • 11-08-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Well its that time of year and the great scramble for student accomodation has begun. Unfortuneatly the finances aren't in great shape and I've spent this summer getting them partially in order. With the prices around befield shooting up the the €450 per month level without bills I'm not going to be able to afford to live in or around befield in general. A mate of mine has offered me a place out by blanchardstown for a token rent.

As per usual I'll be bringing down my trek 7.5fx and my topeak rack and bag system (for college books etc) for the commute. I'm wondering how long should I allow for the journey and is it realistic to do this kind of distance day in day out?

Any long distancers out there? Replies from the boards cycling "hard corps" appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

neilled wrote: »
    Any long distancers out there? Replies from the boards cycling "hard corps" appreciated!

Depending on exactly where you are, I'd say about 40 mins to an hour would get you out to UCD. Certainly doable, though tiriing in the winter months. This route or something similar would be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I did Leixlip to UCD for 1st year, took me an hour twenty on the bus the first day, 45 minutes on the bike the following - didn't look back. I also did 3 gym sessions a week, and spins on both Saturday and Sunday summing to at least 9 hours. I say this not to boast, but because after a couple of weeks your body simply adapts. You will not however get used to getting back into wet cycling gear, for that I'm afraid you'll just have to get philosophical.

Get a locker in college. Get two good locks and use a sheltered bike rack (I used comp sci). Get mud guards.
    Don't be afraid to get the bus home every once in a while. But honestly, it just becomes routine. You won't always like it, but hey it could be worse, you could be on the bus.

Also, get good lights, two l.e.d's on the rear, and a constant and l.e.d for the front. Make sure to remove them from the bike every day. I glued mine once because I was sick of them being taken, they were just snapped off instead...

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Is the train an option? Castleknock or Coolmine to Pearse, DART to whatever, bus to UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

daymobrew wrote: »
    Is the train an option? Castleknock or Coolmine to Pearse, DART to whatever, bus to UCD?

It may be an option, but it's not cycling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

daymobrew wrote: »

I did that for a while, and its a balls (crap train times and 1hr20mins is the best time it could be done in). I DON'T recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I do 15km each way and I think a good few others here do too. It's grand, no problems with it 5 days a week.

The awkward part will be changing when you get into college. I dunno what the deal with UCD gym is, but if you are a member you could change and shower in there possibly.

Tiny's route looks quite nice actually, going through the park. I'll be looking for a job in Blanch actually, so might be doing the reverse route.. hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It may be an option, but it's not cycling! :D
    BikeOld01Cropped20080205.bmpBikeOld02Cropped20080205.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I live near the Halfway House on the Navan Rd on the way out to Blanch and cycle in and out to UCD each day. At the start it's a bit tiring but after a few weeks you'll have no problems doing it Monday to Friday. There's no problems using the showers in the Sports centre - after a while you'll start to recognise all the regular cycling commuters!

My cycle takes about 40 minutes; express bus takes over an hour; train & bus combo also takes over an hour. Cycling by far the best option!

Advertisement