Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel NTL/UPS contract when moving abroad

Options
  • 11-08-2008 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of switching from Eircom to NTL for broadband to availe their faster speeds. The issue is I am not 100% sure to be in Ireland for the next 12 months.

So my question is: if I was to move abroad in a few months, would it be possible to break the 12 months contract with no financial penalty? I read the contract and didn't find anything but I am thinking of you move somewhere where they can not provide service they should let you stop the contract free of charge ...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Bob24 wrote: »
    I am thinking of switching from Eircom to NTL for broadband to availe their faster speeds. The issue is I am not 100% sure to be in Ireland for the next 12 months.

So my question is: if I was to move abroad in a few months, would it be possible to break the 12 months contract with no financial penalty? I read the contract and didn't find anything but I am thinking of you move somewhere where they can not provide service they should let you stop the contract free of charge ...

No one forces you to take out NTL's BB or anyone else's for that matter.

You are fully aware of the commitment to a 12 month contract. If you know that you cannot fulfil the contract requirements then either don't take it out
    or approach NTL and see if you can come to some agreement with them for a shorter period.

What you appear to be asking is 'is it ok to take out the contract and do a runner?':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They will most likely try to get you for the remaining months but sure all you can do is try, could always sign up then cancel the DD but pay it by cash in post office.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DjeInSlanchaLan

Bob24 wrote: »

i got a friend that had them and when he moved he couldn't get their service, so he canceled the contract before end of the 12 month, they told him that he had to pay, he told them to **** off as it was their fault but they still wanted to take the money so he just cancelled the direct debit. they didn't pick up the money and didn't do anything

my advise ? don't be nice to them they won't be to you and don't bother for the 12 month contract and take it if you leave before then to bad for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭KJ_2008

dub45 wrote: »
    No one forces you to take out NTL's BB or anyone else's for that matter.

You are fully aware of the commitment to a 12 month contract. If you know that you cannot fulfil the contract requirements then either don't take it out
    or approach NTL and see if you can come to some agreement with them for a shorter period.

What you appear to be asking is 'is it ok to take out the contract and do a runner?':rolleyes:

What a pathetically smart-arsed response to the OP's perfectly reasonable query! "No one forces you to take out NTL's BB" - where on earth did the OP suggest he or she was being forced to take out anything?!

And where does the OP suggest he or she intends doing a runner? Nowhere.

Mod or not, if this is all you can offer to posters asking genuine questions then keep your paws off your keyboard. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 collie1312

60. We may amend or vary the terms of this Agreement from time to time by posting an amended version of these
    terms and conditions to our Website (and any such amendment or variation shall be effective on the fifth day following
    such posting). However you will have the right to terminate this Agreement if the changes have a materially adverse
    financial affect.

This looks the only way out bob.
    If they change the agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

collie1312 wrote: »
    60. We may amend or vary the terms of this

This looks the only way out bob.
    If they change the agreement.

Cheers KJ_2008/collie1312.

The reason I was asking is actually that I am sure they have extra-rules which are not in the contract, for example when I moved house 2 years ago and they could not offer service in the new place they cancelled the service and I didn't have to pay anything.

Anyway I emailed them with no reply and the salesrep on the phone was not very helpful ... so I went for BT which is also offering a good speed increase and only has a 6 month commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 collie1312

No problem bob24.

I was thinking of moving to them too, but was wondering how much more they will add onto the bill after all the charges (tax,rental,line) have been added.

Im thinking of going for the Digital TV and Broadband for €40. pm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

collie1312 wrote: »
    No problem bob24.

I was thinking of moving to them too, but was wondering how much more they will add onto the bill after all the charges (tax,rental,line) have been added.

Im thinking of going for the Digital TV and Broadband for €40. pm

Er, then you will pay €40 pm, nothing more.

Taxes are included and UPC don't have a line rental.

Unless you don't want to pay by direct debit, then I think there is an extra €2 charge.

Advertisement