Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stockholm

• 05-01-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Im off to Sweden in the morning and when Im not looking at the blondes I dont know what else to do. What is there of interest in Stockholm. Anyone ever been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭action jackson

was there a couple of years ago, and yes it is true what they say, stunners everywhere ! no fat birds ! city is on 7 islands, central one called galma stam, worth a look, lots of winding side streets and odd shops. take a boat trip around the islands, quite interesting ! evenings would recommend sky bar, very cool. there are a few others and probably more have opened since I was there, but of course there are irish bars for good craic ! also a tiger tiger nightclub.

have fun !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Was living in Malmo/Lund in south of Sweden for a couple of months between october and a few weeks ago. I was only in Stockholm for a few hours but the one thing that struck me was the transport system,,,you'll have no probs moving around. If you can get an x2000 train down to Malmo, the journey alone is worth it at this time of year. Was on it a couple of weeks ago and the snow was beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

by the way there are no skangers or equivelant of them in Sweden. Lot of beautiful girls.:) Couldnt trust them though...If you could mix the looks of a Swedish girl mixed with the trustworthiness of an Irish girl you're laughin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

heading to stockholm myself in december...anyone have anything to add to the above posts about stockholm? Recomendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Rockee wrote: »
    by the way there are no skangers or equivelant of them in Sweden. Lot of beautiful girls.:) Couldnt trust them though...If you could mix the looks of a Swedish girl mixed with the trustworthiness of an Irish girl you're laughin!

I find them much more trustworthy tbh. And snow?? Havent seen any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

There's a lot of christmas markets around now in december, they're nice place to buy little gifts and chocolates, you have the ice bar aswell, grona lund is open again now its a theme park and there's a christmas market in there aswell, should go to the vasa museum its really good, go to gamla stan(the old town) its reallt nice there and you can go on a tour of the royal palace and go see the changing of the guards aswell..go on one of the archaeopelago(don't know how to spell it) tours they're really nice get to see all the islands..there's also an ice skating rink in the centre(by tgi fridays)when u get there u'll know it..it's nice to go in the evenings it feels really christmassy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Vasa is the best place I think. The rink beside TGI Fridays is nice too as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thecheese

Going there in March, but have never been. If you could post how you got on over there when you get back it would be much appreciated. Still looking for accomodation too so if anybody could reccomend good hotels in good areas.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

ill be over there for end of feb-early march.im just booking one of the many good hostels over there.sure its somewhere different and the women are crackin, what more do ya need.cant wait now.if anyone has any experiences or advice please pass it on.cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

ive heard sweden and the scandinavian countries are very expersive is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

was there a couple of years ago, and yes it is true what they say, stunners everywhere ! no fat birds ! city is on 7 islands, central one called galma stam, worth a look, lots of winding side streets and odd shops. take a boat trip around the islands, quite interesting ! evenings would recommend sky bar, very cool. there are a few others and probably more have opened since I was there, but of course there are irish bars for good craic ! also a tiger tiger nightclub.

have fun !

Whereabouts is the tiger tiger niteclub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Heading over there this weekend.
    Anyone have any suggestions for cool/ unusual things to see when I'm there?

Not too interested in Art Galleries and the likes. We're more into the fun and weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

anyone been? what's your opinions on the city? expensive?

thinking about goin there in september and was wondering what the weather would be like....

would consider Gothenburg if anyone has any experiences to share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

only been in march - same prices as dublin - so expensive. quiet and small enough, but i really enjoyed it, has a nice old town, bit cheaper and more homely. good museums. didn't see much of the nightlife tbh so i'm no help there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

i was there last week.

It was lovely. The weather was good - very warm and rainy at times. But didnt put a dampner on it.

The city was lovely - well the amount i saw was.

Price was it was ok. Dublin prices - except in the main niteclub/pub area - stureplan, it was very expensive. Twice the price for drinks. Stay away.

Besides stureplan - the nightlife was fantastic. They seem to be big into karaoke, most bars/pubs had them, even some nightclubs with bars.

The sweedish were very friendly also.

The place i stayed was a fantastic hostel - best hostel ive ever been in.

Warrenaldo, whats the name of the hostel you stayed in?

It wouldnt be much of a drinking holiday, just sightseeing. Will be bringing my camera so intend to take loads of photos. Would three nights be enough do you think? Also I heard it get dark about 3pm in the winter. What time do you think it would get dark in early september? would it be cold?

thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Moved here 4 months ago with work. Lovely city a good time to move also with the summer starting. Don't have enough inside knowledge yet suggest much more then you are going to get from a guidebook alas.

Check out.

The Vasa museum coupled with a stroll around Djurgarden and the outdoor Skansen Museum.

A boat trip out to the archipeligo (sp) still have to do this myself.

A walking tour perhaps of the old town (Gamla Stan) or just stroll around yourself. I am fortunate enough to live in this area and its very nice with teh cafe's and pubs close for a wonder around. Check out the Medieval pub on Stora Nygatan often with people in traditional garb from the period singing and chanting on the weekend and serves mead.

For nightlife thats not as posh are Stureplan you can head over to Sodermalm. Good selection of pubs to be had there. Make sure you get to Mossebacke particuarly if the weather is good a large outdoor beergarden type place also with other areas that are indoors with a lovely view over the city. Failing that get the lift up to the Gondolen restaurant / Terrace bar and you can see out from there.

There is hostel in Gamla Stan just off Stortorget its ideally placed but no idea how good it is prices for a dorm are about 250 SEK a night if memory serves.

thanks Woden. Are you saying that the summer is only just starting now?

also is it expensive eating out? not in any posh restaurants, just a place to get some quick grub.

The last couple of weeks the weather has not been so good. It is still warm and sunny but there is quite a few showers. So not sure how long is left in the summer. The weather was just sweet around mid June.

