Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years in Sydney

• 11-08-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm trying to book accomodation in Sydney for New Years. And it's turning out to be a major MAJOR pain in the ass. Everything seems to be booked and I'm starting to panic. I've tried all the sites listed in the sticky, as well as millions of others and i'm only getting one hostel that is available for the 4 nights and costs nearly 50 quid a night for a dorm room! Does anybody have any ideas please?? This can't be possible, surely? Sydneys, like, massive. You'd think if you book FIVE months ahead you'd be ok.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The problems you are having is some hostels only book a minimum a week etc for that season

http://www.hostelbookers.com/booking/form.cfm?x_msg=noFuseaction

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Thanks hussey. I'm dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Nope. Still booked up. Looks like it's Brisbane for Christmas. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I'v rented a camper from Melbourne for 10 days and leaving it in Sydney on the 5th of jan.Will be in Sydney from the 30th and gonna find a parking spot a couple of miles from the par-tay.Bingo-bango-bongo,you've got yourself accommodation....o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You could try here. http://www.thewomenscollege.com.au/casual-accomodation.php

Stayed here last year, parents paid for it though. Abit more pricey than a hostel but if you're stuck... breakfast is included and you can sneak in for lunch and dinner! Really clean and close to the city 5/10 mins bus ride.

• Advertisement

Nope. Still booked up. Looks like it's Brisbane for Christmas. :(

Some will still be available at xmas time, not all, but some.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jidsudap

I'm in the same predicament! I've been trying for awhile and nothings coming up. There's 3 of us, landing in sydney on the 28th of dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 sputnik2_2000

Hey I'm in the same boat... Heading over in November till after the New Year, there's four of us travelling together and we have emailed & rang sooo many places but no joy... we were going to buy a car in Cairns for doing the east coast but now we're looking into a campervan instead and then we have at least somewhere to sleep for whenever we can't get anything...

all hostels hold out for week bookings, so you can either bite the bullet and book a week or you can hold off and see if there are cancellations (so youi can stay 3 days as opposed to 7)

usually the week booking is better, as cancellations are pretty rare, and they can pretty much charge what they want for rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

We just booked accom for sydney on a reccommadation of a friend, the place we booked asks if you're staying for new yrs you stay for xmas too, which suits us. we booked 2 weeks easily enough, i did notice tho, that on some of the hostel websites like hostel world etc were showing this one as booked up for xmas, but then i emailed them directly and they had availability. Try emailing hostels directly when poss.

It is expensive tho this one ads on $15 per head per night over the xmas/ new yrs period. We booked a private room which was $30+$15 per night (€26 p.night p.head), but we'll be just finished doing loads of travelling so figured we'd stay somewhere decent for xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Get onto Gumtree Sydney and post an ad that you are looking for accomodation over these particular dates. A lot of Irish / British ex-pats will make a trip home around this time of year and sometimes if they are in share housing they will happily rent their room for a week for circa $130-160. Depends on how many people etc etc but it is a reasonably common thing to do. The people at home on holiday are having their rent paid and you are getting a place to stay with facilities.

Another option is the NoBills-NoBond accomodation but this is usually on a minimum 1 month rental. But if you're staying around for a bit you could do worse than stay in one of these joints.
    Especially good one out in Newtown which is one of the best suburbs in Sydney with THE best restaurants and some great pubs. Also only a couple of stops from city on train.
    I cant remember the website of the Newtown accom but it's easily googled i imagine.

Advertisement