Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused Entry

Options
  • 11-08-2008 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Not sure if right forum so mods please move if so

What is the standing on being refused entry to a nightclub? My friend all of asudden stopped gaining entry and not one to think anything of it let it go. He has gone back a few times and same thing. I thought something wrong there and went with him and another lad on friday and we were all refused. Thing is i am going there best part of ten years. They've got new doormen so that might be it. We knew the head doorman from being there so long, but he is on hols(rumour has it he is gone though) i asked then to speak to who was filling in for him and the whole place shut up unitll one of the doormen started talking about football. Have emailed the place in question, but surprise surprise no reply.
    Anyone know where i could follow this up as i couldn't believe the gaw of these lads, you'd think they owned the place. We didn't get loud, we didn't get rude. One of the doormen said that my freind was messing and that was why he wasn't getting in, this guy doesn't even dance. Just stands, drinks and goes out for the odd smoke. Why was i refused then and my other friend.
    Sorry for the long rant, but just to give as much detail as possible. Any help/advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You've pretty much recourse on this matter. Pubs, clubs and their staff, can refuse admission for any reason, or no reason at all. Keep trying, or go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

jor el wrote: »
    You've pretty much recourse on this matter. Pubs, clubs and their staff, can refuse admission for any reason, or no reason at all. Keep trying, or go elsewhere.

Without hijacking this thread, why then do I read about people getting compensation after bringing cases under Equality legislation? Itinerants mainly but possibly others do it too.

Of course, they shouldn't be discriminated against but they have the opportunity to start legal cases and the OP's friends has no option at all? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

micmclo wrote: »
    Without hijacking this thread, why then do I read about people getting compensation after bringing cases under Equality legislation? Itinerants mainly but possibly others do it too.

Of course, they shouldn't be discriminated against but they have the opportunity to start legal cases and the OP's friends has no option at all? :confused:

But the op isn't being discriminated against - he has just as much equality in being refused as any other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

micmclo wrote: »

afaik, it has to be because of race, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or membership of the travelling community (i think that's all of them) for it to be discrimination. Other than that, they're free to decide any reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    afaik, it has to be because of race, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or membership of the travelling community (i think that's all of them) for it to be discrimination. Other than that, they're free to decide any reason

A while back a lad (in Waterford I think) successfully brought a case after being refused entry to a night club / disco bar because he was wearing sandals. Don't recall what grounds he used.

It reminded me of the old joke on the absurdity of club admissions policy that Adolf Hitler would be admitted cos he wore a shirt and tie but Jesus Christ wouldn't cos he wore sandals! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

But the op isn't being discriminated against - he has just as much equality in being refused as any other person.

No he has less provided he is white, Irish and straight no reason need be provided and there's nothing he can do, if he falls into a "minority" category of race, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or membership of the travelling community then reason must be provided or they can sue for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    No he has less provided he is white, Irish and straight no reason need be provided and there's nothing he can do, if he falls into a "minority" category of race, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation or membership of the travelling community then reason must be provided or they can sue for cash.

Actually I wouldn't be so sure of that. If they give the reason as being for one of those mentioned, then that would be discriminatory, but if they give no reason at all, as is this case, then I don't see how it could be.

The law, a few years ago, made it illegal to refuse entry without good reason. That was reascended though, and now they can refuse without reason, or for pretty much any reason then like, bar religion, race, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

lugha wrote: »
    A while back a lad (in Waterford I think) successfully brought a case after being refused entry to a night club / disco bar because he was wearing sandals. Don't recall what grounds he used.

I heard a story like this (probably the same case). The version i heard was that both he and his wife/girlfriend were wearing sandles and they allowed her in but refused him admission on the basis that he was wearing snadles. he sued for sexual discrimination and won.

NB I have heard this through the grapevine on numerous occasions, have never seen a newspaper article confirming it. Its all word of mouth so far so don't take this as gospel from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

I heard a story like this (probably the same case). The version i heard was that both he and his wife/girlfriend were wearing sandles and they allowed her in but refused him admission on the basis that he was wearing snadles. he sued for sexual discrimination and won.

NB I have heard this through the grapevine on numerous occasions, have never seen a newspaper article confirming it. Its all word of mouth so far so don't take this as gospel from me!

It appears to be true. See page 21 of http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/uploadedfiles/AboutUs/Legal_review2002.pdf

Advertisement