Its reasonable enough to eat out not so much of a tipping culture. You can get a good lunch for about 10 euro pastas or some fish and potatoes etc. Some takeway pizza and kebab joints for cheaper and dinners for <20 euro.

Depending on where you drink beer can be expensive enough one of the local pubs e.g semi irish semi swedish has a great selection of beers albeit in the 6 euro price range http://www.wirstromspub.se/ and life music in the cellar tues to sat. Blues and jazz typically. Menu on the website will give you an idea of some food prices also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

City Backpackers Hostel was the place i stayed.
    It was very central to everything. Right in the middle of the city.
    Great atmosphere and friendly people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

If you're going for more than a day, don't miss Skansen.
    http://www.skansen.se/
    It's fantastic!
    Try to go to Hagaparken (in Solna just outside the city centre) as well.
    Depending on your budget the above af Chapman is a good value alternative. If your feeling like spending a bit more the next one up would be Langholmen hotell, it's actually an old jail and the surroundings are stunning, it's very centrally located too.
    Two really good boutique hotels would be Lydmar or Berns. Lydmar also has a cool bar in the lobby.

If you want to go out, yes Stureplan is an option and yes indeed you get to watch the gorgoeus ppl but it could be very likely the only thing you'll be doing. Door policies are extremely strict and beautiful ppl (hmm, me generalising? Never!) tend to be a bit poncey.
    Your best bet to go out and have a proper laugh is Soder. Still lots of beautiful ppl (you can't go wrong, it is still Sweden we're talking bout here;)) and that much more relaxed.

To go around the city is as easy as pie. You get your bum on the metro and it will take you literally everywhere. Also everyone in Sweden talks english, even the grannies do! And if you bump into a 6-year old he might have the lingo down better than the granny. So if your lost or if you need tips on where to go or where to dine or what to see, just ask a Swede They love polishing up on their English.

Aaaaaah, got a little bit homesick writing you the above novel. Hope it helps. Enjoy och valkommen till Stockholm!:)

Oh I forgot, the weather. It could be anything. But September is usually pre-autumnally beautiful. But do bring some warm clothes just in case. heh, woops I might have sounded like a mammy there.....

Price wise, yup, pretty much the same as in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

a bit off topic here but thinking of heading over soon but not sure what area is best to stay in. Want to be as central as possible so which area is most central. We were looking at Old Town, Stureplan or Sodermalm? Want to be near restaurants, bars etc..

Depends on what you want to do. See Stockholm is quite spread out but on the other hand if you stay in any of those places you're never more than 5 minutes on the Metro to anywhere in the city centre.

If you want tips on hotels well see the above. The af Chapman is a hostel, and it's close to both Sodermalm and The Old Town (Gamla Stan).
    If you want to stay around Stureplan that's your best bet if you're not saving on accommodation. Hotels there would be around the 150EUR per night mark but they're really good quality and I'm sure you can find a good deal on lastminute.com or the like. If you're unsure on what hotel to book, feel free to PM and I'll tell you how far it is from stuff to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

thanks curlypinkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Does anyone know if you can get a train from Copenhagen to Stockholm for a day trip? If you can would there be a city tour bus near the train station in Stockholm? Would love to do a day trip there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Heading to Stockholm in a few weeks for a few days and wondered if anybody had any recommendations of things to do there.

I suppose we'll do some of the obvious ones like visit Gamla Stan, The Royal Palace, The Ice Bar, etc.

Any good bars, restaurants, sight-seeing trips or things and places you found fun and interesting that you would recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 boonen

check out the Wasa Museum

Technical Museum
    Grona Lund Fun Fair
    Go to bars, talk to local talent

Take a boat trip out to the archipelago

Go for a walk around djurgården and perhaps check out Skansen

Check out downstairs on la habana bar sveavägan on the weekend for some nice cocktails and salsa dancing

Monks cafe bar is also on sveavägen. With a large selection of beers from around the world

There are some nice bars and restaurants on Rörstrandsgatan. Get the green line T-bana to Sankt Eriksplan.

Head over to Södermalm and up to Mosebacke Torg for a nice outdoor bar overlooking the city. There are also a few clubs there

Ruby grill is a nice restaurant on Österlånggatan in Gamla Stan.

East is a nice fusion restaruant up at Stureplan.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Are there any good and not too expensive multi-pass tickets available for unlimited admission to Museums, T-Bana travel etc. that you might reccommend Woden?

Yep, here http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/Information/Buy--Order/The-Stockholm-card/
    With the Stockholm Card in your hand you can choose from 75 attractions in Stockholm. Browse excellent museums with art, aristocrats, world heritage, Vikings, the Nobel Prize, technology, and design. Ride a sightseeing boat or ferry, the subway, an SL bus, or a streetcar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

If you haven't left already, I highly reccomend Skansen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

hi all,
    heading to malmo last weekend in nov with a couple of lads, any pointers on where best to stay and go out? basically looking for nice central hotel, few good bars and decent clubs.
    Appreciate any pointers

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

M three wrote: »
    hi all,
    heading to malmo last weekend in nov with a couple of lads, any pointers on where best to stay and go out? basically looking for nice central hotel, few good bars and decent clubs.
    Appreciate any pointers

Head across to Kobenhaven, it has later drinking and its better bars/clubs!!

My Swedish mate from Malmo when she's home, she tends to head there as the licensing laws are more lax (and when I visited with her we did likewise!). Having been to other other parts of Sweden, and also Denmark I would agree with her on that and I found Denmark always to be cheaper not by much though.

Lund apparently which is near Malmo is meant to better on the Swedish side for a party. Haven't made it there quite yet, so can't confirm that.

Advertisement