Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada

• 11-08-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at honeymoon options at the moment and have decided on Vegas for at least 5 nights. Its fairly easy to get details on Vegas but I have a few queries on Canada from those who have been there.
    Planning on arriving in Montreal, stayin there for a few nights, then renting a car, going to Toronto for a few nights and maybe get to see Niagra falls.
    After that intend to travel across it via, Sault Ste Marie, Sudbury, Thunderbay, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, staying a night or two in all them depending on what we think of them (just to break up the trip really and see a bit of the place) then finally end up in Vancouver for 3-4 days. (Flying to Vegas after that)

How practical is is to drive in this manner? (Is there a train option maybe?)
    Is there anything really worth seeing near the route I plan to take outside of the towns I have mentioned?
    Are there any beaches on the West coast near Vancouver?
    What is the type of weather in Vancouver in August?

Thanks for any help or advise.
    If canada doesnt work out in the planning we may go to the Florida area.

Kippy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Definitely go to Niagara Falls. It is breathtaking. I was there in 2002 and took these two videos. These are good, but it is even better seeing it for real:

Niagara Falls.

The Maid of the Mist.

Canada is a great country to visit. I didn't get to see as much as you intend to. It is big. It's the second largest country in the world, don't forget. A friend of mine was over there a number of years ago, and at one stage did a 50 hour bus journey, and that was just in one part of Canada. Let's just say driving from Montreal to Vancouver isn't like going from Dublin to Galway. :) You may need to think about some of the practicalities a bit more, but definitely go to Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Flukey wrote: »
    Definitely go to Niagara Falls. It is breathtaking. I was there in 2002 and took these two videos. These are good, but it is even better seeing it for real:

Niagara Falls.

The Maid of the Mist.

Canada is a great country to visit. I didn't get to see as much as you intend to. It is big. It's the second largest country in the world, don't forget. A friend of mine was over there a number of years ago, and at one stage did a 50 hour bus journey, and that was just in one part of Canada. Let's just say driving from Montreal to Vancouver isn't like going from Dublin to Galway. :) You may need to think about some of the practicalities a bit more, but definitely go to Canada.
    Cheers for this information Flukey, this is exactly what I am needing to hear.
    I see how big the distances are. We were hoping to spend three weeks there, giving us around 2 weeks of driving/travel time between toronto and vancouver.
    Are trains a viable option over there I wonder.
    Kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Given its size, flights might be a better option. On a holiday like that, you do not want to be doing too much driving. Pick a few places that you really want to go and base things around those. Someone here might know, but you might be able to get a ticket which gives you a sort of unlimited flights within a set period. Check with the travel agents. If you use the same airline for all your flights, there might be some sort of deal that can be done.

Niagara Falls is a few hours from Toronto, so an easy day trip from it. There is also a town called Niagara on the Lake which is enroute, which is nice to visit. You could do an organised trip from Toronto which takes it all in. So you could base yourself in Toronto for a few days. Pick a few other cities and do the same kind of thing. Pick some of the more rural or wilder areas, to get away from the cities too. Canada would have lots of places like that. Do a bit of research. In short, you could do a bit of driving for a few days, maybe some recommended drives, but you are probably better off looking at other options for the majority of your time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I would go by train it will be far easier because of the distance.

Once went from Montreal to Niagra falls and it took nearly 10 hours.

I loved Montreal it's a great city, also stayed in the town on Niagra, it was nearly full of American's who came over the boarder so they could drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Your route takes a bit of a loop in SK/AL, flat out driving, that would take you the guts of 10 days. Also, the Trans-Canada Highway doesn't go to Edmonton or Saskatoon, so I'd recommend cutting out those 2, and head to Regina instead.

As for Vancouver, I've been here for 2 months now, and there's plenty of beaches around. Some nice ones down by the US border, and then the shores of English Bay have a lot of good beaches - Kitsilano, Jericho, Spanish Banks, though I couldn't really tell you about the North shore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

toronto is a great city. We did the usual- cn tower, casa loma and the islands on ontario lake(i would really recommend this).We did niagara falls which is amazing but on the way we stopped in a little village/town called niagara on the lake( this is separate from niagara where the falls are). This was a really beautiful quaint village with loads of b&bs and a hotel-prince of wales i think.Would be worth staying a night for your honeymoon-very romantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RobertWill

I live in canada and if you would like I could tell you some great places to go, PM me if you would like to know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lahinch9

I would reccomend the west coast, Vancouver fab city has it all.. head over the rocy mountains up to jasper then down to (pass through the icefields) Banff and on down to Calgary. If you are into scenery you wont do better..

Advertisement